Venice is a wonderful place to visit, if you have a week or even a weekend to spend immersed in art and history, or just to get lost in it and enjoy the romanticism of the place. However, if you live there you tend to hate the town as much as you love it.
Take a house move for instance: nowhere is a house move a kid's game -it is in fact a well-known cause of stress in any circumstance. But in Venice it may become a real trauma. The problem is multi-fold: houses do not usually have an elevator; stairs are usually too narrow for any piece of furniture; space in front of one's windows may be too limited for any manouver.
And then there's the issue with transporting stuff from one place to another: you have to use a boat. Besides the larger cost of boat transportation as compared with a semi-truck or van, boats used for transportation do not protect from rain, so the weather factor can pitch in and change your schedule any time.
I moved from an apartment to another yesterday, and the fact that today I am relatively fine (the aftermath physically amounting to back and muscle pain and some knee trouble) means that I was really lucky. The old place is basically empty now, and the new one already quite livable -some scattered boxes of books and other stuff are still around, but apart from that there's no real sign of the fierce battle that took place yesterday.
The big problem, however, is that I have no internet connection there yet -the phone company that provides it is taking its time to do it. So I expect less blogging capabilities for a while - I will do my blogging during office hours, but this is probably going to mean shorter posts in the next couple of weeks.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Grading The President's Strategy To Promote Bee Health
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Catechins In Green Tea Reduce Prostate Cancer In Men At High Risk
- The Atlantic Ocean's Cool Phase Will Change The World's Weather
- Highlights Of The INFN School Of Statistics For Physicists
- Programmatic Marketing: Sometimes It Actually Is Rocket Science
- "We usually tried to avoid ethanol for obvious reasons, but were fine with DMSO. Didn't much care..."
- "When that paragraph started, I assumed it was one of the practical physics challenges as part of..."
- "This is celastrol, the active compound under investigation. I looked up the page for Tripterygium..."
- "Right now, at efficacious doses, we are getting it into solution with PEG and ethanol. If I wanted..."
- "This article is rubbish from headline to conclusion. The headline statement tries to present a..."