"The yield of muon pairs decreased rapidly from 1 GeV to the kinematic limit of nearly 6 GeV with the exception of a curious shoulder near 3GeV. The measurement of muons was by range as determined by liquid and plastic scintillation counters interspersed with steel shielding. Each angular bin (there were 18) had four range bins, and for two muons this made a total of only 5000 mass bins into which to sort the data. Multiple scattering in the minimum of 10 feet of steel
made finer binning useless. Thus we could only note that "Indeed, in the mass region near 3.5 GeV, the observed spectrum may be reproduced by a composite of a resonance and a steeper continuum." This 1968-1969 experiment was repeated in 1974 by Aubert et al. (1974), with a
magnetic spectrometer based upon multiwire proportional chambers. The shoulder was refined by the superior resolution into a towering peak [see Figure] called the "J" particle."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- 'Dirty Blizzard' Sent 2010 Gulf Oil Spill Pollution To Seafloor
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To Solar System Exploration, Open Ended, Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Anti-Science Beliefs On GMOs May Be Due To Knowledge Gap
- Sorry Social Psychology, Mating By Education Level Not Affecting Genetic Make-Up
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- Prohibition 2016: Assessing The UK's Psychoactive Substances Act
- Silencing Cholera's Social Media
- "Giving poor people cheap energy just makes them subservient to those who control the supply of..."
- "In TVA, the culture problem was solved by fixing the cheap energy one. Including education...."
- "You might be worrying about the wrong problem. Do you know any smart, highly educated people who..."
- "What could be more unscientific than denying people the right to know which ingredients in their..."
- "The good that Trump already does that is good for science is that he widens the PC-strangled overtone..."
- Studying life on the rocks
- Large global range of prices for hepatitis C medicines raises concerns about affordability
- Mapping neural networks to strengthen circadian rhythms
- Calcium signals balance the body's response to infection against potential for self-attack
- Scientists find brain area responsible for learning from immediate experience