Thanks to a friend and follower of this blog, which I will not name for once to protect him from your flaming, I can share today with you one of the best instances of involuntary humor in particle physics graphs I have ever seen in my whole life.
The graph appears to be genuine, so this is a good candidate for the IgNobel prize IMHO.
The figure, which was shown at the SUSY 2013 conference in Trieste by Sho Iwamoto, describes how the LHC exclusion region "penetrates" into the opening in SUSY parameter space. The talk actually contains several versions of this figure, but this one, showing some up-right pushing action as the integrated LHC luminosity grows, and highlighting sensitive spots in the parameter space (see e.g. slide 26 at above link), is just too much. No wonder that the audience started giggling as the speaker put it up.
Thank god, physics can be entertaining also to us perverts sometimes ;-)
... Okay, okay - I promise that I will get back to publishing interesting new physics results. I just gave my plenary talk on CMS Overview at the ICNFP 2013 conference in Kolymbari (Crete, Greece) this morning, and as you might imagine I am trying to relax a bit. This was a wonderful occasion for a different kind of post, one I could not avoid taking.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Today's Global Warming Is Nothing Special
- Conservation Of Massive: When You Lose Weight, Where Does The Fat Go?
- New Limits On VY Production From CDF: Good, But Also Disappointing
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- To Be Cool Kids, Are We Programmed To Make Bad Decisions?
- Physics is too hard for women, according to female physics students
- Silica-Based Carbon-trapping 'Sponges' Can Cut Greenhouse Gases
- "it took 200,000 years for the climate to return to normal Define normal...."
- "Another article today reports that electricity, in New England, has jumped to 24 cents/ KWHr. A..."
- "In this Youtube a stray dog called Monte the dog drives a car completely by himself, on a..."
- "You can't write an article like this! It's not allowed! People are stupid and can't handle the..."
- 'Perfect storm' quenching star formation around a supermassive black hole
- Journal of Astronomical Telescopes, Instruments, and Systems launch creates new forum
- NASA satellites measure increase of Sun's energy absorbed in the Arctic
- Policy action urgently needed to protect Hawaii's dolphins
- New conversion process turns biomass 'waste' into lucrative chemical products