5.30 AM. Getting in at CERN through the B entrance I see no living soul. "Ha" -I tell myself- "I have been worrying too much".
5.36 AM. But the people is all here since last night ! There is a huge queue of 180 people already, extending from the doors of the Main Auditorium all the way up the aisle and back down on the other side. Most of the higgs enthusiasts have camped since last night here, and there is even a couple of guys with wide shoulders (but a polite smile) that direct newcomers to the end of the line.
Here are a couple of pictures of the queue as of now: the head of the queue close to the doors of the auditorium,
and another view down the aisle,
5.40 AM. Most of those queueing up are youngsters, but I see also people close to retirement.
5.50 AM. The wireless is failing here. Everybody is killing time by connecting to their facebook pages, apparently, and the bandwidth appears unsuited for the unusual task.
6 AM. I hear that a video with Joe Incandela's presentation, intended for the press, has leaked to blogs. It appears that the amount and quality of leaks has surpassed even my imagination. I have always said that the Higgs discovery would have been announced in anonymous comments in blog posts or by similar illegitimate means, but I did not suspect that the width of these holes in the experiments' privacy would be so large.
6.10 AM I am changing post now, because I would like another one with a better title for the following discussion. You can jump to it at this link.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- DDoS War: How Zombie Fridges Bit The Internet In The a$$ Today.
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Hearing Voices Again? It's More Common Than You Think
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- "NASA rarely comment on stories like this. It's not their mission to debunk doomsday hoaxes. They..."
- "Ok fair point and this is 2 separate questions 1 what do nasa at this moment in time think of nibiru..."
- "Thanks :)..."
- "Okay seems you need a short summary, I gave it just a few comments earlier but here it is again..."
- "The Soviet Luna film reminds me of the Giles cartoon, published on 14 October 1958, the day after..."
- To Avoid Adult Dysfunction Start 'IN UTERO'
- ACSH Medical Director Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians, We're In The Economist, And More
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier