Want a more accurate estimate of waiting time to get through security at airports?
Obviously monitoring Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is one way to go, but often people shut those off in the airport to conserve energy. Monitoring cell phones and tablets doesn't work if only 30% of people have them on.
As many of us know, queues at airports are arranged in mazes using retractable ribbon barriers. Security personnel adjust the barriers according to the size of the queue, and analysis also 'learns' how the flow of people moves over time. This is then used to give an estimate of how long it takes for the queue to pass through security.
Researchers at SINTEF ICT say they can use infra-red thermal imaging cameras and strategically located optical sensors to provide an estimate of how long the queue will take to pass. You're being spied on anyway, it should make no difference if government now knows your body temperature too. The cameras are used in current security control procedures at Værnes Airport and the researchers have been working to develop a passenger counter using these sensors.
Infra-red thermal imaging cameras and optical sensors provide an estimate of how long the queue will take to pass. Photo: Avinor
For several decades, SINTEF has been working with
video surveillance company Detec AS
to develop advanced video analysis software that can be used to detect undesirable or threatening activity in crowds of people, or to secure special areas automatically.
"The system, installed at Værnes in December 2013, is a soft type of video surveillance, from which personal identities are erased. You can view people's body temperature, but no other details," says Asbjørn Berge of SINTEF.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- Tunable Liquid Metal Antenna Controlled By Voltage
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- "Thanks, glad to have helped. And wonderful to hear that your symptoms are so much improved :)...."
- "Myth#3A:Australia borders both in the Western Pacific AND the Indian Ocean. We call a typhoon a..."
- "Okay for what she says about BDD, see her paper here: Association of spirochetal infection..."
- "Bovine Digital Dermatitis was connected to morgellons disease because of wart-like and hair-like..."
- "FINALLY, a supportive article that reviews the facts and is not afraid to put it out in a positive..."
- Vaccines developed for H5N1, H7N9 avian influenza strains
- European Medicines Agency recommends full approval of ibrutinib to treat Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia
- In Northern Ireland, sectarianism has become sextarianism
- RegeneRx Phase II Dry Eye Trial results
- How schizophrenia risk gene DISC1 affects the brain