Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) announced at the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation's (NMSF) 12th annual Ocean Awards Gala last week that he is introducing the Great Lakes Cultural Heritage Assessment Act next month.
Levin's proposed bill would direct the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to identify underwater areas in the Great Lakes that possess significant historical and archaeological resources and consider recommendation for designation as national marine sanctuaries.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is releasing the final rule reopening the Sanctuary Nomination and Evaluation Process. NOAA has not been able to accept nominations for new national marine sanctuaries since 1995.
"Senator Levin's initiative recognizes that the Great Lakes serve as a living museum celebrating our nation's history," said Jason Patlis, President and CEO of the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation. "Coupled with the White House announcement yesterday, this bill will usher in a new era of attention on the importance of special places below the surface of our ocean and Great Lakes."
Capitol Hill Ocean Week took place June 10th-12th in Washington, D.C. It featured 12 sessions on topics including climate change, energy, fisheries, human health, and, of course, media engagement. National Marine Sanctuary Foundation was the host organization.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Aging Star's Weight Loss Secret Revealed
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Today's Disposable Society: Pharmaceuticals And Other Contaminants Of Emerging Concern
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Ethical Responsibilities TO Newly Born Terraformed Worlds
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- "It doesn't. It is too daft to even give it a moment's consideration. Also see the long list of..."
- "thank u mr walker hope wat u are saying is true and that nibiru dosent exist..."
- "Yes. Do please, if you can! If you've got worked up, perhaps forgetting about it can help. I'm..."
- "so do I just carry on with my life as normal and forget all about this nibiru then..."
- "Yes, it's hard once you have got yourself worked up and scared about something, to calm down again..."
- Progesterone supplements do not improve outcomes for recurrent miscarriages
- Women with diabetes exposed to air pollution at higher risk for heart disease
- Mosquito-borne virus may lead to severe brain infection
- Air pollution and cardiovascular disease: Increased risk for women with diabetes
- How a genetic locus protects adult blood-forming stem cells