The Super-CDMS dark-matter search has released two days ago the results from the analysis of nine months of data taking. The experiment has excellent sensitivity to weak interacting massive particles producing inelastic scattering with the Germanium in the detector.
The detector is composed of fifteen cylindrical 0.6 kg crystals stacked in groups of three, equipped with ionization and phonon detectors that are capable of measuring the energy of the signals. From that the recoil energy can be derived, and a rough estimate of WIMP candidates mass. The towers are kept at close to absolute zero temperature in the Soudan mine, where backgrounds from cosmic rays and other sources are very small.
The search revealed a total of 11 phonon candidates, when 6.1+1.1-0.8 were expected from the considered background sources. This is only a mild excess, that happens by chance more than once in twenty trials (p=0.065). However, one of the seven considered detectors saw 3 energetic events, while its background prediction was of only 0.13+0.06-0.04 events. According to the CDMS paper this corresponds to a 4x10^-4 probability (I calculate 0.00054). That's a 3.4 standard deviations effect, but do not get excited...
In fact, the paper is careful to point out that the excess (three high-energy events) concentrates in the only detector which "has a ionization guard electrode shorted to ground". They suggest that their background prediction was therefore possibly incorrect.
The graph above shows the detected energy of the 11 candidates, compared with a model of possible signals from WIMPS of masses between 5 and 15 GeV. The three events detected by the "shorted" detector are in yellow.
The interim conclusions of the search (which is ongoing) are that a number of tentative signals observed by other experiments are strongly disfavoured; these include CoGeNT and CDMS II.
For more information please see the preprint.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- President Elect Trump - Why Climate Change Is No Longer A Political Issue Outside The US
- Australopithecus Afarensis: ‘Lucy’ Was A Tree Climber?
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- Anomaly! Book Presentation At CERN On November 29
- "http://www.snopes.com/photos/supernatural/strangesounds.asp#! People have been 'hearing' things..."
- "About the article on theLADbible, the author have an overall sarcastic tone. For example, he calls..."
- "What about these new trumpet sounds that everyone is hearing?..."
- "There is nothing to worry about. It is all complete nonsense and BS. An astronomer would just LOL..."
- "So there really is nothing to worry about then i don't want to be told there isn't if there is..."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland