I am changing my nickname on a few sites I visit - ones where a nickname is useful - to "allhadronic". The name makes reference to the hadronic final state of certain particle decays. Hadron comes from ancient greek and means "strong", and indeed the strong force is the one responsible for the binding of quarks and gluons inside protons, neutrons, and other unstable particles, collectively also called hadrons.
So "all hadronic" means a final state which is entirely made up of hadrons. Such is the case of the most frequent decays of top-antitop quark pairs: 45% of the events where a top pair is produced end up with hadronic jets. Hadronic jets are sprays of light hadrons that are produced when a quark or a gluon is kicked off the interaction point of a energetic collision with a sizable momentum, and it fragments in a stream of particles which are "stable" as far as the strong interaction is concerned. They eventually decay into ordinary particles we are more familiar with, but they can be detected in the tracking systems of collider detector experiments.
I find the nickname quite nice, especially since the "all hadronic" final state of top quark pairs is the first data analysis I took on, at the start of my HEP career. Indeed, my team was the first to observe this difficult final state of top quark pairs, back in 1997, with the CDF detector.
Also, note that "all hadronic" -all strong- is a quite good name when you play in an online chess site as I do, at least compared with my old nickname, "tonno" (= tuna fish!). I liked "tonno" because of its ironic sound - the tuna fish is not the smartest in the sea, as evidenced by its rather sleepy-looking eye... And in chess, a sleepy eye is really a bad quality to possess...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WHO Reports: Obesity Crisis In Europe
- Nuclear Power Isn't Really Zero-emission, But Neither Is Anything Else
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Jelly And Lasers Lead To Discovering New Trigger For Volcanic Eruptions
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- X-linked Gene Mutations Cause Some Cases Of Male Infertility
- "ah yes absolutely right, very clever view on the subject indeed, its for people like you the Nation..."
- "1) N. How could Tommaso know if I read my local paper. 2) N. Chance is minuscule. Never been detected..."
- "Grundy was charged with felony counts of identity theft and using computers to commit a crime...."
- "Anybody who is afraid of radiation just because it is radiation is afraid of nature itself because..."
- "Not to minimize your excellent and very informative article, but I think much of this can be explained..."
- Time is muscle in acute heart failure
- American Indian students disproportionately disciplined compared to white students
- What's the best, most effective way to take notes?
- Phase 2 Clinical Trial of TPX-100 Therapeutic for Knee Osteoarthritis Subject Enrollment Complete
- Memories influence choice of food
Books By Writers Here