Want a more accurate estimate of waiting time to get through security at airports?
Obviously monitoring Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is one way to go, but often people shut those off in the airport to conserve energy. Monitoring cell phones and tablets doesn't work if only 30% of people have them on.
As many of us know, queues at airports are arranged in mazes using retractable ribbon barriers. Security personnel adjust the barriers according to the size of the queue, and analysis also 'learns' how the flow of people moves over time. This is then used to give an estimate of how long it takes for the queue to pass through security.
Researchers at SINTEF ICT say they can use infra-red thermal imaging cameras and strategically located optical sensors to provide an estimate of how long the queue will take to pass. You're being spied on anyway, it should make no difference if government now knows your body temperature too. The cameras are used in current security control procedures at Værnes Airport and the researchers have been working to develop a passenger counter using these sensors.
Infra-red thermal imaging cameras and optical sensors provide an estimate of how long the queue will take to pass. Photo: Avinor
For several decades, SINTEF has been working with
video surveillance company Detec AS
to develop advanced video analysis software that can be used to detect undesirable or threatening activity in crowds of people, or to secure special areas automatically.
"The system, installed at Værnes in December 2013, is a soft type of video surveillance, from which personal identities are erased. You can view people's body temperature, but no other details," says Asbjørn Berge of SINTEF.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated." UPDATED
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- The ATLAS Top Production Asymmetry And One Thing I Do Not Like Of It
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- New Rapid Test Kit Detects Dengue Antibodies From Saliva
- "Hi Tommaso,What if you really have no idea of your correlations, but still want to ensure a priori..."
- "Yes, Tommaso including those expressive eyes, they look a bit tired. Nice camera...."
- "Indeed, very nice!T...."
- "Hi,when you find out for sure you made a mistake, you have the obligation to correct it. But inmost..."
- "The background brings to mind the work produced by Emma Biggs and Matthew Collings, which I like..."
- Black beauty meteorite may represent 'bulk background' of Mars' battered crust
- One of the world's rarest large cats, the Saharan cheetah, caught on film!
- Hot spots mapped: Arsenic taints many U.S. wells
- Copy number variations: Sequencing genetic duplications could aid clinical interpretation
- Study analyzes Internet, mobile and video game effects on young users