RXi Pharmaceuticals Corporation, an RNA-targeted technologies company, today announced positive results from their second placebo-controlled Phase 1 study with RXI‑109, an sd-rxRNA compound that targets Connective Tissue Growth Factor (CTGF), and is being developed for the treatment of abnormal dermal scars such as hypertrophic scars and keloids in conjunction with scar revision surgery.
In this study, subjects received small skin incisions in their abdomen and were treated with 3 intradermal doses of RXI‑109 over a 2-week period. This dose escalating study consisted of 3 cohorts of 3 healthy volunteers each. Subjects received RXI‑109 on one side of the abdomen, and placebo on the other side.
Subjects were monitored for safety and local and systemic side effects over a total study period of 84 days.
Multiple dermal injections were well tolerated at all doses and treatment with RXI‑109 resulted in dose-dependent silencing of CTGF mRNA in the treated areas.
Dr. Geert Cauwenbergh, President and CEO of RXi Pharmaceuticals said that, "We are very pleased with the outcome of this second Phase 1 study. These results show that multiple intradermal injections of RXI‑109 are well tolerated with minimal and mild side effects. He added that, "The work done in the last year has confirmed that our proprietary self-delivering RNAi technology (sd-rxRNA) reduces CTGF mRNA in humans in line with its mechanism of action. Indeed, results from this second study demonstrate that mRNA for CTGF in the incisions is reduced in a dose-dependent manner by RXI‑109 as compared to placebo. Our first Phase 1 study had already shown that a single dose of the drug lowered the actual protein content for CTGF also in a dose-dependent manner. With this exciting outcome, we are ready to embark on Phase 2 development in patients with hypertrophic scars and keloids."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- For New President - Is Moon More Interesting Next Step For Astronauts Than Boulder Plucked From Asteroid?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Was Euclid A Black Woman? Sorting Through The False History And Bad Philosophy Of Mathematics
- "Okay if it is the two suns videos, those are due to offset lens reflections, most of them. Or lens..."
- "I believe in nibiru i would go as far as to say its there the videos the pictures all prove it..."
- "What is it you believe? Do you think we have two suns? Do you think there is a planet hiding behind..."
- "Haha get ready people your all about to be in for a shock then lets see who is a liar anybody want..."
- "Quite simply, the structure does not exist. What is observed is a fluctuation.BestT...."
- Shining a Light on AMA's Dim View of LED Street Lamps
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: Health meets Hollywood Q&A
- Calcium and CVD Don't Seem Connected
- How Many Genes Does It Take to Make a Person?
- To Avoid Adult Dysfunction Start 'IN UTERO'
- ACSH Medical Director Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians, We're In The Economist, And More