I am changing my nickname on a few sites I visit - ones where a nickname is useful - to "allhadronic". The name makes reference to the hadronic final state of certain particle decays. Hadron comes from ancient greek and means "strong", and indeed the strong force is the one responsible for the binding of quarks and gluons inside protons, neutrons, and other unstable particles, collectively also called hadrons.
So "all hadronic" means a final state which is entirely made up of hadrons. Such is the case of the most frequent decays of top-antitop quark pairs: 45% of the events where a top pair is produced end up with hadronic jets. Hadronic jets are sprays of light hadrons that are produced when a quark or a gluon is kicked off the interaction point of a energetic collision with a sizable momentum, and it fragments in a stream of particles which are "stable" as far as the strong interaction is concerned. They eventually decay into ordinary particles we are more familiar with, but they can be detected in the tracking systems of collider detector experiments.
I find the nickname quite nice, especially since the "all hadronic" final state of top quark pairs is the first data analysis I took on, at the start of my HEP career. Indeed, my team was the first to observe this difficult final state of top quark pairs, back in 1997, with the CDF detector.
Also, note that "all hadronic" -all strong- is a quite good name when you play in an online chess site as I do, at least compared with my old nickname, "tonno" (= tuna fish!). I liked "tonno" because of its ironic sound - the tuna fish is not the smartest in the sea, as evidenced by its rather sleepy-looking eye... And in chess, a sleepy eye is really a bad quality to possess...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Bioinformatics Tool Shows Impact Of Probiotics On Gut Microbiota
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Reset To Pristine State
- Meet Graphene's Sexy New Cousin Germanene
- Usurped By Legend: A Review Of Matthew Gavin Frank’s ‘Preparing The Ghost’
- Captured: The Sound Of An Atom
- Environmental Scientists Make The Environmental Case For Fracking
- " I remember as a boy, about ten years after the war, we were told to be as vigilant against..."
- "Perhaps if the term science fiction weren't already taken for a genre that might be more accurately..."
- "Students would be given vouchers for their textbooks instead of money in the bank, to ensure they..."
- "I know, the realities of the truth to any idealist is akin to holy water to a vampire - or religion..."
- "Yes. Of course. You're right. Nothing innovative is being explored here. The -only- thing they're..."