Internet sites love to pounce on the latest ridiculous story, the more outrageous the better. The silliest thing this week propagated by press release aggregators and people who don't check facts was that there was a 1 in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid will collide with Earth after the German newspaper Potsdamer Neuerster Nachrichten reported on Tuesday that student Nico Marquardt was right and NASA was wrong.
NASA, used to being the target of fringe conspiracy theorists who will believe anything they want to believe, issued the following statement in response:
The Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., has not changed its current estimates for the very low probability (1 in 45,000) of an Earth impact by the asteroid Apophis in 2036.
Contrary to recent press reports, NASA offices involved in near-Earth object research were not contacted and have had no correspondence with a young German student, who claims the Apophis impact probability is far higher than the current estimate.
This student's conclusion reportedly is based on the possibility of a collision with an artificial satellite during the asteroid's close approach in April 2029. However, the asteroid will not pass near the main belt of geosynchronous satellites in 2029, and the chance of a collision with a satellite is exceedingly remote.
Therefore, consideration of this satellite collision scenario does not affect the current impact probability estimate for Apophis, which remains at 1 in 45,000.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated."
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- Extended Telomeres Slow Cell Aging
- Optically Getting To The Same Side: How To Generating Möbius Strips Of Light
- "Democracy is NOT about people getting government to do stuff, regardless of what. It is about using..."
- "The suggestion is that absorbed or sublimed luminous stellar metallicity 'snows out' into icy chondrules..."
- "You make a fine point and I agree, the same way I agree about tax loopholes in our spaghetti-code..."
- "But how much xanthohumol is required to make a difference? Not mentioned in the article. And no..."
- "My biggest gripe with the FDA is their willingness to re-patent drugs already in use at a slightly..."
- How life's molecules connect and a bonus: how to make your own DNA nanoswitches
- The ethical impact of hospital advertising
- Tweeting about sexism may improve wellbeing of women in college
- Hospitals may benefit from Six Sigma and Lean Management - whether they want it or not
- Why is it again that zebras have stripes?