5.30 AM. Getting in at CERN through the B entrance I see no living soul. "Ha" -I tell myself- "I have been worrying too much".
5.36 AM. But the people is all here since last night ! There is a huge queue of 180 people already, extending from the doors of the Main Auditorium all the way up the aisle and back down on the other side. Most of the higgs enthusiasts have camped since last night here, and there is even a couple of guys with wide shoulders (but a polite smile) that direct newcomers to the end of the line.
Here are a couple of pictures of the queue as of now: the head of the queue close to the doors of the auditorium,
and another view down the aisle,
5.40 AM. Most of those queueing up are youngsters, but I see also people close to retirement.
5.50 AM. The wireless is failing here. Everybody is killing time by connecting to their facebook pages, apparently, and the bandwidth appears unsuited for the unusual task.
6 AM. I hear that a video with Joe Incandela's presentation, intended for the press, has leaked to blogs. It appears that the amount and quality of leaks has surpassed even my imagination. I have always said that the Higgs discovery would have been announced in anonymous comments in blog posts or by similar illegitimate means, but I did not suspect that the width of these holes in the experiments' privacy would be so large.
6.10 AM I am changing post now, because I would like another one with a better title for the following discussion. You can jump to it at this link.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Do EU Countries Give Up When They Opt-out Of GMO Crops? And For Whom?
- Coincidence Or Conspiracy? Investigating If Believers Really See So Much Secret Design
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.
- An Easy Problem
- Sex Change Hormonal Treatments Alter Brain Chemistry
- Houston Is A Lot More Tolerant Of Immigrants Than Copenhagen Is
- Prenatal BPA Exposures (Don’t) Affect Birth Weight
- "This is a bit of irony: Mother Jones, which can never be bothered with facts or truth and got sued..."
- "Great piece Steve. While the potential for suffering and death in Africa especially thanks to this..."
- "I look forward to more threats and libel from you in the very near future. It's your stock in trade..."
- "Dear Mr. Campbell: Again you spin and dissemble. It was quite clear from the many tweets between..."
- "One of us does not know what libel means (hint: It is you). Calling me a felon and a fraud is libel..."
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Counter-Point: Activists Operate By Outrage, Not Fear
- Whole Foods Recalls Organic Roquefort Cheeses After Listeria Found
- Suicide Tries Linked to Weight-Loss Surgery? Study Doesn’t Show
- Following Rules, Refreezing Thawed Meat is Safe
- Beetles provide clues about the genetic foundations of parenthood
- Teens value results of genetic tests to inform future life decisions
- Trees to power: McMaster engineers build better energy storage device
- High dose chemo & stem cell transplantation results in long-term survival for amyloid patients
- 'Blind analysis' could reduce bias in social sciences papers