The top prize in the annual Purdue Student Soybean Product Innovation Contest went to Carmen Valverde-Paniagua of Chihuahua, Mexico, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, Nicole Raley Devlin of Rockville, Md., a doctoral student in chemical engineering, and Yanssen Tandy of Jarkarta, Indonesia, a senior student in chemical engineering (team name S3D Innovations) for their invention of Filasoy, a next generation 3D printing material.
Filasoy replaces petroleum-based plastic with a low-energy, low-temperature, renewable and recyclable filament. It retains similar properties found in a bioplastic with an added "green" twist: It allows printing without waste. The team will receive a $20,000 prize.
The runner-up team, Soots, produced a 100 percent organic leather boot conditioner and polish by the same name. The product comes in two forms: One, made from soybean oil and beeswax, is a thick, more solid polish for genuine leather such as boots and reins and also serves as a waterproofing agent.
From left, ISA President David Lowe presents a check to Team Filasoy members Nicole Raley, Yanssen Tandy and Carmen Valverde-Paniagua. Credit: Indiana Soybean Alliance
The product is safe for the environment and not harmful to animals. The second product is a much lighter conditioner, in the form of a spray, that can be used on faux leather items. It is used more for cleaning and improving appearance than waterproofing.
The team will receive a $10,000 prize. Members are Sean Anderson of Churubusco, Ind., a junior in forestry; his brother, Evan, a sophomore in agricultural engineering; and Sara Richert of Oak Park, Ill., a sophomore in agricultural engineering.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Zika Infects The Placenta
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To Solar System Exploration, Open Ended, Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Music For The Eyes
- Making Or Breaking Habits: The Endocannabinoids Can Do It
- Genomic Study Tracks African-American Dispersal In The Great Migration
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- "Your random 'America sucks' posturing aside, what does your comment have to do with the article..."
- " America, in fact the planet, needs a president who will make America green again. The bull****..."
- "Yes, agreed, nice way of putting it. Though a rather interesting garage that's full of treasures..."
- "Oh, okay, sorry about that. Likewise for yourself. ..."
- "Four paragraphs in I hit delete. I'm just going to wish you the best in all things...."