Geodesy is the science of determining the geometry, gravity field, and rotation of the Earth and their evolution in time. Traditionally, geodesy has been serving other sciences and has had many societal applications, including mapping. With the advent of satellite technology, geodesy itself developed into a science, making unique contributions to the study of the Earth system, its inherit dynamics, and its response to climate change, as well as a tool underpinning a wide variety of other remote sensing techniques. Geodesy is an important element in making all Earth observations interoperable, facilitating the combination of satellite observations with those gathered on ground.
The European Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) is called Galileo. Credit: ESA
Facilitated by Global Navigation Satellite Systems such as GPS, a wide and growing set of applications associated with positioning and navigation is opening up.
Geodesy provides the foundation on which all Earth observation systems are built. In this function, geodesy is essential for Earth observation just like the foundation and frame of a house are necessary to keep it stable over time.
But modern geodesy does more: with its three pillars of geokinematics, Earth gravity field, and Earth rotation, it also provides comprehensive observations of changes in the Earths shape, gravity field and rotation.
The International Association of Geodesy initiated the Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS). GGOS is comprised by, among others, several geodetic services.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- Cape Verde Volcano - The Biggest Natural Disaster You Aren't Reading About
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- Foldscope: A Microscope You Can Carry In Your Pocket
- The Evolution Of Trichromatic Color Vision In Humans
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- "Patrick,I really enjoy these bits of linguistic playfulness, so let me share with you one of my..."
- "Hey. Brian. Don't tell them what to do...."
- "You claimed that the only way something can have a temperature is if it is moving as in the kinetic..."
- "We need to start deportations again! Truman sent back 3.4 million Eisenhower sent back 2.1 million..."
- "Shot with an iPod. You were expecting maybe Ansel Adams?..."
- The VuePod: Powerful enough for a gamer, made for an engineer
- Reducing emergency surgery cuts health care costs
- A polymorphism and the bacteria inside of us help dictate inflammation, antitumor activity
- Televised medical talk shows: Health education or entertainment?
- Ibuprofen leads to extended lifespan, study shows