Want a more accurate estimate of waiting time to get through security at airports?
Obviously monitoring Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is one way to go, but often people shut those off in the airport to conserve energy. Monitoring cell phones and tablets doesn't work if only 30% of people have them on.
As many of us know, queues at airports are arranged in mazes using retractable ribbon barriers. Security personnel adjust the barriers according to the size of the queue, and analysis also 'learns' how the flow of people moves over time. This is then used to give an estimate of how long it takes for the queue to pass through security.
Researchers at SINTEF ICT say they can use infra-red thermal imaging cameras and strategically located optical sensors to provide an estimate of how long the queue will take to pass. You're being spied on anyway, it should make no difference if government now knows your body temperature too. The cameras are used in current security control procedures at Værnes Airport and the researchers have been working to develop a passenger counter using these sensors.
Infra-red thermal imaging cameras and optical sensors provide an estimate of how long the queue will take to pass. Photo: Avinor
For several decades, SINTEF has been working with
video surveillance company Detec AS
to develop advanced video analysis software that can be used to detect undesirable or threatening activity in crowds of people, or to secure special areas automatically.
"The system, installed at Værnes in December 2013, is a soft type of video surveillance, from which personal identities are erased. You can view people's body temperature, but no other details," says Asbjørn Berge of SINTEF.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Parton Distribution Functions For Run 2 At The LHC
- Non-Verbal Smell Test May Be Indicator Of Autism
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Doing Good Deeds Helps Socially Anxious People Relax
- "Okay, you gave yes to many questions (even the disagreement in 5, was not a real disagreement as..."
- "Hi, I currently finished my 3rd year of MSci in the UK, and am planning to start a PhD in Fall..."
- "If you stuck to the facts, that would be one thing, but you immediately in the beginning extrapolate..."
- "Thanks for the reference. It says things I am familiar about, but then there is the relationship..."
- "I don't mean to negate anyone's sense of free will. But having information about what works and..."