Thanks to a friend and follower of this blog, which I will not name for once to protect him from your flaming, I can share today with you one of the best instances of involuntary humor in particle physics graphs I have ever seen in my whole life.
The graph appears to be genuine, so this is a good candidate for the IgNobel prize IMHO.
The figure, which was shown at the SUSY 2013 conference in Trieste by Sho Iwamoto, describes how the LHC exclusion region "penetrates" into the opening in SUSY parameter space. The talk actually contains several versions of this figure, but this one, showing some up-right pushing action as the integrated LHC luminosity grows, and highlighting sensitive spots in the parameter space (see e.g. slide 26 at above link), is just too much. No wonder that the audience started giggling as the speaker put it up.
Thank god, physics can be entertaining also to us perverts sometimes ;-)
... Okay, okay - I promise that I will get back to publishing interesting new physics results. I just gave my plenary talk on CMS Overview at the ICNFP 2013 conference in Kolymbari (Crete, Greece) this morning, and as you might imagine I am trying to relax a bit. This was a wonderful occasion for a different kind of post, one I could not avoid taking.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Yellowstone Volcanic System Four Times Bigger Than Thought
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- We Don't Hear Much About The 10,000 French Deaths At Gallipoli
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- Pictures Of March 20th Eclipse From Svalbard
- Poison As Medicine And How Venom Can Sometimes Be A Savior
- Patenting Big Thinking
- "I meant to say my wife mentioned some treatment for whatever that Dr Oz mentioned on his show...."
- "I'm no mental giant, but I picked up on the snake oil salesmanship qualities of Dr Oz years ago..."
- "Hi, good question. This post states that the carbon being used by the bacteria are from 20k years..."
- "Hal- One would think that any sensible person could smell thesnake oil even through their..."
- "Greg- The comment is much appreciated. You are the only person that is dead on. About everything..."