5.30 AM. Getting in at CERN through the B entrance I see no living soul. "Ha" -I tell myself- "I have been worrying too much".
5.36 AM. But the people is all here since last night ! There is a huge queue of 180 people already, extending from the doors of the Main Auditorium all the way up the aisle and back down on the other side. Most of the higgs enthusiasts have camped since last night here, and there is even a couple of guys with wide shoulders (but a polite smile) that direct newcomers to the end of the line.
Here are a couple of pictures of the queue as of now: the head of the queue close to the doors of the auditorium,
and another view down the aisle,
5.40 AM. Most of those queueing up are youngsters, but I see also people close to retirement.
5.50 AM. The wireless is failing here. Everybody is killing time by connecting to their facebook pages, apparently, and the bandwidth appears unsuited for the unusual task.
6 AM. I hear that a video with Joe Incandela's presentation, intended for the press, has leaked to blogs. It appears that the amount and quality of leaks has surpassed even my imagination. I have always said that the Higgs discovery would have been announced in anonymous comments in blog posts or by similar illegitimate means, but I did not suspect that the width of these holes in the experiments' privacy would be so large.
6.10 AM I am changing post now, because I would like another one with a better title for the following discussion. You can jump to it at this link.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Are Dark Matter Scientists About To Prove Its Existence?
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- 36 Million Americans Cook In The Nude
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- "Ciao Giulio - the description on the webpage is a bit of a shorthand in lay terms. In fact the..."
- "Hi Xi Lee,the issue here is to not confuse what is the rate of spurious signals with what is the..."
- "Dear Abraham,the probability is very small for any given wave train, of course. But what the LIGO..."
- "About Poincaré and Einstein I wrote recently a little article in German language: http://www.soso..."
- "PSI? LOL, you’re killing me. I find it ironic that a person with the moniker PhotoDady doesn’t..."
- Fluorine: The Element From Hell
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- AAAS 2016 -- Food security: Building resilience into the world's food system
- New appreciation for human microbiome leads to greater understanding of human health
- Exeter's world-leading climate change research showcased in prestigious science event
- Speech disorder called apraxia can progress to neurodegenerative disease
- Market integration could help offset climate-related food insecurity