I am changing my nickname on a few sites I visit - ones where a nickname is useful - to "allhadronic". The name makes reference to the hadronic final state of certain particle decays. Hadron comes from ancient greek and means "strong", and indeed the strong force is the one responsible for the binding of quarks and gluons inside protons, neutrons, and other unstable particles, collectively also called hadrons.
So "all hadronic" means a final state which is entirely made up of hadrons. Such is the case of the most frequent decays of top-antitop quark pairs: 45% of the events where a top pair is produced end up with hadronic jets. Hadronic jets are sprays of light hadrons that are produced when a quark or a gluon is kicked off the interaction point of a energetic collision with a sizable momentum, and it fragments in a stream of particles which are "stable" as far as the strong interaction is concerned. They eventually decay into ordinary particles we are more familiar with, but they can be detected in the tracking systems of collider detector experiments.
I find the nickname quite nice, especially since the "all hadronic" final state of top quark pairs is the first data analysis I took on, at the start of my HEP career. Indeed, my team was the first to observe this difficult final state of top quark pairs, back in 1997, with the CDF detector.
Also, note that "all hadronic" -all strong- is a quite good name when you play in an online chess site as I do, at least compared with my old nickname, "tonno" (= tuna fish!). I liked "tonno" because of its ironic sound - the tuna fish is not the smartest in the sea, as evidenced by its rather sleepy-looking eye... And in chess, a sleepy eye is really a bad quality to possess...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Malnutrition Results From More Than Just Inadequate Diet
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Voluntary Birth Control To Stop Climate Change - Or Else
- "Four paragraphs in I hit delete. I'm just going to wish you the best in all things...."
- "Oh rightio. I should add something about that as background for those who haven't come across the..."
- "Okay. Read it. Liked about half The part I found most startling was the meaning of the phrase,..."
- "I didn't think to add, of course you can also share sterilized distilled water with an ETI - if..."
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."