Obesity often is associated with increased health related complications and death but some studies have found an 'obesity paradox' - people who are obese but otherwise healthy. Concern has been that may cause some to question striving for a normal weight.
Christian Dehlendorff, M.S., Ph.D., of the Danish Cancer Society Research Center, Copenhagen, Denmark, and colleagues sought to determine whether the obesity paradox in stroke was real or an artificial finding because of selection bias in studies. To overcome selection bias, authors only studied deaths caused by the index stroke using a Danish register of stroke and a registry of deaths.
They found no evidence of this obesity paradox, where overweight or obese patients had lower mortality rates than underweight or normal weight patients in patients with stroke.
The study included 71,617 Danes for whom information was available on factors that included body mass index (BMI), age, stroke type and stroke severity. Of the 71,617 patients, 7,878 (11 percent) died within the first month and, of these, stroke was reported as the cause of death of 5,512 patients (70 percent). Of the patients for whom BMI information was available, 9.7 percent were underweight, 39 percent were normal weight, 34.5 percent were overweight and 16.8 percent were obese. BMI was inversely related to average age of stroke onset (high BMI associated with younger age of onset).
“This study was unable to confirm the existence of an obesity paradox in stroke. … Obesity was not associated with a lower risk for death after a stroke. … The risk of obese patients with stroke for death did not differ from that of normal-weight patients with stroke nor was there evidence of a survival advantage associated with being overweight,” the authors write.
Citation: JAMA Neurol. Published online June 2, 2014. doi:10.1001/.jamaneurol.2014.1017.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- TSCA Reform Casualties Likely Start with Asbestos
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- Are There Two Higgses ? No, And I Won Another Bet!
- "So what your saying is then that hes not right and nibiru is not real yet space is hugh very hugh..."
- "No he doesn't need to know anything to say this. There's a very long list of people who have predicted..."
- "That prediction mr walker is by the rabbi who if i remember rightly stated at the beginning of..."
- "I went through Guido's book this summer and I found that really entertaining. The style is not..."
- "No, it's not real, it's just a hoax or myth. I haven't seen that prediction but that's how they..."
- Suppressing Cough at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches
- Vagina: Inanimate Objects in Orifices
- Synthetic Cannabis: Why Is Spice So Dangerous?
- US News Tackles The War On Fun, And Other Ways Media Linked To Us Last Week
- Social Orangutans Are More Intelligent than Solitary Orangutans
- Chemical weapons are still being used in Iraq but the Obama administration doesn't talk about it
- Why psychology lost its soul - science replaced it
- Jim Crow internet is pushing back against Black Lives Matter
- Ben & Jerry's: Global warming is changing the flavor of ice cream
- Laterality: Finding out about the human mind through stone