A powerful earthquake has struck an hour ago, at 8.30UT, very close to the place where a similar event occurred on December 26th 2004. The earthquake has an estimated magnitude of 8.7 and occurred at a depth of 33km, according to NOAA. The map below shows the location of the event and the potentially affected areas.
Note that the wave is expected to arrive to Sumatra right now, at the time of writing this. It is not granted that an earthquake, even a powerful one such as the present one, will generate a train of tsunami waves; however it is quite likely that this is what is occurring. The extent of the potential destruction cannot be estimated, but it is advisable to move to higher areas if you find yourself in the coastal region of Sumatra or anywhere on the coasts of Indian ocean.
The December 26th 2004 tsunami hit very hard the region, with over 230,000 casualties according to wikipedia. More recently, another powerful earthquake off the coast of Japan also created massive destruction. I sincerely hope it is not happening again...
UPDATE: It appears that the danger of a catastrophe similar to that of 2004 is over. However, a watch is in progress through much of the Indian Ocean, in 28 countries; people have been asked by authorities to move away from coasts in an extended area. The Andamans and Nicobars islands have been put on special alert.
The magnitude of the earthquake has been now assessed at 8.6 of the Richter scale; an aftershock of magnitude 6.5 has later been registered.
You can follow the events live on NDTV here.
UPDATE: Good news ! It now appears that the earthquake has generated no big waves in the area. The alert is still on, but no anomalous waves have been observed in any of the regions around the earthquake epicenter.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- "Potentially you could have a test tube sort of structure almost to the surface where a liquid is..."
- "A single cryptic link to this by John Derbyshire on why educrats cannot handle black affirmative..."
- " I'm gonna call you out on a source for that. I haven't heard anything about this. I've read nonsense..."
- "On government bunkers, forgot to answer. Not my special subject :). But in the cold war there was..."
- "The reason I needed to do an article is because so many of you are so scared by it. I wouldn't..."
- Reduced blood flow seen in brain after clinical recovery of acute concussion
- MRI reveals weight loss protects knees
- Imaging identifies cartilage regeneration in long-distance runners
- Medicaid expansion improves breast cancer screening for low-income women
- Parental absence affects brain development in children