Thanks to a friend and follower of this blog, which I will not name for once to protect him from your flaming, I can share today with you one of the best instances of involuntary humor in particle physics graphs I have ever seen in my whole life.
The graph appears to be genuine, so this is a good candidate for the IgNobel prize IMHO.
The figure, which was shown at the SUSY 2013 conference in Trieste by Sho Iwamoto, describes how the LHC exclusion region "penetrates" into the opening in SUSY parameter space. The talk actually contains several versions of this figure, but this one, showing some up-right pushing action as the integrated LHC luminosity grows, and highlighting sensitive spots in the parameter space (see e.g. slide 26 at above link), is just too much. No wonder that the audience started giggling as the speaker put it up.
Thank god, physics can be entertaining also to us perverts sometimes ;-)
... Okay, okay - I promise that I will get back to publishing interesting new physics results. I just gave my plenary talk on CMS Overview at the ICNFP 2013 conference in Kolymbari (Crete, Greece) this morning, and as you might imagine I am trying to relax a bit. This was a wonderful occasion for a different kind of post, one I could not avoid taking.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Do EU Countries Give Up When They Opt-out Of GMO Crops? And For Whom?
- An Easy Problem
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.
- Thank You Guido
- September 24th, 2015 - Just Another Day In Space - Asteroid Flybys, "Blood Moons" And Armageddon Demystified
- Prenatal BPA Exposures (Don’t) Affect Birth Weight
- Machine learning vs NRA, a Grand Challenge
- "This is a bit of irony: Mother Jones, which can never be bothered with facts or truth and got sued..."
- "Great piece Steve. While the potential for suffering and death in Africa especially thanks to this..."
- "I look forward to more threats and libel from you in the very near future. It's your stock in trade..."
- "Dear Mr. Campbell: Again you spin and dissemble. It was quite clear from the many tweets between..."
- "One of us does not know what libel means (hint: It is you). Calling me a felon and a fraud is libel..."
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Counter-Point: Activists Operate By Outrage, Not Fear
- Whole Foods Recalls Organic Roquefort Cheeses After Listeria Found
- Suicide Tries Linked to Weight-Loss Surgery? Study Doesn’t Show
- Following Rules, Refreezing Thawed Meat is Safe
- Beetles provide clues about the genetic foundations of parenthood
- Trees to power: McMaster engineers build better energy storage device
- High dose chemo & stem cell transplantation results in long-term survival for amyloid patients
- 'Blind analysis' could reduce bias in social sciences papers
- Adoption of streamlined breast cancer treatment has stagnated, study finds