Tropical Storm Maria is moving away from Japan and strong wind shear is pushing its rainfall east of the storm's center, with no areas of heavy rain remaining in the tropical cyclone. The low-level center of the storm is now exposed and a wind shear greater than 30 knots (34.5 mph) continues to further weaken the storm.
Wind shear is a critical factor in hurricane formation and destruction, primarily in the vertical direction from the surface to the top of the troposphere, the region of the atmosphere that our active weather is confined to, about 40,000 feet altitude. Tropical cyclones are heat engines powered by the release of latent heat when water vapor condenses into liquid water and wind shear hurts tropical cyclones by removing the heat and moisture they need from the area near their center. See more at Weather Underground.
At 4:45 a.m. EDT, NASA's Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) satellite saw that rain associated with Tropical Storm Maria was limited to the east of the storm's center. Rainfall was also light to moderate, falling at a rate between .78 to 1.57 inches/20 to 40 mm per hour. By 11 a.m. EDT, Maria's maximum sustained winds were down to 35 knots (~40 mph) and weakening. It was located near 31.9 North and 155.6 East, about 780 nautical miles east of Tokyo, Japan. It was moving to the east and into the open waters of the northern Pacific at a speed of 14 knots (16 mph).
By tomorrow, the combination of the strong wind shear with cooler sea surface temperatures are expected to make Maria dissipate.
On Oct. 18 at 0845 UTC (4:45 a.m. EDT), NASA's TRMM satellite saw that rain associated with Tropical Storm Maria was limited to east of the storm's center, and was light to moderate (pictured in green and blue) and falling at a rate between .78 to 1.57 inches/20 to 40 mm per hour. Credit: SSAI/NASA, Hal Pierce
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Cool, Dim Dwarf Star Is Magnetic Powerhouse
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Discovery Could Open Door To Frozen Preservation Of Tissues, Whole Organs
- New Gene Map Reveals Cancer's Achilles Heel
- Thanksgiving Science 2015
- Secrets Of Dark Proteome
- "Yes, most of them haven't even heard about it. I have one friend who had heard of Nibiru who doesn't..."
- "mr walker I take it with all your comments on here that your not scared about this at all u must..."
- "Thanks for the reply I'm getting help as I've had a bad anxiety in the past and it's beginning..."
- "Yes totally. What would reassure you enough so you can stop being scared about it? Any thoughts..."
- "Hi I'm really scared about all this and I come to read you comments and they reassure me for a..."
- A common mechanism for human and bird sound production
- Synapse discovery could lead to new treatments for Alzheimer's disease
- Study shows white matter damage caused by 'skunk-like' cannabis
- Cognitive behavior therapy can help overcome fear of the dentist
- Don't forget plankton in climate change models, says study