"The yield of muon pairs decreased rapidly from 1 GeV to the kinematic limit of nearly 6 GeV with the exception of a curious shoulder near 3GeV. The measurement of muons was by range as determined by liquid and plastic scintillation counters interspersed with steel shielding. Each angular bin (there were 18) had four range bins, and for two muons this made a total of only 5000 mass bins into which to sort the data. Multiple scattering in the minimum of 10 feet of steel
made finer binning useless. Thus we could only note that "Indeed, in the mass region near 3.5 GeV, the observed spectrum may be reproduced by a composite of a resonance and a steeper continuum." This 1968-1969 experiment was repeated in 1974 by Aubert et al. (1974), with a
magnetic spectrometer based upon multiwire proportional chambers. The shoulder was refined by the superior resolution into a towering peak [see Figure] called the "J" particle."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- Native Grass Make Super-Thin Condoms
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Starting Age Of Marijuana Use May Have Long-term Effects On Brain Development
- Lipid-based Diets Effectively Combat Alzheimer's Disease In Mouse Model
- Inconvenient Truth: There Are Synthetic Pesticide Residues On Organic
- "Here's a link to the twins study: http://news.meta.com/2016/01/18/twinsstudy/..."
- "Marijuana creates a greater degree of grey matter in the brain. it is the most important human..."
- "The USA is not a democracy it is a federal republic based on a combination of Native American and..."
- "There are recent longitudinal studies, with well over 100 sets of twins included. The studies disclosed..."
- "Hi Tommaso,There are by now many hypothetical and speculative ways to explain possible new particles..."
- National Academy of Medicine Supports Replacing Faulty Mitochondrial DNA
- Pregnant & Still Smoking: Better Way Needed To Quit
- ‘Healthy Obesity’ May Be an Oxymoron, Study Says
- Keeping the PBJ, While Chasing NBA Immortality
- The Public Toilet Seat’s Place on the ‘Ick Scale’
- Moms-to-Be: Take Chocolate Benefits With Grain of Salt