North Carolina farmers and landowners are participating in program to grow giant miscanthus grass for renewable products using underutilized and marginal land.
Giant miscanthus grass is a rapidly renewable biomass crop that provides a viable economic alternative for many farmers and landowners with underutilized and marginal land that might otherwise lay dormant or fail to provide annual profits.
Perennial giant miscanthus grows well under a range of soil and environmental conditions. It requires little to grow and maintain. It's a simple, convenient and profitable crop to raise.
Planting biomass at commercial scale includes solving the significant challenge of establishing rhizome-propagated crops.
Repreve Renewables Accu Drop planter. Credit: Repreve Renewables, LLC
North Carolina farmers Chris Hester and Ashely Singletary in Bladen County, and Ben Stancill in Pitt County, are among the first to adopt this inventive approach to diversified land management.
"Chris, Ashely and Ben are trailblazers in growing this alternative crop," said Jeff Wheeler, chief executive officer of Repreve Renewables, the company behind the Accu-Yield System, which significantly reduces the risk of growing a new crop while providing other benefits. Environmental benefits include improved soil composition, reduced use of inputs compared to other crops and enhanced soil and water conservation.
Economic benefits come from leveraging underutilized and marginal land for producing a profitable crop.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- IQ: Why 1904 Testing Shouldn't Be Used Today
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Frankenworm: Heads And Brains Of One Species Grown On Body Of Another
- " It was the National Academy of Sciences in a 1970 report who said DDT had probably saved more..."
- "In which country is 40000 euros *not* high? :-)..."
- "it is really disturbing to see that teaching doesn't learn from it's own best practices.... I found..."
- " What makes this time around more significant than 2003? or 2008? or 2012? Again, what are your..."
- "Don't forget, he lives in a different time zone than the majority of the people who post here...."