A paper in Zootaxa describes a new species of spider, Cebrennus rechenbergi, the only spider that is able to move by means of flic-flac jumps.
The nocturnal spider Cebrennus rechenbergi lives in the sand desert Erg Chebbi in southeastern Morocco, not far from the Algerian border.
With its feelers and specialized, elongated bristles, Cebrennus rechenbergi creates a tube-like domicile in the sand, attached by silk threads, which offers protection from the sun and predators. The spider’s most outstanding talent, however, is its ability to move by means of flic-flac jumps. Unlike its relative from Namibia, the golden rolling spider, which is restricted to passively rolling down sand dunes, the flic-flac spider uses its legs to create a rolling motion.
The flic-flac spider Cebrennus rechenbergi at home. © Prof. Dr. Rechenberg
Like a gymnast, it propels itself off the ground, followed by a series of rapid flic-flac movements of its legs. This gives the spider great flexibility – uphill, downhill or on level ground, Cebrennus rechenbergi can move along with ease. It displays this behavior when provoked, e.g., by a congener, a camel spider, a scorpion or a human.
At almost 2 meters per second, the flic-flac jumps allow the spider to move twice as fast as in simple walking mode.
A model for spider robots
Jäger named the flic-flac spider after the scientist Prof. Dr. Ingo Rechenberg from Berlin. The bionics expert discovered Cebrennus rechenbergi during an expedition in Morocco and passed it on to Jäger for taxonomic determination. Rechenberg was so inspired by the flic-flac spider’s ingenious mode of locomotion that he developed a 25cm long model of a spider robot.
The Tabbot, named after “Tabacha” (the word for spider in the Berber language), can move by walking as well as by turning somersaults. “This robot may be employed in agriculture, on the ocean floor or even on Mars,” according to its inventor.
The spider robot Tabbot. Size: 25 cm. © Prof. Dr. Rechenberg
Through morphological examination, Jäger was able to determine that the flic-flac spider really constitutes a new species. Based on minute differences in their sex organs, he was able to distinguish Cebrennus rechenbergi from the closely related species Cebrennus villosus in Tunisia. “However, the unique mode of locomotion also serves as a criterion to distinguish the species,” says Jäger.
Taxonomic and systematic research forms the strongest core competence at the Senckenberg Research Institutes. New methods, such as genetic analyses, can be combined with traditional approaches and aid in the identification of new species. Dr. Peter Jäger explains, “It is our goal to record and preserve the diversity of all life on our planet, i.e., the biodiversity.”
Citation: Jäger, Peter: Cebrennus Simon, 1880 (Araneae: Sparassidae): a revisionary up-date with the description of four new species and an updated identification key for all species. Zootaxa, [S.l.], v. 3790, n. 2, p. 319–356, http://biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.3790.2.4
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Be In Such A Rush To Go Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- Why Psychology Lost Its Soul - Science Replaced It
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Chatelperronian Hominins: Disputed Neanderthal Region Confirmed In France
- No Go Area! What? What is that?
- "Seems you agree with me a few things. How would you make your own scale? (ignoring desire for the..."
- "Well, first there's the timescale. If you build a dyson sphere, you don't have the capability to..."
- "I don't think that much of the Kardashev scale. Especially L2,3 star vs galaxy. How would it be..."
- "When Descartes claimed ... the soul ... is eternal and indivisible... it's obvious he starts with..."
- "Oh, sorry to hear that, I hear this so often. Basically it's like propoganda I think. Propoganda..."
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Exciting News, But Don't Throw Away Condoms Just Yet
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- Antipsychotic medications linked to increased risk of pneumonia in persons with Alzheimer's disease
- Multiple sclerosis misdiagnosis shows need for improved education of clinicians
- Brown adipose tissue can secrete factors that activate fat and carbohydrate metabolism
- Therapeutic Gene Delivery for Inherited Retinal Degeneration in Children
- Molecular atlas of the pancreas