Sadly, this morning Milla Baldo Ceolin passed away.
Milla was a volcanic physicist, and a fantastic professor. I had the pleasure of following her course of "Fisica Superiore" in the late eighties, and I remember her brilliant lessons, insightful and mind-broadening.
Milla was born in 1924, and graduated in Physics in 1951. In 1963 she was the first woman to become a professor in the University of Padova. Her research encompasses fifty years of subnuclear physics, and is especially centered on weak interactions. But in Padova, especially in the last two or three decades, her name was especially associated with neutrinos, the phenomenal particles at whose study her research was mostly aimed.
A survey at UCLA on "Contributions of the 20th Century Women to Physics" selected her together with 82 other women for her important contributions to physics. She won many important awards in recognition for her career and research achievements (a list can be found here, along with an essential bibliography).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Peanut Consumption Decreases Mortality
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- Avoid These 3 Risk Factors, Gain 13 Years Of Quality Life
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- "Above the author writes: Leipheimer was only banned for six months, and out of season so he did..."
- "I worked in cycling during the Armstrong period. Lance Armstrong was banned from cycling not so..."
- "Speaking as a woman with a family (4 kids) and a tenured professor in STEM, these are all either..."
- "Right off the bat, this article states that Lance has to repay previous Sponsors 10 million. Wrong..."
- "Just a sample of one, but my son’s girlfriend who was bipolar had poor reactions to pot. This..."
- How healthy is genetically modified soybean oil?
- Healthier males help infertile obese females conceive
- Oxytocin nasal spray causes men to eat fewer calories
- Molecule found in tree leaves helps female mice combat weight gain
- Old mothers know best: Killer whale study sheds light on the evolution of menopause
Books By Writers Here