5.30 AM. Getting in at CERN through the B entrance I see no living soul. "Ha" -I tell myself- "I have been worrying too much".
5.36 AM. But the people is all here since last night ! There is a huge queue of 180 people already, extending from the doors of the Main Auditorium all the way up the aisle and back down on the other side. Most of the higgs enthusiasts have camped since last night here, and there is even a couple of guys with wide shoulders (but a polite smile) that direct newcomers to the end of the line.
Here are a couple of pictures of the queue as of now: the head of the queue close to the doors of the auditorium,
and another view down the aisle,
5.40 AM. Most of those queueing up are youngsters, but I see also people close to retirement.
5.50 AM. The wireless is failing here. Everybody is killing time by connecting to their facebook pages, apparently, and the bandwidth appears unsuited for the unusual task.
6 AM. I hear that a video with Joe Incandela's presentation, intended for the press, has leaked to blogs. It appears that the amount and quality of leaks has surpassed even my imagination. I have always said that the Higgs discovery would have been announced in anonymous comments in blog posts or by similar illegitimate means, but I did not suspect that the width of these holes in the experiments' privacy would be so large.
6.10 AM I am changing post now, because I would like another one with a better title for the following discussion. You can jump to it at this link.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- More Electricity In Developing Nations Had Little Impact On Climate Change
- Amenhotep III: Ancient Egyptian Mummies Didn't Have Spinal Arthritis
- From Mindless Physics To Physics Of Mind
- The Resource Curse: Science Cities Suffer
- #GAMERGATE Style Harassment Does Not Happen in the Male Dominated Sciences
- Ebola Transmission Via Public Transport
- Antibiotics Of The Future
- "Nice bit of news for us all:Ebola crisis: Nigeria set to be declared free of virusRead about the..."
- "But it never stands still, how is that boring. To stagnate within a belief like religion that does..."
- "I was hard wired as in raised JW. We switched at the death of 2 of my sisters, when flowers were..."
- "“All I've ever done is defend a fellow scientist who wrote a book and was harassed for it, which..."
- "That's very interesting indeed I'd like to read it, where might I find the learned reference stating..."
- Natural Resources Defense Council sues EPA to block rollout of Dow Enlist Duo GMO system
- Enviros file suit to block new Dow AgroSciences GMO herbicide and seeds
- Couples can protect children from devastating mutations with new IVF methods
- Food 2.0: Will farmers be able to meet the ecological challenges ahead?
- General Mills’ Cascadian Farm launches ‘bee-friendly’ campaign, GMO critics unimpressed
- Can genes pass from genetically modified food into our blood, posing dangers?
- Heart rate may predict survival and brain function in comatose cardiac arrest survivors
- Study shows medication is frequently, unintentionally given incorrectly to young children
- Mummy remains refute antiquity of ankylosing spondylitis
- Scientists say national Alzheimer's plan milestones must be strengthened to meet goal by 2025
- Head injury causes the immune system to attack the brain