North Carolina farmers and landowners are participating in program to grow giant miscanthus grass for renewable products using underutilized and marginal land.
Giant miscanthus grass is a rapidly renewable biomass crop that provides a viable economic alternative for many farmers and landowners with underutilized and marginal land that might otherwise lay dormant or fail to provide annual profits.
Perennial giant miscanthus grows well under a range of soil and environmental conditions. It requires little to grow and maintain. It's a simple, convenient and profitable crop to raise.
Planting biomass at commercial scale includes solving the significant challenge of establishing rhizome-propagated crops.
Repreve Renewables Accu Drop planter. Credit: Repreve Renewables, LLC
North Carolina farmers Chris Hester and Ashely Singletary in Bladen County, and Ben Stancill in Pitt County, are among the first to adopt this inventive approach to diversified land management.
"Chris, Ashely and Ben are trailblazers in growing this alternative crop," said Jeff Wheeler, chief executive officer of Repreve Renewables, the company behind the Accu-Yield System, which significantly reduces the risk of growing a new crop while providing other benefits. Environmental benefits include improved soil composition, reduced use of inputs compared to other crops and enhanced soil and water conservation.
Economic benefits come from leveraging underutilized and marginal land for producing a profitable crop.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Wave-Particle Duality And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- Enlightenment Finding Eternity In The Now
- "When I run into the religious Climate Change believers I just start showing them one of the dozens..."
- "In the real world we don't know enough to accurately predict the effects of anything on anything..."
- "As one who has more than dabbled in the area of Quantum Gravity for years I agree with this.  ..."
- "Explain to me how attacking Mehmet Oz over and over again makes people safe? He isn't killing..."
- "Number 9 isn't accurate. The secret of making money off of climate change is to convince governments..."