Science can make you a better dancer - or at least improve your chances of not looking stupid to the opposite sex, say a group of evolutionary psychologists who used 3D motion-capture technology to create uniform avatar figures and identified the key movement areas of the male dancer’s body that influence female perceptions of whether their dance skills are “good” or “bad”.
Apparently it all comes down to neck, trunk, left shoulder and wrist, the variability of movement size of the neck, trunk and left wrist, and the speed of movement of the right knee.
Sounds simple, right? Read on.
The research was led by Dr. Nick Neave and grad student Kristofor McCarty at Northumbria University and they say it has identified potential biomechanical differences between “good” and “bad” male dancers. Neave believes that such dance movements may form honest signals of a man’s reproductive quality, in terms of health, vigor or strength (see 2009's 'Men’s physical strength is associated with women’s perceptions of their dancing ability' by Hugill, N., Fink, B., Neave, N.,&Seydel, H. in Personality and Individual Differences, 47: 527-530) and will carry out further research to fully grasp the implications.
Good dancing. Hey, it's the Running Man. Old School! Credit: Northumbria University
They filmed 19 male volunteers aged 18-35 with a 3-D camera system as they danced to a basic rhythm. Their real-life movements were mapped onto feature-less, white, gender-neutral humanoid characters, or avatars, so that 35 heterosexual women could rate their dance moves without being prejudiced by each male’s individual level of physical attractiveness.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- "I took a look at the paper. Henry and LFB are not exaggerating. There are many serious problems..."
- "If one is a fan of the FireFly franchise they could take this movie as a sort of rip off of the..."
- "Ha! Like I said, Democrats are a lot better about PR than Republican groups are. Corporations have..."
- "From your response, you seem totally incapable of addressing anything I wrote.Experience has taught..."
- "It is a fact that throughout history much evil has been done for the sake of the believers' godsAnd..."
- Suicide risk falls substantially after talk therapy
- The Lancet: Universal health coverage for US militar veterans within reach, but many still lack coverage
- Modified DNA backbone enables success of existing and novel oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate
Books By Writers Here