Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) announced at the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation's (NMSF) 12th annual Ocean Awards Gala last week that he is introducing the Great Lakes Cultural Heritage Assessment Act next month.
Levin's proposed bill would direct the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to identify underwater areas in the Great Lakes that possess significant historical and archaeological resources and consider recommendation for designation as national marine sanctuaries.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is releasing the final rule reopening the Sanctuary Nomination and Evaluation Process. NOAA has not been able to accept nominations for new national marine sanctuaries since 1995.
"Senator Levin's initiative recognizes that the Great Lakes serve as a living museum celebrating our nation's history," said Jason Patlis, President and CEO of the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation. "Coupled with the White House announcement yesterday, this bill will usher in a new era of attention on the importance of special places below the surface of our ocean and Great Lakes."
Capitol Hill Ocean Week took place June 10th-12th in Washington, D.C. It featured 12 sessions on topics including climate change, energy, fisheries, human health, and, of course, media engagement. National Marine Sanctuary Foundation was the host organization.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Swarm Bots Kill Mass Shooter
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- A Billion Years Ago, What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Understanding Rogue Ocean Waves May Be Simple After All
- How A Woman With Amnesia Defies Conventional Wisdom About Memory
- "Hi Anlain, it explains on the page itself. It's a post vote survey - not a poll, so more accurate..."
- "If british elections and referenda are supposed to be secret ballots,how can statistics like those..."
- "If you really wanted to know the truth you could find many researched and peer reviewed articles..."
- "So how many people with HIV, HCV, Parkinson's, MS, Hansen's disease, etc etc etc are being cured..."
- "Hi Robert; Hope you are doing well. Just wanted you to know that I've put up a new video regarding..."
- Summer Camp Means Fun for Kids, But Panic for Some Parents
- Swayed By Lunch Money: A Grotesque Insult to Doctors
- Sensing Too Much Zika Exposure, Golfers Continue Olympic Exodus
- Cannabis Beverages: A New Way to Get High
- Got Zika? Thank an Environmentalist
- Magical Moron Moments: Burn Your Feet with Tony Robbins
- Lung cancer experts seek public comments on revised molecular testing guideline
- Lab-tested diagnosis needed when treating patients with persistent diarrhea
- No need in supercomputers
- 'Squishy' motors and wheels give soft robots a new ride
- High expectations of CERN -- focus on particle physics at Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting