Rita Levi-Montalcini, Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1986, turns 100 years old today: she was born on April 22nd, 1909 -before World War I had begun!
"Ok," you might say, "she's probably bedridden and demented by now." Not in the least. She is in full possession of all her wits, is a very active Senator, and has declared a few days ago that her brain works better now than it did when she was 20, because of her experience. I bet she is not kidding.
As a researcher, her most important contribution to Medicine is the discovery, in 1952, of the Nerve Growth Factor (NGF), a protein inducing differentiation in neurons. She was awarded a Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1986 for that discovery, together with her colleague Stanley Cohen.
Levi-Montalcini was nominated Senator For Life by italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi in 2001. She has been actively following the works of the italian Senate since then, providing in a few cases decisive support to Romano Prodi's 2006-2008 center-left government, which had then a very narrow majority in the Senate.
My best wishes to Rita, an example of dedication and coherence to all researchers in the World.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- New Results From The LHC At 13 TeV!
- Coffee Consumption Linked To Lower Risk Of Mild Cognitive Impairment
- An Anti-Aging Pill Is Still A Long Way Off
- "well, this is part of the problem of rush to publish, rather than proper peer review. ..."
- "this makes many things that I have been reading and experiencing make sense. thank you, Nina Tryggvas..."
- "Welcome to Science twenty Kavin! I'm a bit disheartened someone with the generic shrill accusation..."
- "Another good article, as always. I've made this point several times to friends and family, especially..."
- "Making the statement, Evidence-base 'insight', doesn't make the insight - or in this case, opinions..."
- Prostate cancer is 5 different diseases
- When surgeons listen to their preferred music, their stitches are better and faster
- Depressed females have over-active glutamate receptor gene
- How to become a cellular T follicular helper
- The Lancet profiles scare stories from Hiroshima and Nagasaki to Fukushima