The Super-CDMS dark-matter search has released two days ago the results from the analysis of nine months of data taking. The experiment has excellent sensitivity to weak interacting massive particles producing inelastic scattering with the Germanium in the detector.
The detector is composed of fifteen cylindrical 0.6 kg crystals stacked in groups of three, equipped with ionization and phonon detectors that are capable of measuring the energy of the signals. From that the recoil energy can be derived, and a rough estimate of WIMP candidates mass. The towers are kept at close to absolute zero temperature in the Soudan mine, where backgrounds from cosmic rays and other sources are very small.
The search revealed a total of 11 phonon candidates, when 6.1+1.1-0.8 were expected from the considered background sources. This is only a mild excess, that happens by chance more than once in twenty trials (p=0.065). However, one of the seven considered detectors saw 3 energetic events, while its background prediction was of only 0.13+0.06-0.04 events. According to the CDMS paper this corresponds to a 4x10^-4 probability (I calculate 0.00054). That's a 3.4 standard deviations effect, but do not get excited...
In fact, the paper is careful to point out that the excess (three high-energy events) concentrates in the only detector which "has a ionization guard electrode shorted to ground". They suggest that their background prediction was therefore possibly incorrect.
The graph above shows the detected energy of the 11 candidates, compared with a model of possible signals from WIMPS of masses between 5 and 15 GeV. The three events detected by the "shorted" detector are in yellow.
The interim conclusions of the search (which is ongoing) are that a number of tentative signals observed by other experiments are strongly disfavoured; these include CoGeNT and CDMS II.
For more information please see the preprint.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Journalists Be Aware - Your Unverified "Doomsday" News Terrifies Children And Vulnerable People
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the ass today.
- An Astronaut Gardener On The Moon - Summits Of Sunlight And Vast Lunar Caves In Low Gravity
- Another Stone On The Diphotonium Grave
- Soil Moisture Could Help Predict 'Flash Droughts'
- "NIBIRU HERE NIBIRU THERE NIBIRU BEING SPOTTED EVERYWHERE now tell me im wrong in fact i will go..."
- "Ok so what about the JESSE VENTURE person you ever heard of him like i said its called conspiracy..."
- "Hallelujah, HEP is saved!..."
- "Yes, some of them Nancy Lieder doesn't have a clue about astronomy, she claims the most absurd..."
- "Any of these names mean anything to you Zechariah stitchin,nancy lieder,gill boussard,steve olsen..."
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?
- Scientists Should Fight Postmodern Public Values
- Stupid Health Scare For Hep C Drugs