What a spectacular coincidence! A meteor hitting Earth on the day the asteroid 2012 DA14 is passing close by!
When I was contemplating what kind of natural disasters I should throw in the scenarios for my Planet Earth: Extreme Beauty - Extreme Danger I was considering a big asteroid NOT missing the target for once. I chose a major blast from the Sun instead as that is something that happens more frequently anyhow, at least at certain points in time of the Sun spot cycle.
The meteor as seen by one of the car cameras that seems so popular in Russia. From the video below.
Today, we've all hear about the meteorite hitting Russia, exploding into several smaller but still somewhat damaging pieces. It is an amazing view and luckily nobody seems to have been killed but hundreds were injured. Both Phil Plait at Bad Astronomer and Universe Today showcase several videos that of course were recorded (I never stop being amazed by how quickly video recordings surface in media, just amazing). Reportedly, some mobile phones ceased to work, ref the above mentioned scenarios. What most likely was the shock-wave created by the meteor raging through our atmosphere, made a huge blast blowing objects into pieces (windows, garage doors and other parts of buildings).
Here you go, check it out for yourself:
Check out the blast in the beginning of this video:
Wonderful light in this one (starts at around 15s):
The BBC has a good article about the meteor incident here.
A quick reminder of the differences between asteroid, meteor and meteorite:
Asteroids: Small bodies orbiting the Sun along with the planets
Meteors: An asteroid entering Earth's atmosphere
Meteorites: Fragments of meteors that hits the surface of the planet.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- Vladimir Putin Thinks The World Of Sepp Blatter
- "Yes, that is exactly my point. It is so obvious that it threw you off ;)..."
- "I can see that you are the type that piles on the facts (which you often misinterpret) mixed with..."
- "Unfortunately, people who know nothing about bees - amateur beekeepers who let them die due to..."
- "Aside from the fact that you have proven that logic based on incorrect premisses [sic] will lead..."
- "Articles like this are designed to create what type of response? I believe to create sympathy for..."
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control
- Paralyzed men move legs thanks to non-invasive spinal cord stimulation
- California 'rain debt' equal to average full year of precipitation
- Cancer patients lose faith in healthcare system if referred late by GP