ATLAS has just released a note which summarizes the searches for the standard model Higgs boson in 7-TeV and 8-TeV data. Since July 4th the main improvement is the addition of the WW channel, which had not been shown back then. With it, the combined local significance of the 126 GeV Higgs boson excess in the WW, ZZ, and γγ channels grows to 5.9 standard deviations. In the words of a Facebook friend who's in ATLAS: "if this is not a discovery, I don't know what is".
So, due congratulations to my ATLAS colleagues for this new important document. The paper is indeed full of detail about the searches, answering many of the questions that the format of the July 4th event did not allow to be asked.
The most important measurements, those of mass and cross sections, are summarized in the figure on the right, which shows the 1-sigma contours for the different final states: the WW measurement is the one which extends the most in the horizontal axis, because of the large indetermination in the mass due to the escaping neutrino pair.
The three measurements are consistent with each other, and the global signal strength is measured at 1.4+-0.3 times the standard model predictions for a 126 GeV Higgs boson.
On the left you can see the reconstructed WW transverse mass for Higgs candidates found by ATLAS, with the data (black points) compared to sum of backgrounds and predicted Higgs signal (in red). As you can see, the data has a strong excess, which contributes sizably to the global combined significance.
Finally, a very interesting plot similar to the one that CMS had produced on July 4th is the one shown below, which shows the signal strength modifier for the diphoton channel, calculated with respect to the different Higgs production modes: gluon-fusion and top pair higgsstrahlung on the horizontal axis, and vector boson fusion plus vector boson higgsstrahlung on the vertical axis.
The production modes may be differently affected by non-standard-model physics, so this is a very nice check of consistency that Higgs production occurs (roughly) as we expect. It is shown below.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Why Do Spacecraft Crash On Mars So Easily?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- "I often get that too. Please see my Debunking: You can’t trust anyone except the Nibiru..."
- "your bound to say its not real arent you mr walker..."
- "No problem :). If you are worried about a news story, post here and I'll debunk it. In most cases..."
- "Nibiru is a nonsense hoax that is only scary to people who have no understanding of astronomy and..."
- "Oh,ok. Sorry for the interruption sir. And also I read both information. ..."
- Pollution Is Many Things; Cause of Death Isn't One of Them
- Hi-Tech Insight at How Early Mariners Explored Pacific Islands
- Pollution Is Many Things - Cause Of Death Is Not One Of Them
- Gonorrhea and Chlamydia and Syphilis, Oh My!
- Pollution Is Many Things - Expensive Is Not One Of Them
- Necrotizing Fasciitis: A Profound Mystery in Medical Microbiology