Senator Carl Levin (D-MI) announced at the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation's (NMSF) 12th annual Ocean Awards Gala last week that he is introducing the Great Lakes Cultural Heritage Assessment Act next month.
Levin's proposed bill would direct the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to identify underwater areas in the Great Lakes that possess significant historical and archaeological resources and consider recommendation for designation as national marine sanctuaries.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is releasing the final rule reopening the Sanctuary Nomination and Evaluation Process. NOAA has not been able to accept nominations for new national marine sanctuaries since 1995.
"Senator Levin's initiative recognizes that the Great Lakes serve as a living museum celebrating our nation's history," said Jason Patlis, President and CEO of the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation. "Coupled with the White House announcement yesterday, this bill will usher in a new era of attention on the importance of special places below the surface of our ocean and Great Lakes."
Capitol Hill Ocean Week took place June 10th-12th in Washington, D.C. It featured 12 sessions on topics including climate change, energy, fisheries, human health, and, of course, media engagement. National Marine Sanctuary Foundation was the host organization.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Mexican Team Develops Cosmic Ray Detector For The Large Hadron Collider
- Gaming on Windows 10 Build 10122, The Good, The Bad and The Malfunctioning. (UPDATE 10130 same issues)
- San Andreas, The Movie: 5 Geology Facts Versus Fictions
- The Atlantic Ocean's Cool Phase Will Change The World's Weather
- Amphetamine is Awesome
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- "The answer is simply no. This is because there is some probability, however small, of an elastic..."
- "I’m not a gamer, but I still read this for interest, to see how the technology works out.I have..."
- "No, too much blood for my taste :)T...."
- "From my interactions with international female students, they pretty much all say that science..."
- "Thanks for the comments! My limited experience with the FDA has given me the impression that..."