RXi Pharmaceuticals Corporation, an RNA-targeted technologies company, today announced positive results from their second placebo-controlled Phase 1 study with RXI‑109, an sd-rxRNA compound that targets Connective Tissue Growth Factor (CTGF), and is being developed for the treatment of abnormal dermal scars such as hypertrophic scars and keloids in conjunction with scar revision surgery.
In this study, subjects received small skin incisions in their abdomen and were treated with 3 intradermal doses of RXI‑109 over a 2-week period. This dose escalating study consisted of 3 cohorts of 3 healthy volunteers each. Subjects received RXI‑109 on one side of the abdomen, and placebo on the other side.
Subjects were monitored for safety and local and systemic side effects over a total study period of 84 days.
Multiple dermal injections were well tolerated at all doses and treatment with RXI‑109 resulted in dose-dependent silencing of CTGF mRNA in the treated areas.
Dr. Geert Cauwenbergh, President and CEO of RXi Pharmaceuticals said that, "We are very pleased with the outcome of this second Phase 1 study. These results show that multiple intradermal injections of RXI‑109 are well tolerated with minimal and mild side effects. He added that, "The work done in the last year has confirmed that our proprietary self-delivering RNAi technology (sd-rxRNA) reduces CTGF mRNA in humans in line with its mechanism of action. Indeed, results from this second study demonstrate that mRNA for CTGF in the incisions is reduced in a dose-dependent manner by RXI‑109 as compared to placebo. Our first Phase 1 study had already shown that a single dose of the drug lowered the actual protein content for CTGF also in a dose-dependent manner. With this exciting outcome, we are ready to embark on Phase 2 development in patients with hypertrophic scars and keloids."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- "I must disagree with the physics of what this author has written. I may have some basis for..."
- "Those are the same arguments for progressives. Scientists are playing God and thwarting the will..."
- "Okay, this is easy to check, just go here: Current Impact Risks. Everything is shown..."
- "Jeez, don't you guys spell check or proofread your articles?..."
- "Faunus was the god of shepherds and planet nine is the shepherd of the trans-NeptunIan objects..."
- Sustained aerobic exercise increases adult neurogenesis in the brain
- Electron's 1-D metallic surface state observed
- Expression of a 'Ouija Board' protein that can summon 'monster' genes
- Graphene decharging and molecular shielding
- The mechanism of maintaining cell polarity visualized by super-resolution microscope