I wish to report here the moves of a game of chess I played on the Internet Chess Club a moment ago, against a similarly rated opponent. This was a 5' game -all your moves have to be done in five minutes, or you lose on time. Under such circumstances, games are ridden with mistakes of all kinds, oversights, strategical blunders, howlers. But sometimes, a game which can be shown with pride appears magically out of sudden inspiration. Here is such an instance.
Tonno - datigoneptraskam, ICC 2009
1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 cxd5 4.c4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6
We are in a well-known variation of the Panov attack of the Caro-Kann defence. It is a very unbalanced opening, with chances of dynamic play for both sides. These opening moves usually originate interesting positions, and indeed this is the case.
6.cxd5 Bg7 7.Bc4 0-0 8.Nge2 Nbd7 9.Bb3 Nb6
With his sixth move black has conceded the d5 pawn to white. The pawn is not for free: by temporarily parting with it, black hopes to focus his forces on the white center, to later dismantle it and obtain the "initiative" -the ephemeral, but important advantage of having control of the operations.
10.Nf4 Bf5 11. 0-0 Qd7 12.Re1 Rfe8
The position is still "by the book". White will try to consolidate his d5 pawn as much as possible, while developing his pieces actively, placing his rooks on the e-file, and if possibly, attacking the black king's position: especially the f7 pawn is chronically weak.
13.h3 h5 14.Be3 Rad8 15.Qf3 a5 16.a3 a4 17.Ba2 Qd6 18.Rad1 Rc8 19.Bc1!
White prevents the jump to c4 of the black knight, by protecting the b2 pawn and freeing the e-file to his rooks
19. ... Red8 20.Re5! Ne8 21.Rde1!
White offers black a rook for the darksquared bishop. Normally this is a sufficient advantage to win the game, but in exchange for the rook white obtains total control of the center, undoubles his central pawns, and prepares a pawn grab with the trick Nxh5. Black correctly declines the offer.
21... Rd7 22.Nxh5!? gxh5 23.Qxf5
Here white had better take with the rook, pressuring the f7 pawn; however, the move in the game does not spoil his advantage.
23.... Bxe5 24.dxe5 Qg6
Here we understand the power of the unblocked, advanced central pawns. Black is forced to place his queen in a position which already would allow some tactical trick. White here could play Qxg6 fxg6 d6+, and after a king move, Be6 wins back the exchange with advantage. But white prefers to set up another trick, having observed that black is short of time -in such circumstances the queen exchange is not the best choice - white wants to complicate the game further, and now he tries to ruin the coordination of the black pieces with a queen sortie on the queenside.
25. Qf3 Nc7 26.d6 exd6 27.Qxb7?! Ncd5
Objectively, the capture on b7 was not the best option for white, but the position is highly complex to play for black, and in fact he falls in a trap.
28.Qa6 Nxc3 ?
White does not care to regain the knight he just
lost, and instead puts more gasoline on the fire. The black position
now collapses under the threats of the advancing pawn. If fxe6, for
instance, there follows Bxe6+ and a whole rook falls, with further
attack on the other; in the meantime, the c3 knight remains hanging, as
does the b6 one.
Another mistake in time trouble, but black cannot save himself by Rd8 Re8+
31.dxc8=Q+ Nxc8 32.Qxc8+ Kg7 33.Qxc1
Prosaic. The smoke has cleared, and white is one full rook ahead. Black lost on time in this hopeless position.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Pollution In Toronto's Subways
- Thiamethoxam: Study Claims Neonicotinoid Causes Erratic Bee Flight
- Emotional Feeding Leads To Emotional Eating
- LHCb Measures Unity, Finds 0.6
- Government: There Is More To Science Than Government-Funded Jobs
- Predicting Methane Rise, Using A Hydroxyl Radical Estimate
- Kuphus Polythalamia: Giant Sulfur-Powered Shipworm Is The Stuff Of Science Fiction
- "Sure. I am not sure who you are but we don't throw anyone out. We have some people who probably..."
- "Hey, Hank, Would I be welcomed back to the site, if I asked nicely? Anyway, there are still no..."
- "Thanks for sharing..."
- "A lot of it boils down to conspiracy. And I have no reason to doubt astrophysicists and scientists..."
- "Yes, the region of q^2 near threshold (q^2 here is the ee or μμ invariant mass) is sensitive..."
- Gender disparity in physician income - a new straw man rises
- DSHEA Has Allowed 23 Years Of Disgraceful Cancer Claims By Supplement Makers
- Cost and Payments: Two Peculiarities of U.S. Healthcare Spending
- Two Melanoma 'Blockers' Identified, Researchers Report
- Cost and Coverage: Two Peculiarities of U.S. Healthcare Spending
- The Many Invisible Faces of Type 1 Diabetes
- Manipulating water using light
- Sympathetic nervous system: Your brain, not your white blood cells, keeps you warm
- You can't trust EWG about pesticides on fruits and vegetables
- In reading, kindergarten became the new first grade, thanks to No Child Left Behind
- Vitamin D supplements don't prevent cardiovascular disease