Geodesy is the science of determining the geometry, gravity field, and rotation of the Earth and their evolution in time. Traditionally, geodesy has been serving other sciences and has had many societal applications, including mapping. With the advent of satellite technology, geodesy itself developed into a science, making unique contributions to the study of the Earth system, its inherit dynamics, and its response to climate change, as well as a tool underpinning a wide variety of other remote sensing techniques. Geodesy is an important element in making all Earth observations interoperable, facilitating the combination of satellite observations with those gathered on ground.
The European Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) is called Galileo. Credit: ESA
Facilitated by Global Navigation Satellite Systems such as GPS, a wide and growing set of applications associated with positioning and navigation is opening up.
Geodesy provides the foundation on which all Earth observation systems are built. In this function, geodesy is essential for Earth observation just like the foundation and frame of a house are necessary to keep it stable over time.
But modern geodesy does more: with its three pillars of geokinematics, Earth gravity field, and Earth rotation, it also provides comprehensive observations of changes in the Earths shape, gravity field and rotation.
The International Association of Geodesy initiated the Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS). GGOS is comprised by, among others, several geodetic services.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thinking 'I Can Do Better' Really Can Improve Performance, Study Finds
- Brain Cancer: Why Glioblastoma Is So Difficult To Treat
- Bewildering Dune Formation On Mars
- Little To No Association Between Butter Consumption And Chronic Disease Or Total Mortality
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Benign Bacteria Block Mosquitoes From Transmitting Zika, Chikungunya Viruses
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- "Agreed, many people tend to jump the gun when they see an article like his and don’t read down..."
- "One other thing. It's kind of absurd to argue that if you don't have a solution you can't discuss..."
- "Eugenics tends to be a toxic conversation stopper, primarily because of the poisonous political..."
- "Are you proposing pseudo-positive/negative eugenics? As my boss always says, don't point out a..."
- " Media Silent as Concealed Carrier Stops Mass Shooting in Progress at a South Carolina Nightclub..."
- Consensus statement: Environmental toxins hurt brain development, action needed
- New anti-cancer strategy mobilizes both innate and adaptive immune response
- Aging population is growing ranks of cancer survivors
- UK government should fund media campaigns that promote quitting, not films that promote smoking
- Report: A host of common chemicals endanger child brain development