The top prize in the annual Purdue Student Soybean Product Innovation Contest went to Carmen Valverde-Paniagua of Chihuahua, Mexico, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, Nicole Raley Devlin of Rockville, Md., a doctoral student in chemical engineering, and Yanssen Tandy of Jarkarta, Indonesia, a senior student in chemical engineering (team name S3D Innovations) for their invention of Filasoy, a next generation 3D printing material.
Filasoy replaces petroleum-based plastic with a low-energy, low-temperature, renewable and recyclable filament. It retains similar properties found in a bioplastic with an added "green" twist: It allows printing without waste. The team will receive a $20,000 prize.
The runner-up team, Soots, produced a 100 percent organic leather boot conditioner and polish by the same name. The product comes in two forms: One, made from soybean oil and beeswax, is a thick, more solid polish for genuine leather such as boots and reins and also serves as a waterproofing agent.
From left, ISA President David Lowe presents a check to Team Filasoy members Nicole Raley, Yanssen Tandy and Carmen Valverde-Paniagua. Credit: Indiana Soybean Alliance
The product is safe for the environment and not harmful to animals. The second product is a much lighter conditioner, in the form of a spray, that can be used on faux leather items. It is used more for cleaning and improving appearance than waterproofing.
The team will receive a $10,000 prize. Members are Sean Anderson of Churubusco, Ind., a junior in forestry; his brother, Evan, a sophomore in agricultural engineering; and Sara Richert of Oak Park, Ill., a sophomore in agricultural engineering.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- Include Men In Osteoporosis Screening Guidelines
- Environmentalism Win: DuPont Pioneer Creates Unemployed People In Kaua'i
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- Risk Management Turned Upside Down
- EU Grants Submitted And Won: Some Statistics
- "Yes, obviously BDD is not Morgellons, apart from anything else it is a disease of feet, mainly..."
- "Thankyou also. Yes I feel that I just reviewed the facts, from an uninvolved scientific background..."
- "I have been suffering for four years. It has been an agonizing, moment by moment of horrors. I..."
- "Thanks, glad to have helped. And wonderful to hear that your symptoms are so much improved :)...."
- "Myth#3A:Australia borders both in the Western Pacific AND the Indian Ocean. We call a typhoon a..."
- Vaccines developed for H5N1, H7N9 avian influenza strains
- European Medicines Agency recommends full approval of ibrutinib to treat Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia
- In Northern Ireland, sectarianism has become sextarianism
- RegeneRx Phase II Dry Eye Trial results
- How schizophrenia risk gene DISC1 affects the brain