The top prize in the annual Purdue Student Soybean Product Innovation Contest went to Carmen Valverde-Paniagua of Chihuahua, Mexico, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, Nicole Raley Devlin of Rockville, Md., a doctoral student in chemical engineering, and Yanssen Tandy of Jarkarta, Indonesia, a senior student in chemical engineering (team name S3D Innovations) for their invention of Filasoy, a next generation 3D printing material.
Filasoy replaces petroleum-based plastic with a low-energy, low-temperature, renewable and recyclable filament. It retains similar properties found in a bioplastic with an added "green" twist: It allows printing without waste. The team will receive a $20,000 prize.
The runner-up team, Soots, produced a 100 percent organic leather boot conditioner and polish by the same name. The product comes in two forms: One, made from soybean oil and beeswax, is a thick, more solid polish for genuine leather such as boots and reins and also serves as a waterproofing agent.
From left, ISA President David Lowe presents a check to Team Filasoy members Nicole Raley, Yanssen Tandy and Carmen Valverde-Paniagua. Credit: Indiana Soybean Alliance
The product is safe for the environment and not harmful to animals. The second product is a much lighter conditioner, in the form of a spray, that can be used on faux leather items. It is used more for cleaning and improving appearance than waterproofing.
The team will receive a $10,000 prize. Members are Sean Anderson of Churubusco, Ind., a junior in forestry; his brother, Evan, a sophomore in agricultural engineering; and Sara Richert of Oak Park, Ill., a sophomore in agricultural engineering.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- EWG's Little Site Of Horrors
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- Sepsis Is Largely Unknown But It Puts One Million People In The Hospital Each Year
- Medial Temporal Lobe And How New Memories Are Formed
- "Well put!..."
- "I really enjoyed this article! I haven't read the references that you posted, but I am curious..."
- "Incrementalism is a political strategy that is used across the board for better or for worse by..."
- "Diversity is worshipped as some sort of talisman, but trying to create diversity is attacking the..."
- "I noticed that I (and many others) have trouble digestion the complex sugars in many vegetables..."