Venice is a wonderful place to visit, if you have a week or even a weekend to spend immersed in art and history, or just to get lost in it and enjoy the romanticism of the place. However, if you live there you tend to hate the town as much as you love it.
Take a house move for instance: nowhere is a house move a kid's game -it is in fact a well-known cause of stress in any circumstance. But in Venice it may become a real trauma. The problem is multi-fold: houses do not usually have an elevator; stairs are usually too narrow for any piece of furniture; space in front of one's windows may be too limited for any manouver.
And then there's the issue with transporting stuff from one place to another: you have to use a boat. Besides the larger cost of boat transportation as compared with a semi-truck or van, boats used for transportation do not protect from rain, so the weather factor can pitch in and change your schedule any time.
I moved from an apartment to another yesterday, and the fact that today I am relatively fine (the aftermath physically amounting to back and muscle pain and some knee trouble) means that I was really lucky. The old place is basically empty now, and the new one already quite livable -some scattered boxes of books and other stuff are still around, but apart from that there's no real sign of the fierce battle that took place yesterday.
The big problem, however, is that I have no internet connection there yet -the phone company that provides it is taking its time to do it. So I expect less blogging capabilities for a while - I will do my blogging during office hours, but this is probably going to mean shorter posts in the next couple of weeks.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Statistical Mechanics Reveals The Ideal Hideout During A Zombie Takeover
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- Big Data Tackles How Urban Movement Is Linked To Social Activity
- What Does Your Gut Microbiome Have To Do With Your Immune System?
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- Creepy IBM AI toy coming for Christmas—the Continuum paradox. Eerie IBM video link below.
- "I don't want to be too much of a downer, so here is an effort by Mr. Nimoy to shake off the Spock..."
- "The Chinese herb Radix . . . rather incomplete, since that simply means Root (of). A bit of..."
- "My wife showed me this picture on her I-phone and thought I was crazy for saying it was blue. I..."
- "New Science not peer reviewed. Graham Lawton where are your credentials? Who are these scientists..."
- "Very much enjoyed the article.Currently I am abstaining from added sugar due to lack of interest..."
- Zombie outbreak? Statistical mechanics reveals the ideal hideout
- Study challenges theory on unconscious memory system, links hippocampus to unconscious memory
- Saving energy: Increasing oil flow in the keystone pipeline with electric fields
- Experts warn of stem cell underuse as transplants reach 1 million worldwide
- Feast or famine diet could extend longevity