Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) announced at the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation's (NMSF) 12th annual Ocean Awards Gala last week that he is introducing the Great Lakes Cultural Heritage Assessment Act next month.
Levin's proposed bill would direct the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to identify underwater areas in the Great Lakes that possess significant historical and archaeological resources and consider recommendation for designation as national marine sanctuaries.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is releasing the final rule reopening the Sanctuary Nomination and Evaluation Process. NOAA has not been able to accept nominations for new national marine sanctuaries since 1995.
"Senator Levin's initiative recognizes that the Great Lakes serve as a living museum celebrating our nation's history," said Jason Patlis, President and CEO of the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation. "Coupled with the White House announcement yesterday, this bill will usher in a new era of attention on the importance of special places below the surface of our ocean and Great Lakes."
Capitol Hill Ocean Week took place June 10th-12th in Washington, D.C. It featured 12 sessions on topics including climate change, energy, fisheries, human health, and, of course, media engagement. National Marine Sanctuary Foundation was the host organization.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Questions a Surface Pro 3 user has about Windows 10.
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days
- Why Japan’s Deadly Ontake Eruption Could Not Be Predicted
- Multiple Sclerosis Patients Benefit From Exercise
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- Women Scientists Get Vocal About Top Billing On Twitter
- "Sarcasm? :)..."
- "Which would you rather people abuse, marijuana or alcohol?..."
- "SSD is a solid state drive. HDD is a hard disk drive. No one knows what an SDD is so it's better..."
- "Thanks! That's helpful. I should have trusted QCD to find a way to make life difficult. Crossing..."
- "Of course it matters. You're talking about creating a synthetic silicon neuron, but then you don't..."