I am changing my nickname on a few sites I visit - ones where a nickname is useful - to "allhadronic". The name makes reference to the hadronic final state of certain particle decays. Hadron comes from ancient greek and means "strong", and indeed the strong force is the one responsible for the binding of quarks and gluons inside protons, neutrons, and other unstable particles, collectively also called hadrons.
So "all hadronic" means a final state which is entirely made up of hadrons. Such is the case of the most frequent decays of top-antitop quark pairs: 45% of the events where a top pair is produced end up with hadronic jets. Hadronic jets are sprays of light hadrons that are produced when a quark or a gluon is kicked off the interaction point of a energetic collision with a sizable momentum, and it fragments in a stream of particles which are "stable" as far as the strong interaction is concerned. They eventually decay into ordinary particles we are more familiar with, but they can be detected in the tracking systems of collider detector experiments.
I find the nickname quite nice, especially since the "all hadronic" final state of top quark pairs is the first data analysis I took on, at the start of my HEP career. Indeed, my team was the first to observe this difficult final state of top quark pairs, back in 1997, with the CDF detector.
Also, note that "all hadronic" -all strong- is a quite good name when you play in an online chess site as I do, at least compared with my old nickname, "tonno" (= tuna fish!). I liked "tonno" because of its ironic sound - the tuna fish is not the smartest in the sea, as evidenced by its rather sleepy-looking eye... And in chess, a sleepy eye is really a bad quality to possess...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Microwave Electron Guns: A Field-Emission Plug-And-Play Solution
- Ancient Buried Canyon In South Tibet Rules Out Tectonic Aneurysm
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- In A Snowstorm, Do You Want Salt Or Vegetable Juice On Your Road?
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- "And one of my odd word Google alerts pays off. Into the article archive for repetitive linking..."
- "It's not just the city of Seattle. The state Dept of Ecoterrorism finds excuses to slaughter the..."
- "Possibly not so far fetched; Humans seem to prefer funding space exploration on nationalistic rather..."
- "With a MacBook less. Good thing aliens had also spontaneously developed HyperTalk or Taligent or..."
- "That's probably just your American Exceptionalism Privilege talking. Other countries are less imperialistic..."
- Clipping proteins that package genes may limit abnormal cell growth in tumors
- Investigational drug reduces high potassium levels in chronic kidney disease patients
- Study: Doubling saturated fat in the diet does not increase saturated fat in blood
- Women with serious mental illness less likely to receive cancer screenings
- Only half of patients take their medications as prescribed