The Super-CDMS dark-matter search has released two days ago the results from the analysis of nine months of data taking. The experiment has excellent sensitivity to weak interacting massive particles producing inelastic scattering with the Germanium in the detector.
The detector is composed of fifteen cylindrical 0.6 kg crystals stacked in groups of three, equipped with ionization and phonon detectors that are capable of measuring the energy of the signals. From that the recoil energy can be derived, and a rough estimate of WIMP candidates mass. The towers are kept at close to absolute zero temperature in the Soudan mine, where backgrounds from cosmic rays and other sources are very small.
The search revealed a total of 11 phonon candidates, when 6.1+1.1-0.8 were expected from the considered background sources. This is only a mild excess, that happens by chance more than once in twenty trials (p=0.065). However, one of the seven considered detectors saw 3 energetic events, while its background prediction was of only 0.13+0.06-0.04 events. According to the CDMS paper this corresponds to a 4x10^-4 probability (I calculate 0.00054). That's a 3.4 standard deviations effect, but do not get excited...
In fact, the paper is careful to point out that the excess (three high-energy events) concentrates in the only detector which "has a ionization guard electrode shorted to ground". They suggest that their background prediction was therefore possibly incorrect.
The graph above shows the detected energy of the 11 candidates, compared with a model of possible signals from WIMPS of masses between 5 and 15 GeV. The three events detected by the "shorted" detector are in yellow.
The interim conclusions of the search (which is ongoing) are that a number of tentative signals observed by other experiments are strongly disfavoured; these include CoGeNT and CDMS II.
For more information please see the preprint.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- Today's Global Warming Is Nothing Special
- Worldwide, Life Expectancy Has Gone Up Over 6 Years Since 1990
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- Curiosity Detects Spike In Methane, And Other Organic Molecules, On Mars
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- Time To Stop Thinking Of Video Games As Just 'Software'
- "Solution aversion is very real. Talking about solutions which the climate skeptics could live with..."
- "For the avoidance of doubt, as judges are wont to say, it was Buckminster Fuller himself who first..."
- "Thank you for including the Four Myths of Nature. It is very helpful to keep these in mind when..."
- "No, I was meaning the ArcticIndex of /arctic/rediscover/dmi_sea_ice_maps http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/050/mwr..."
- "The big problem they have now in making their statements is credibility - while they can claim..."
- High socioeconomic status increases discrimination, depression risk in black young adults
- Research shows E.B. White was right in Charlotte's Web
- Ability to balance on 1 leg may reflect brain health and stroke risk
- Local enforcement of federal immigration laws affects immigrant Hispanics' healthcare
- Study on world's biggest animal finds more than 1 population in the southeastern Pacific