The Super-CDMS dark-matter search has released two days ago the results from the analysis of nine months of data taking. The experiment has excellent sensitivity to weak interacting massive particles producing inelastic scattering with the Germanium in the detector.
The detector is composed of fifteen cylindrical 0.6 kg crystals stacked in groups of three, equipped with ionization and phonon detectors that are capable of measuring the energy of the signals. From that the recoil energy can be derived, and a rough estimate of WIMP candidates mass. The towers are kept at close to absolute zero temperature in the Soudan mine, where backgrounds from cosmic rays and other sources are very small.
The search revealed a total of 11 phonon candidates, when 6.1+1.1-0.8 were expected from the considered background sources. This is only a mild excess, that happens by chance more than once in twenty trials (p=0.065). However, one of the seven considered detectors saw 3 energetic events, while its background prediction was of only 0.13+0.06-0.04 events. According to the CDMS paper this corresponds to a 4x10^-4 probability (I calculate 0.00054). That's a 3.4 standard deviations effect, but do not get excited...
In fact, the paper is careful to point out that the excess (three high-energy events) concentrates in the only detector which "has a ionization guard electrode shorted to ground". They suggest that their background prediction was therefore possibly incorrect.
The graph above shows the detected energy of the 11 candidates, compared with a model of possible signals from WIMPS of masses between 5 and 15 GeV. The three events detected by the "shorted" detector are in yellow.
The interim conclusions of the search (which is ongoing) are that a number of tentative signals observed by other experiments are strongly disfavoured; these include CoGeNT and CDMS II.
For more information please see the preprint.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Plot Of The Week: CMS Search For Majorana Neutrinos
- Football Physics: The Science Of Deflategate
- Happy 150th Birthday To Maxwell's Theory Of Electromagnetism
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- Think Mosquitoes Bite You More Than Other People? Here's Why You May Be Right
- Planet With Rings Found Outside Solar System - And They Are Bigger Than Saturn
- "The binary argument is nitpicking - the modern sociological contention is that gender is a social..."
- "Ah yes, I see how frequently the term 'old fashioned' is equated to 'wrong'. To the extent that..."
- "Do I hear a note of lamentation in the followings?Lamenting the fact that countries they thought..."
- "Robert:Perhaps a simple expression of their stance may be summed up as: Nothing is really..."
- "Yes, thanks, that answers my question. And I agree with the error bars. Even if no quantitative..."
- You won't tell your manager about your mental health problem, but you'll help a coworker who does
- Gigantic ring system around J1407b much larger, heavier than Saturn's
- Brain study sheds light on how children with autism process social play
- Not just language: Cochlear implant users can hear and feel the beat in music too
- The weather forecast for today is partly wrong with a chance of being right