Geodesy is the science of determining the geometry, gravity field, and rotation of the Earth and their evolution in time. Traditionally, geodesy has been serving other sciences and has had many societal applications, including mapping. With the advent of satellite technology, geodesy itself developed into a science, making unique contributions to the study of the Earth system, its inherit dynamics, and its response to climate change, as well as a tool underpinning a wide variety of other remote sensing techniques. Geodesy is an important element in making all Earth observations interoperable, facilitating the combination of satellite observations with those gathered on ground.
The European Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) is called Galileo. Credit: ESA
Facilitated by Global Navigation Satellite Systems such as GPS, a wide and growing set of applications associated with positioning and navigation is opening up.
Geodesy provides the foundation on which all Earth observation systems are built. In this function, geodesy is essential for Earth observation just like the foundation and frame of a house are necessary to keep it stable over time.
But modern geodesy does more: with its three pillars of geokinematics, Earth gravity field, and Earth rotation, it also provides comprehensive observations of changes in the Earths shape, gravity field and rotation.
The International Association of Geodesy initiated the Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS). GGOS is comprised by, among others, several geodetic services.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- Big Data Tackles How Urban Movement Is Linked To Social Activity
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- What Does Your Gut Microbiome Have To Do With Your Immune System?
- Creepy IBM AI toy coming for Christmas—the Continuum paradox. Eerie IBM video link below.
- CRISPR: Bacterial Viral Defense Targets Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- What Antidepressants Do To Healthy People
- "I am not in a position to doubt one center's results nor is this the place to make comparisons..."
- "I was particularly taken with the Venera missions, sending probes into such a hostile environment..."
- "Maybe the Russian Revolution isn't such a good example. The Bolsheviks had something even more..."
- "As to self-incrimination, people cannot invoke the Fifth Amendment now to withhold certain purely..."
- "Face it, news in America took a death blow with the 2002-2003 war media love fest, The layman can't..."
- Experts warn of stem cell underuse as transplants reach 1 million worldwide
- Feast or famine diet could extend longevity
- Interaction of Atlantic and Pacific oscillations caused 'false pause' in warming
- Embrace unknowns, opt for flexibility in environmental policies
- Newly discovered algal species helps corals survive in the hottest reefs on the planet