RXi Pharmaceuticals Corporation, an RNA-targeted technologies company, today announced positive results from their second placebo-controlled Phase 1 study with RXI‑109, an sd-rxRNA compound that targets Connective Tissue Growth Factor (CTGF), and is being developed for the treatment of abnormal dermal scars such as hypertrophic scars and keloids in conjunction with scar revision surgery.
In this study, subjects received small skin incisions in their abdomen and were treated with 3 intradermal doses of RXI‑109 over a 2-week period. This dose escalating study consisted of 3 cohorts of 3 healthy volunteers each. Subjects received RXI‑109 on one side of the abdomen, and placebo on the other side.
Subjects were monitored for safety and local and systemic side effects over a total study period of 84 days.
Multiple dermal injections were well tolerated at all doses and treatment with RXI‑109 resulted in dose-dependent silencing of CTGF mRNA in the treated areas.
Dr. Geert Cauwenbergh, President and CEO of RXi Pharmaceuticals said that, "We are very pleased with the outcome of this second Phase 1 study. These results show that multiple intradermal injections of RXI‑109 are well tolerated with minimal and mild side effects. He added that, "The work done in the last year has confirmed that our proprietary self-delivering RNAi technology (sd-rxRNA) reduces CTGF mRNA in humans in line with its mechanism of action. Indeed, results from this second study demonstrate that mRNA for CTGF in the incisions is reduced in a dose-dependent manner by RXI‑109 as compared to placebo. Our first Phase 1 study had already shown that a single dose of the drug lowered the actual protein content for CTGF also in a dose-dependent manner. With this exciting outcome, we are ready to embark on Phase 2 development in patients with hypertrophic scars and keloids."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Hydrolyzed Fish Fertilizer - Nitrogen Source, Still Meets Organic Definition
- Drinking Raw Milk Dramatically Increases Risk For Foodborne Illness, Analysis Finds
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Skynet is not why Musk and Gates fear AI - Not everyone in social media is human.
- "Who are we kidding? The mass ed model is not set up for 2E. The growing homeschool movement with..."
- "Terrence- I just don't get curling. The guys with the brooms look like lunatics. And you..."
- "Mr Bloom Yes you have made your Point. Have you ever watched curling? As an active sport, point..."
- "Terence- Thanks for your comments. Although I am pretty good at spotting quacks, I cannot say the..."
- "Greetings Mr Bloom Thank you for your work. I currently reside in Boise Idaho. Looking at the Pewforum..."