In Sierra Leone mothers use caustic soda to home-make soap, and children often exchange it for water and drink it. During 2008 alone, 249 children have been admitted in the surgical pediatric unit of the Emergency center in Goderich, near Freetown - a number twice higher than that recorded in 2007.
Patients who ingested caustic soda are subjected to periodic esophageal dilatation, which is the only way to give them the hope of autonomous nutrition and thus a life.
Emergency is an independent, neutral and non-political Italian organization, which provides free, high-quality medical and surgical treatment to the civilian victims of war, landmines, and poverty. It promotes a culture of solidarity, peace, and respect for human rights.
The Emergency hospital in Goderich (right) is the only place in the whole country where this procedure is possible. The endoscopes which have so far been used by surgeons there require urgent repair, and two new instruments have to be acquired, one for children and one for teenagers. The total cost of the operation is of about 26,000 US dollars.
If you are sitting on some extra money and if you care for the life of children wherever they live, you might consider contributing to the repair and purchase of endoscopes by donating money with your credit card at the Emergency web site. Please be sure to specify "Sierra Leone - programma di dilatazione" in the form.
Documentation on the program (in italian only)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Most Idiotic Rejection Of Course From Philosopher Of Science Not Grasping Relativity
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- An Argument For Legalizing Doping In Sports
- An Historical Moment For Diabetes
- Two Saturdays: Why A 4 Day Work Week Might Make Sense
- College Students Know E-cigarettes Aren't Tobacco, Their Professors Are More Confused
- "This professor is not confused. Ecigs are no more a tobacco product than Mountain Dew is a coffee..."
- "There is no shortage of technology to 'feed the world' but Fedoroff's techno-optimist fantasy illogically..."
- "The FDA can not approve needed drugs and approves un-needed drugs. One more argument that drug..."
- "Just adding a thought here. This is to do with the idea of adapting BIOS-3 and also crop growing..."
- "I'll take this with a grain for now..."
- Naps linked to reduced blood pressure and fewer medications
- Why girls are less interested in computer science: Classrooms are too 'geeky'
- Frogs make irrational choices - and what means for understanding animal mating
- Depression, blood pressure extremes predict highest rates of vascular events
- The Superhero craze may be over