A study published in Cancer Prevention Research identifies components of black raspberries with chemopreventive potential. Researchers at the Ohio State Comprehensive Cancer Center found that anthocyanins, a class of flavonoids in black raspberries, inhibited growth and stimulated apoptosis in the esophagus of rats treated with an esophageal carcinogen.
Gary D. Stoner, Ph.D., a professor in the department of internal medicine at Ohio State University, and his team of researchers fed rats an anthocyanin-rich extract of black raspberries and found that the extract was nearly as effective in preventing esophageal cancer in rats as whole black raspberries containing the same concentration of anthocyanins. This study demonstrates the importance of anthocyanins as preventive agents in black raspberries and validated similar in vitro findings. It is among the first to look at the correlation between anthocyanins and cancer prevention in vivo.
"Our data provide strong evidence that anthocyanins are important for cancer prevention," said Stoner.
Stoner and his colleagues have conducted clinical trials using whole berry powder, which has yielded some promising results, but required patients to take up to 60 grams of powder a day. "Now that we know the anthocyanins in berries are almost as active as whole berries themselves, we hope to be able to prevent cancer in humans using a standardized mixture of anthocyanins," said Stoner.
"The goal is to potentially replace whole berry powder with its active components and then figure out better ways to deliver these components to tissues, to increase their uptake and effectiveness. Ultimately, we hope to test the anthocyanins for effectiveness in multiple organ sites in humans," said Stoner.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Planet With Rings Found Outside Solar System - And They Are Bigger Than Saturn
- Football Physics: The Science Of Deflategate
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- The Plot Of The Week: CMS Search For Majorana Neutrinos
- Happy 150th Birthday To Maxwell's Theory Of Electromagnetism
- Think Mosquitoes Bite You More Than Other People? Here's Why You May Be Right
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- "You liken people being unwilling to talk about mental illness to being raped? People don't take..."
- " ---Nearly Half Of Workers Won't Tell Their Boss About A Mental Health Problem And more than half..."
- "Hi Tommaso, where do you see the biggest advantage of this new review journal wrt. the various..."
- "Catholics started out in stadiums, it did not go well. It was worse for the lions though..."
- "“Well, I’m dashed! We were right that time — goody goody!”Detail from this Giles..."