My statistics page depressingly shows that a large fraction of readers who visit this site do so for an average of 30 seconds. Maybe they were looking for something different, or maybe they do not like the content offered here. In any case, I have decided that my long, detailed articles about particle physics are not exactly meeting the demand of the audience. I am not going to change my writing style because of that, of course, but I will try to also offer some thirty-seconds physics bits here, every once in a while. So let me make a dry run, using a recent result by the CDF collaboration. The clock may start.
Upsilon mesons are fancy subatomic particles composed of two b-quarks tightly orbiting each other. Three such states, of different mass, can be copiously produced by the Tevatron proton-antiproton collisions and efficiently detected by the CDF experiment when they decay. Here is how they look like, once their mass is reconstructed from the energy of the two muons they yield when they decay:
CDF used the decays of the (1S) resonance to measure its polarization -a quantity describing the angle between the direction of the particle motion and spin. The polarization is reduced to a number alpha variable between -1 and 1, which is shown in the vertical axis in the figure below, while the horizontal axis shows the transverse momentum of the produced particles. Also shown is the determination of the polarization obtained by the competitor of CDF, D0. The two results are utterly inconsistent!
What is even more interesting is that theoretical predictions (from a non-relativistic QCD model) disagree with both results: below you can see the comparison of CDF data with theory. From 8 to 17 GeV there is agreement with CDF and disagreement with D0, above 17 GeV the opposite occurs.
Ok, you can stop the clock. More than thirty seconds, huh ? Well, I took some liberty here, since I think these results are really interesting! For more information, please visit the web site of the CDF Y polarization analysis.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- Journalists - Please Fact Check Your "Doomsday" News Stories -They Terrify Young Children And Vulnerable People
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the a$$ today.
- A Racist On The Jews: Let The Donald Trump!
- Metaphors in Quantum Mechanics
- "Politely speaking; Vongehr's model must be premised on asexual reproduction. In the real world..."
- "/* Hallelujah, HEP is saved! */ Are we doing research for saving some branch of physics? The science..."
- "Right, actually praying for something not to happen just focuses your mind on it - it doesn't tend..."
- "It's nonsense. He gives no sources and no astronomical reasoning at all. He makes it a matter of..."
- "Ive got a baby mr walker that i love with all my heart and this just petrifies me i keep getting..."
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?