A powerful earthquake has struck an hour ago, at 8.30UT, very close to the place where a similar event occurred on December 26th 2004. The earthquake has an estimated magnitude of 8.7 and occurred at a depth of 33km, according to NOAA. The map below shows the location of the event and the potentially affected areas.
Note that the wave is expected to arrive to Sumatra right now, at the time of writing this. It is not granted that an earthquake, even a powerful one such as the present one, will generate a train of tsunami waves; however it is quite likely that this is what is occurring. The extent of the potential destruction cannot be estimated, but it is advisable to move to higher areas if you find yourself in the coastal region of Sumatra or anywhere on the coasts of Indian ocean.
The December 26th 2004 tsunami hit very hard the region, with over 230,000 casualties according to wikipedia. More recently, another powerful earthquake off the coast of Japan also created massive destruction. I sincerely hope it is not happening again...
UPDATE: It appears that the danger of a catastrophe similar to that of 2004 is over. However, a watch is in progress through much of the Indian Ocean, in 28 countries; people have been asked by authorities to move away from coasts in an extended area. The Andamans and Nicobars islands have been put on special alert.
The magnitude of the earthquake has been now assessed at 8.6 of the Richter scale; an aftershock of magnitude 6.5 has later been registered.
You can follow the events live on NDTV here.
UPDATE: Good news ! It now appears that the earthquake has generated no big waves in the area. The alert is still on, but no anomalous waves have been observed in any of the regions around the earthquake epicenter.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "This is a bit of irony: Mother Jones, which can never be bothered with facts or truth and got sued..."
- "Great piece Steve. While the potential for suffering and death in Africa especially thanks to this..."
- "I look forward to more threats and libel from you in the very near future. It's your stock in trade..."
- "Dear Mr. Campbell: Again you spin and dissemble. It was quite clear from the many tweets between..."
- "One of us does not know what libel means (hint: It is you). Calling me a felon and a fraud is libel..."
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Counter-Point: Activists Operate By Outrage, Not Fear
- Whole Foods Recalls Organic Roquefort Cheeses After Listeria Found
- Suicide Tries Linked to Weight-Loss Surgery? Study Doesn’t Show
- Following Rules, Refreezing Thawed Meat is Safe
- Beetles provide clues about the genetic foundations of parenthood
- Teens value results of genetic tests to inform future life decisions
- Trees to power: McMaster engineers build better energy storage device
- High dose chemo & stem cell transplantation results in long-term survival for amyloid patients
- 'Blind analysis' could reduce bias in social sciences papers