Geodesy is the science of determining the geometry, gravity field, and rotation of the Earth and their evolution in time. Traditionally, geodesy has been serving other sciences and has had many societal applications, including mapping. With the advent of satellite technology, geodesy itself developed into a science, making unique contributions to the study of the Earth system, its inherit dynamics, and its response to climate change, as well as a tool underpinning a wide variety of other remote sensing techniques. Geodesy is an important element in making all Earth observations interoperable, facilitating the combination of satellite observations with those gathered on ground.
The European Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) is called Galileo. Credit: ESA
Facilitated by Global Navigation Satellite Systems such as GPS, a wide and growing set of applications associated with positioning and navigation is opening up.
Geodesy provides the foundation on which all Earth observation systems are built. In this function, geodesy is essential for Earth observation just like the foundation and frame of a house are necessary to keep it stable over time.
But modern geodesy does more: with its three pillars of geokinematics, Earth gravity field, and Earth rotation, it also provides comprehensive observations of changes in the Earths shape, gravity field and rotation.
The International Association of Geodesy initiated the Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS). GGOS is comprised by, among others, several geodetic services.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sam Ting On AMS Results: Dark Matter Might Be One Seminar Away
- BICEP2's vision wasn't that strong, Planck says their window was too dusty.
- Quantum Teleportation 25 Kilometers Away
- Why Natural Gas, Including Fracking, Is Better For The Environment Than Wind And Solar
- Graphene Sensor Tracks Down Cancer Biomarkers
- 30 Years Left To Reach The Limit: CO2 Emissions Will Reach New Record High In 2014
- Vitriolic Abuse Of Anita Sarkeesian: Why The Games Industry Needs Her
- "We decided all questions ENVIRONMENTALLY CLEAN energy the future of humanity..."
- "0 about corruption in game journalism? 0 about #notyourshield? 0 about GameJournoPros group? Meh...."
- "The key word isThis is complete rubbish, we don't know the sensitivity of the climate to Co2, but..."
- "I don't mean to simulate evolution, but use genetic algorithm techniques to evolve your algorithms..."
- Neurons express 'gloss' using 3 perceptual parameters
- A two-generation lens: Current state policies fail to support families with young children
- Good bowel cleansing is key for high-quality colonoscopy
- New RFID technology helps robots find household objects
- Lack of thyroid hormone blocks hearing development
Books By Writers Here