I feel quite grateful to the DZERO collaboration for publishing today in the Cornell arxiv the preprint of their search for neutral MSSM Higgs bosons in the tau-pair decay mode. Not more than 12 hours ago in fact I had been looking for a suitable figure which could summarize the status of searches for those particles, to help a student who is about to graduate; but had not found anything satisfactory.
Now DZERO throws no less than 7.3 inverse femtobarns of collisions at this important search. I guess this is the swan song for this particular analysis at the Tevatron, because the LHC experiments have already surpassed the sensitivity of their American competitors, with one two-hundredth (!) of the available statistics.
But let me not get ahead of myself. Before I show the result, let me first discuss one meaningful figure from the article, showing the output of a global likelihood discriminant capable of nicely distinguish the decays of Higgs bosons to tau lepton pairs from all the concurring backgrounds. The figure on the right considers the case of a Higgs mass of 180 GeV, where the discrimination from Z decays (in red) is easy but the one from top decays (in purple) is harder. As you can see, a MSSM signal (for higgs mass of 180 GeV, shown in hatched light blue) would appear as a significant enhancement at high values of the discriminant D_f. This particular value of parameter space points is in fact excluded by the DZERO analysis; it refers to a value close to the boundary of the DZERO sensitivity curve (tan(beta)=40).
And now let us look at the results, shown in the graph below. The figure describes the relevant region of the MSSM parameter space (in a particular choice of some of the additional parameters, a configuration called "m_h max" which grants the maximum possible value to the lowest-mass neutral scalar) as a function of two crucial parameters: the value of tan(beta) and the mass of the CP-odd A boson.
In the graph you can see the region excluded by the new DZERO search in blue: the region which the DZERO data disfavors is the one at high tan(beta), where the coupling of the Higgs to down-type fermions would have allowed large production rates and decays to tau pairs. As you notice, the limit resulting from the search performed by CMS with just 36 inverse femtobarns (duly reported in the figure with a dashed red line) is more stringent, except in a small region for intermediate Higgs masses.
If one wished to argue more in detail about the sensitivity of the two experiments, one should in truth take the dashed curves, which show the expected limits (i.e., the median range of the exclusion limit that the experiments would expect to set with the available data and the analyses used). In this case one could still argue that at low mass the DZERO search is still superior to the CMS one; but of course, given that the CERN experiments are already sitting on thirty times more data than that reported in the graph, there is no question that this is now exclusively a LHC business. I look forward to the next ATLAS and CMS results for summer conferences, where the breathing space for the MSSM in the Higgs sector is going to become really uncomfortable. Of course: the MSSM is a beautiful, wrong construct, if you ask me.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Tidal Disruption Event: Black Hole Eats Star, Beams Signal To Earth
- Dear California: Why Is Farming Science A Bad Thing Again?
- Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Valid For African-Americans, Says Sociologist
- 5 Laws About Corpses That May Spook You
- 9,000 Years: Origin Of Farmed Rice Gets Pushed Back
- Dengue Virus Exposure May Amplify Zika Infection
- "I've known a few people with fake celiacs and I've known a few real celiacs. You can find a lot..."
- "This is an interesting set of lecture notes by Cranmer from TASI, https://sites.google.com/a/colorado..."
- "Criminal - Clinton Pathological Liar - Clinton Narcissist Egomaniac - Trump - Clinton Lied when..."
- "The only sensible numbers are zero, one, and infinity. Government works the same way. Zero - true..."
- "Hi John,I'll let your comment live out of respect for the effort you put in writing it, but I disagree..."
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- Mr. Potato Head Needs a New Warning Label!
- Shark Finning is Banned in the US; Banning Trade in Fins May Be Next
- Move Over Zika, It’s Yellow Fever’s Turn
- Should I stay or should I go?
- New cancer immunotherapy drugs linked to arthritis in some patients
- Simulations foresee hordes of colliding black holes in LIGO's future
- Analysis of genetic repeats suggests role for DNA instability in schizophrenia
- Analysis of media reporting reveals new information about snakebites and how and when they occur