Venice is a wonderful place to visit, if you have a week or even a weekend to spend immersed in art and history, or just to get lost in it and enjoy the romanticism of the place. However, if you live there you tend to hate the town as much as you love it.
Take a house move for instance: nowhere is a house move a kid's game -it is in fact a well-known cause of stress in any circumstance. But in Venice it may become a real trauma. The problem is multi-fold: houses do not usually have an elevator; stairs are usually too narrow for any piece of furniture; space in front of one's windows may be too limited for any manouver.
And then there's the issue with transporting stuff from one place to another: you have to use a boat. Besides the larger cost of boat transportation as compared with a semi-truck or van, boats used for transportation do not protect from rain, so the weather factor can pitch in and change your schedule any time.
I moved from an apartment to another yesterday, and the fact that today I am relatively fine (the aftermath physically amounting to back and muscle pain and some knee trouble) means that I was really lucky. The old place is basically empty now, and the new one already quite livable -some scattered boxes of books and other stuff are still around, but apart from that there's no real sign of the fierce battle that took place yesterday.
The big problem, however, is that I have no internet connection there yet -the phone company that provides it is taking its time to do it. So I expect less blogging capabilities for a while - I will do my blogging during office hours, but this is probably going to mean shorter posts in the next couple of weeks.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Yawunik Kootenayi - Lobster With Two Sets Of Eyes From 500,000,000 B.C.
- NRDC Says Your Xbox Is Causing Global Warming - But It Isn't
- Drinking Raw Milk Dramatically Increases Risk For Foodborne Illness, Analysis Finds
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- "Who are we kidding? The mass ed model is not set up for 2E. The growing homeschool movement with..."
- "Terrence- I just don't get curling. The guys with the brooms look like lunatics. And you..."
- "Mr Bloom Yes you have made your Point. Have you ever watched curling? As an active sport, point..."
- "Terence- Thanks for your comments. Although I am pretty good at spotting quacks, I cannot say the..."
- "Greetings Mr Bloom Thank you for your work. I currently reside in Boise Idaho. Looking at the Pewforum..."