Geodesy is the science of determining the geometry, gravity field, and rotation of the Earth and their evolution in time. Traditionally, geodesy has been serving other sciences and has had many societal applications, including mapping. With the advent of satellite technology, geodesy itself developed into a science, making unique contributions to the study of the Earth system, its inherit dynamics, and its response to climate change, as well as a tool underpinning a wide variety of other remote sensing techniques. Geodesy is an important element in making all Earth observations interoperable, facilitating the combination of satellite observations with those gathered on ground.
The European Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) is called Galileo. Credit: ESA
Facilitated by Global Navigation Satellite Systems such as GPS, a wide and growing set of applications associated with positioning and navigation is opening up.
Geodesy provides the foundation on which all Earth observation systems are built. In this function, geodesy is essential for Earth observation just like the foundation and frame of a house are necessary to keep it stable over time.
But modern geodesy does more: with its three pillars of geokinematics, Earth gravity field, and Earth rotation, it also provides comprehensive observations of changes in the Earths shape, gravity field and rotation.
The International Association of Geodesy initiated the Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS). GGOS is comprised by, among others, several geodetic services.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- That Enormous Hole In The Universe Might Not Be Alone
- Standards Needed For Post-Conviction Review Of Forensic Evidence
- Temperature Records Study Shows Climate Models Underestimate Magnitude Of Natural Climate Wiggles
- WikiLeaks Emails Show Dr. Oz Puts Business First
- Anti-Vaccine Beliefs Raced Around The World While Science Was Putting On Its Shoes
- Will Asteroid 2012 TC4 Hit Earth in October 2017?
- The Era Of The Atom
- "OK, please show me evidence that going after Oz is preventing anyone from addressing real problems..."
- "Alpha-PVP is Schedule 1 in the USA as of April 2014...."
- "Istvan Szapudi of the Institute for Astronomy at The University of Hawaii at Manoa has found a..."
- "Spinning positive studies of an herbal medicine into an occasion for snide remarks at its users'..."
- "11 years? I think it's near 18 now, and the warm west coast is from the Warm blob off the coast..."
- Link between serotonin and depression is a myth - BMJ
- 85 percent of surgeons disregard breast screening recommendation, screen patients too much
- Universal donor plasma for trauma patients is feasible and can save lives
- Parent training significantly reduces disruptive behavior in children with autism
- No association found between MMR vaccine and autism, even among children at higher autism risk