Everyone is thorough about checklists of items they want to take on long trips - fewer people worry about things they are supposed to leave behind. But forty years ago, as the Apollo 11 astronauts were completing their checklist to leave the Moon they discovered that they had forgotten something important that wasn't supposed to return to Earth.
The astronauts had already left America's flag, the Stars and Stripes, and a plaque declaring "We Came in Peace for All Mankind" but as Buzz Aldrin climbed back into the Eagle lunar module, Neil Armstrong reminded him about a a tiny disc that contained encrypted messages. Aldrin quickly remembered that he had it in his sleep pocket and threw it onto the Moon's Sea of Tranquility.
The tiny silicon disc had goodwill messages in native languages from world leaders. As U.S. State Department officials scrambled to solicit messages of goodwill from many nations, engineers used the latest technology in 1969 to enshrine the messages on material suitable for the harsh lunar environment. NASA officials also wanted to make it clear that this was an American accomplishment while balancing "good taste" from a world perspective, without implying U.S. sovereignty on the Moon.
Apollo 11 Silicon Disc with goodwill messages surrounding it. Credit: SILICON DISC, LLC
One such message from Ivory Coast stated: "I also hope that he would tell the Moon how beautiful it is when it illuminates the nights of the Ivory Coast. I especially wish that he would turn towards our planet Earth and cry out how insignificant the problems which torture men are, when viewed from up there."
Another message from Eric Williams of Trinidad and Tobago warned: "It is our earnest hope for mankind, that while we gain the Moon, we shall not lose the world."
That tiny disc is now the star of its own book called We Came in Peace for all Mankind: The Untold Story of the Apollo 11 Silicon Discby Tahir Rahman. The book looks at the messages from historical leaders such as Pope Paul VI, Indira Gandhi, and the Shah of Iran.
In a recent interview, Buzz Aldrin said, "Neil Armstrong and I almost forgot to leave the silicon disc on the Moon, but no one should forget the messages beautifully portrayed in Rahman's book 'We Came in Peace for All Mankind.' The disc will last on the lunar surface for 1000 years."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- Free Market Validation: Men With Hair Transplants Are Seen As Younger, More Attractive
- Sudden Death In Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - The Exercise Didn't Do It
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- Control Cancer By Making The Tumor Cell Environment Hostile
- "You have a point. Let me find out how this got misconstrued...."
- "So what's your excuse? Try googling the actual study abstract, it's called 'Bacterial Populations..."
- "It seems to me to be the ultimate in irony to commit suicide now, because of the belief that in..."
- "The image problem with the vaping community is that proponents smack of zealotry. This is a great..."
- "Sigh. Not only is it common sense to wash out your drinking cup/a vaping device tip, my own dental..."
- How Herpes Drugs Work
- The Infrared Sauna: Hollywood's Hot, Pricey 'Magic' Box
- E-Cigarette Flavors, Biotech Courts And More Media Links
- <a href="/news/2016/08/29/pediatricians-crack-down-anti-vaxx-parents-policy-report-says-9930">Pediatricians To Crack Down On Anti-Vaxx Parents, Policy Report Says <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/29/high-drug-costs-blame-playa-or-play-9873">High Drug Costs - Blame The Playa Or The Play? <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/node/9873">High Drug Costs - Blame The Playa Or The Play? <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- Study finds shark fins & meat contain high levels of neurotoxins linked to Alzheimer's disease
- Purest yet liver-like cells generated from induced pluripotent stem cells
- Vitamin C may boost effectiveness of acute myeloid leukemia treatment
- How gay men navigate the corporate world
- Molecular switch may sensitize triple-negative breast cancers to immunotherapy