Geodesy is the science of determining the geometry, gravity field, and rotation of the Earth and their evolution in time. Traditionally, geodesy has been serving other sciences and has had many societal applications, including mapping. With the advent of satellite, geodesy itself developed into a science, making unique contributions to the study of the Earth system, its inherit dynamics, and its response to climate change, as well as a tool underpinning a wide variety of other remote sensing techniques. Facilitated by Global Navigation Satellite Systems such as GPS, a wide and growing set of applications associated with positioning and navigation is opening up. Geodesy provides the foundation on which all Earth observation systems are built. In this function, geodesy is essential for Earth observation just like the foundation and frame of a house are necessary to keep it stable over time. But modern geodesy does more: with its three pillars of geokinematics, Earth gravity field, and Earth rotation, it also provides comprehensive observations of changes in the Earths shape, gravity field and rotation.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is Cold Fusion For Real ?!
- Azithromycin Antibiotic Therapy Appears Beneficial In Treatment Of COPD
- What's More Important In Science, Input Quantity Or Output Quality?
- Monoclonal Antibody Dupilumab Safe And Effective In Asthma Phase IIa Trial
- The Storm System That Created The Oklahoma Tornado - As Seen From Space
- Nature, Not Nurture?
- Chinese Bionic Head Progress
- "Hi Quentin,I always leave the door open for out-of-the-box thinking. Of course that does not mean..."
- "Wow - rational dialogue (mostly) about a controversial subject! I feel minds creaking open. Once..."
- "As an electrical engineer and designer the first and obvious question to me was if this thing really..."
- "Funny. I thought Lubos was dead or something - he hasn't commented here in a while.Cheers,T...."
- "Dear John, the answer to your question is simple. CERN deals with science, not pseudoscience. Cold..."
- Study: Empathy plays a key role in moral judgments
- Encouraging signs for bee biodiversity
- Bird's playlist could signal mental strengths and weaknesses
- Small cancer risk following CT scans in childhood and adolescence confirmed
- Life expectancy gap widens between those with mental illness and general population