Internet sites love to pounce on the latest ridiculous story, the more outrageous the better. The silliest thing this week propagated by press release aggregators and people who don't check facts was that there was a 1 in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid will collide with Earth after the German newspaper Potsdamer Neuerster Nachrichten reported on Tuesday that student Nico Marquardt was right and NASA was wrong.
NASA, used to being the target of fringe conspiracy theorists who will believe anything they want to believe, issued the following statement in response:
The Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., has not changed its current estimates for the very low probability (1 in 45,000) of an Earth impact by the asteroid Apophis in 2036.
Contrary to recent press reports, NASA offices involved in near-Earth object research were not contacted and have had no correspondence with a young German student, who claims the Apophis impact probability is far higher than the current estimate.
This student's conclusion reportedly is based on the possibility of a collision with an artificial satellite during the asteroid's close approach in April 2029. However, the asteroid will not pass near the main belt of geosynchronous satellites in 2029, and the chance of a collision with a satellite is exceedingly remote.
Therefore, consideration of this satellite collision scenario does not affect the current impact probability estimate for Apophis, which remains at 1 in 45,000.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- Swarm Bots Kill Mass Shooter
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- Unlocking The Secrets Of Nerve Regeneration
- "That's not what I asked. Instead you pulled the classic do your own research trick which means..."
- "New video to add to this article, astronaut Tim Peake spinning at very high speed in the ISS, not..."
- "A scientific approach is the only way one can really be assured that a treatment has merits. The..."
- "Bollocks! You will find the possible side effects listed are a exhaustive precautionary list of..."
- "Sorry, but even using the term allopath shows your bias. That is a term invented by the creator..."
- Vice President Joe Biden Threatens the Scientific Community
- Why Some Sounds Make Us Cringe
- Over 100 Nobel Laureates Condemn Greenpeace for Opposing Golden Rice
- New Team Member: Dr. Alex Berezow
- New Investigation Will Examine Breast Cancer Recurrence Post Weight Loss
- DIY Biohacking: Unethical, Fringe and Probably Necessary to Advance Science
- Genetically inherited high cholesterol increases long-term risks of CHD & strok
- Men may face high lifetime risk of sudden cardiac death
- Video may help heart failure patients choose level of end-of-life care
- Plate tectonics without jerking
- Little to no association between butter consumption and chronic disease or total mortality