Venice is a wonderful place to visit, if you have a week or even a weekend to spend immersed in art and history, or just to get lost in it and enjoy the romanticism of the place. However, if you live there you tend to hate the town as much as you love it.
Take a house move for instance: nowhere is a house move a kid's game -it is in fact a well-known cause of stress in any circumstance. But in Venice it may become a real trauma. The problem is multi-fold: houses do not usually have an elevator; stairs are usually too narrow for any piece of furniture; space in front of one's windows may be too limited for any manouver.
And then there's the issue with transporting stuff from one place to another: you have to use a boat. Besides the larger cost of boat transportation as compared with a semi-truck or van, boats used for transportation do not protect from rain, so the weather factor can pitch in and change your schedule any time.
I moved from an apartment to another yesterday, and the fact that today I am relatively fine (the aftermath physically amounting to back and muscle pain and some knee trouble) means that I was really lucky. The old place is basically empty now, and the new one already quite livable -some scattered boxes of books and other stuff are still around, but apart from that there's no real sign of the fierce battle that took place yesterday.
The big problem, however, is that I have no internet connection there yet -the phone company that provides it is taking its time to do it. So I expect less blogging capabilities for a while - I will do my blogging during office hours, but this is probably going to mean shorter posts in the next couple of weeks.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- US Could Feed Twice As Many People - If Only Elites Eat Meat
- People Estimate Their Own Abilities Based On Others' Performance
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "Hi Lumo,sorry but you should think a bit more about the task that the selection committee has in..."
- "Thanks, glad to have helped. Yes of course, it is up to people to believe what they want to believe..."
- "Oh, sorry I should have added a TL:DR. Have done so now:I am skeptical about any of ideas about..."
- "Thanks for the nice and in detail article Mr.Walker. I some times feel pity on those whose motive..."
- "Thanks, glad to have helped :)...."
- Unusual new zoantharian species is the first described solitary species in over 100 years
- Scientists develop painless and inexpensive microneedle system to monitor drugs
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression