New research published in Stroke has linked the risk of suffering a stroke to the presence of a certain type of antibody in the immune system. According to the study, researchers may now be able to develop a vaccine that can mobilize the body's own defence against arteriosclerosis and stroke.
The study compared 227 individuals who had suffered stroke over a 13-year period with 445 sex and age-matched controls. After controlling for other risk factors (age, sex, smoking habits, cholesterol levels, diabetes, BMI and blood pressure), they were able to show that low levels (below 30 per cent of average) of PC antibodies correlated with a higher risk of stroke, which in women meant an almost three-fold increase.
The researchers have now advanced the hypothesis that low levels of natural PC antibodies, which can be a condition of a poor immune system – contribute to the development of arteriosclerosis and its consequences, which include stroke.
"We're now examining the possibility of developing new immunological treatments for arteriosclerosis and stroke, either in the form of a vaccine to stimulate the immune defence or immunisation through the injection of antibodies," says co-author Professor Johan Frostegård of the Karolinska Institutet.
Citation: Fiskesund et al., 'Low levels of antibodies against phosphorylcholine predict development of stroke in a population based study from Northern Sweden', Stroke, February 2010; doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.109.558742
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- What Gets Credit For Smoking Declines? Big Pharma And Taxes, Says UCSF Paper
- Asteroid Day Today, 30th June - Let's Find These Rocks And Deflect Them
- Paving Way for Mars Colonization
- Collinsium Ciliosum: New Species Of ‘Super-Armored’ Worm Discovered
- I Don't Use The Term 'Miracle' Very Often, But...
- "The author makes a good point the final comment. How can anyone say E-Cigarettes are more appealing..."
- "In my Mathematics History studies, I came across this wonderful episode.I also have read Frenkel’s..."
- "The video I saw from LEXUS Hoverboad ramp shows the board floating and inch above the ground not..."
- "Thanks to the writer of this piece for showing some skepticism. I would urge anyone interested..."
- "Much appreciated. Venting can be very therapeutic, especially since I have a hardware store full..."