Venice is a wonderful place to visit, if you have a week or even a weekend to spend immersed in art and history, or just to get lost in it and enjoy the romanticism of the place. However, if you live there you tend to hate the town as much as you love it.
Take a house move for instance: nowhere is a house move a kid's game -it is in fact a well-known cause of stress in any circumstance. But in Venice it may become a real trauma. The problem is multi-fold: houses do not usually have an elevator; stairs are usually too narrow for any piece of furniture; space in front of one's windows may be too limited for any manouver.
And then there's the issue with transporting stuff from one place to another: you have to use a boat. Besides the larger cost of boat transportation as compared with a semi-truck or van, boats used for transportation do not protect from rain, so the weather factor can pitch in and change your schedule any time.
I moved from an apartment to another yesterday, and the fact that today I am relatively fine (the aftermath physically amounting to back and muscle pain and some knee trouble) means that I was really lucky. The old place is basically empty now, and the new one already quite livable -some scattered boxes of books and other stuff are still around, but apart from that there's no real sign of the fierce battle that took place yesterday.
The big problem, however, is that I have no internet connection there yet -the phone company that provides it is taking its time to do it. So I expect less blogging capabilities for a while - I will do my blogging during office hours, but this is probably going to mean shorter posts in the next couple of weeks.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Genetic Variant May Help Explain Why Labradors Are Prone To Obesity
- Early Warning: Current Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine Might Not Protect
- Nanoparticles Hold Promise As Double-edged Sword Against Genital Herpes
- Mimicking The Ingenuity Of Nature
- Planet Nine: A World That Shouldn't Exist
- One Third Of Antibiotic Prescriptions Unnecessary
- "It is good to see that Current Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine Might Not Protect. thank you for sharing..."
- "Your post are getting funnier by the minute. Here's the joke: What could be more Ivory Tower than..."
- "What actual science are you talking about? All I've seen so far, is a bunch of talking points from..."
- "The reason I feel compelled to use a different name is due to the difference in the topology You..."
- "Please email me, I want to know every bit of knowledge you can provide. I've got so many questions...."