ATLAS has just released a note which summarizes the searches for the standard model Higgs boson in 7-TeV and 8-TeV data. Since July 4th the main improvement is the addition of the WW channel, which had not been shown back then. With it, the combined local significance of the 126 GeV Higgs boson excess in the WW, ZZ, and γγ channels grows to 5.9 standard deviations. In the words of a Facebook friend who's in ATLAS: "if this is not a discovery, I don't know what is".
So, due congratulations to my ATLAS colleagues for this new important document. The paper is indeed full of detail about the searches, answering many of the questions that the format of the July 4th event did not allow to be asked.
The most important measurements, those of mass and cross sections, are summarized in the figure on the right, which shows the 1-sigma contours for the different final states: the WW measurement is the one which extends the most in the horizontal axis, because of the large indetermination in the mass due to the escaping neutrino pair.
The three measurements are consistent with each other, and the global signal strength is measured at 1.4+-0.3 times the standard model predictions for a 126 GeV Higgs boson.
On the left you can see the reconstructed WW transverse mass for Higgs candidates found by ATLAS, with the data (black points) compared to sum of backgrounds and predicted Higgs signal (in red). As you can see, the data has a strong excess, which contributes sizably to the global combined significance.
Finally, a very interesting plot similar to the one that CMS had produced on July 4th is the one shown below, which shows the signal strength modifier for the diphoton channel, calculated with respect to the different Higgs production modes: gluon-fusion and top pair higgsstrahlung on the horizontal axis, and vector boson fusion plus vector boson higgsstrahlung on the vertical axis.
The production modes may be differently affected by non-standard-model physics, so this is a very nice check of consistency that Higgs production occurs (roughly) as we expect. It is shown below.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- It's Not The Nicotine: US Teens More Likely To Vape For Flavorings
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- Control Cancer By Making The Tumor Cell Environment Hostile
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- "The only video I've seen doesn't have any clouds. Indeed it's just two dots, one red and one white..."
- "E-cigarettes are drug paraphernalia and vaping is substance abuse: About 20 percent said they are..."
- "Sooo... Quoting your article, Red moons only happen during total eclipses, yet there was no total..."
- "I also seen a white circular object when I was sitting on the bus this morning when the sun was..."
- "We used to have a chess game right here on the site, so readers could challenge or watch. But almost..."
- Another Kardashian Craze Debunked
- Fad Friday: Ditch The Body Wrap!
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Latest IARC Report Connects Fatness with More Cancers
- Fact Checking Mylan Claims They Raised The EpiPen Price Because of Improvements
- Compostable Keurig Pods Can Keep Millions of Pounds Of Plastic Out of Landfills
- UNIST to engineer next-generation smart separator membranes
- Important advance made with new approach to 'control' cancer, not eliminate it
- More to rainbows than meets the eye
- US teens more likely to vape for flavorings than nicotine in e-cigarettes