"The yield of muon pairs decreased rapidly from 1 GeV to the kinematic limit of nearly 6 GeV with the exception of a curious shoulder near 3GeV. The measurement of muons was by range as determined by liquid and plastic scintillation counters interspersed with steel shielding. Each angular bin (there were 18) had four range bins, and for two muons this made a total of only 5000 mass bins into which to sort the data. Multiple scattering in the minimum of 10 feet of steel
made finer binning useless. Thus we could only note that "Indeed, in the mass region near 3.5 GeV, the observed spectrum may be reproduced by a composite of a resonance and a steeper continuum." This 1968-1969 experiment was repeated in 1974 by Aubert et al. (1974), with a
magnetic spectrometer based upon multiwire proportional chambers. The shoulder was refined by the superior resolution into a towering peak [see Figure] called the "J" particle."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Wave-Particle Duality And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- Enlightenment Finding Eternity In The Now
- "First off, Popperian falsifiability doesn't fit well into the realities of Science, since the likelihood..."
- "There is a guideline in science; when someone outside science invokes Popper, they probably don't..."
- "Anon.:Postdictions are certainly important. However, they are only the first of two steps..."
- "Yes, I meant toxic or harmful chemicals. I suppose you live in an area which is prone to heavy..."
- "Considering these science journals apparently earn so much money it also seems strange that they..."
- Blocking excessive division of cell powerhouses reduces liver cell death in cholestasis
- Study reveals major websites could be doing more to promote improved password security
- New technology makes tissues, someday maybe organs
- Suppressing a protein reduces cancer spread in mice
- Study: An alternative for pain control after knee replacement surgery