In Sierra Leone mothers use caustic soda to home-make soap, and children often exchange it for water and drink it. During 2008 alone, 249 children have been admitted in the surgical pediatric unit of the Emergency center in Goderich, near Freetown - a number twice higher than that recorded in 2007.
Patients who ingested caustic soda are subjected to periodic esophageal dilatation, which is the only way to give them the hope of autonomous nutrition and thus a life.
Emergency is an independent, neutral and non-political Italian organization, which provides free, high-quality medical and surgical treatment to the civilian victims of war, landmines, and poverty. It promotes a culture of solidarity, peace, and respect for human rights.
The Emergency hospital in Goderich (right) is the only place in the whole country where this procedure is possible. The endoscopes which have so far been used by surgeons there require urgent repair, and two new instruments have to be acquired, one for children and one for teenagers. The total cost of the operation is of about 26,000 US dollars.
If you are sitting on some extra money and if you care for the life of children wherever they live, you might consider contributing to the repair and purchase of endoscopes by donating money with your credit card at the Emergency web site. Please be sure to specify "Sierra Leone - programma di dilatazione" in the form.
Documentation on the program (in italian only)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "No,. there is no way it could slip through. We have surveyed the solar system far too thoroughly..."
- "It's not being silly to believe stuff you've read on the internet. I've been taken in a few times..."
- "hi mr walker ive got a family just like yourself and I no some of them don't no about this nibiru..."
- "How about this? Munich police save giant tortoise from train tracksIt weighs about 20 kg..."
- "so your not scared abit not even the slightest and theres no way this thing could have slipped..."
- Special issue of Future Medicinal Chemistry explores the diverse field of chemical biology
- Fish could have emotions and consciousness
- New report outlines benefits and trade-offs of low-carbon energy
- Changing labor laws may hurt public employees' clout in presidential election, study finds
- Drug-resistant bacteria carried by nursing home patients focus of study