Science can make you a better dancer - or at least improve your chances of not looking stupid to the opposite sex, say a group of evolutionary psychologists who used 3D motion-capture technology to create uniform avatar figures and identified the key movement areas of the male dancer’s body that influence female perceptions of whether their dance skills are “good” or “bad”.
Apparently it all comes down to neck, trunk, left shoulder and wrist, the variability of movement size of the neck, trunk and left wrist, and the speed of movement of the right knee.
Sounds simple, right? Read on.
The research was led by Dr. Nick Neave and grad student Kristofor McCarty at Northumbria University and they say it has identified potential biomechanical differences between “good” and “bad” male dancers. Neave believes that such dance movements may form honest signals of a man’s reproductive quality, in terms of health, vigor or strength (see 2009's 'Men’s physical strength is associated with women’s perceptions of their dancing ability' by Hugill, N., Fink, B., Neave, N.,&Seydel, H. in Personality and Individual Differences, 47: 527-530) and will carry out further research to fully grasp the implications.
Good dancing. Hey, it's the Running Man. Old School! Credit: Northumbria University
They filmed 19 male volunteers aged 18-35 with a 3-D camera system as they danced to a basic rhythm. Their real-life movements were mapped onto feature-less, white, gender-neutral humanoid characters, or avatars, so that 35 heterosexual women could rate their dance moves without being prejudiced by each male’s individual level of physical attractiveness.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- Study Shows Men Attracted to Transgender Women are NOT Gay. DUH!
- Europe's Folic Acid Policy Linked To Spina Bifida, Other Neural Tube Defects
- "why would people say this thing is real if its not obvisualy there going to make there selfs look..."
- "The videos they post, all the ones I've seen, are: Lens flares Offset lens or lens cover reflections..."
- "I no u keep saying this is a hoax and nibiru is not real but its a big hoax then because there..."
- "I no u keep saying this is a hoax and this nibiru is not real but its a big hoax then because there..."
- ":-) , predictability of human behavior, especially when it pertains to lucrative group think or..."
- Stem cell study paves the way for patient therapies
- Rice basket study rethinks roots of human culture
- Recommended activity levels not achieved by obese children and those with liver disease
- Patient deaths do not increase during doctor strikes
- The harmful use of topical steroids in India is out of control, says expert