A powerful earthquake has struck an hour ago, at 8.30UT, very close to the place where a similar event occurred on December 26th 2004. The earthquake has an estimated magnitude of 8.7 and occurred at a depth of 33km, according to NOAA. The map below shows the location of the event and the potentially affected areas.
Note that the wave is expected to arrive to Sumatra right now, at the time of writing this. It is not granted that an earthquake, even a powerful one such as the present one, will generate a train of tsunami waves; however it is quite likely that this is what is occurring. The extent of the potential destruction cannot be estimated, but it is advisable to move to higher areas if you find yourself in the coastal region of Sumatra or anywhere on the coasts of Indian ocean.
The December 26th 2004 tsunami hit very hard the region, with over 230,000 casualties according to wikipedia. More recently, another powerful earthquake off the coast of Japan also created massive destruction. I sincerely hope it is not happening again...
UPDATE: It appears that the danger of a catastrophe similar to that of 2004 is over. However, a watch is in progress through much of the Indian Ocean, in 28 countries; people have been asked by authorities to move away from coasts in an extended area. The Andamans and Nicobars islands have been put on special alert.
The magnitude of the earthquake has been now assessed at 8.6 of the Richter scale; an aftershock of magnitude 6.5 has later been registered.
You can follow the events live on NDTV here.
UPDATE: Good news ! It now appears that the earthquake has generated no big waves in the area. The alert is still on, but no anomalous waves have been observed in any of the regions around the earthquake epicenter.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Robot Tongue Identifies The Correct Beer Every Time
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Illegal Immigration To The U.S. Caused By Globalization?
- Brain-Computer Interface Makes Communication For Kids With Cerebral Palsy Easier
- Numenta And IBM To Build Biologically Inspired Intelligent Machines.
- Satellites Catch Birth Of Two Volcanic Islands In Yemen
- Editorial Independence Or Extortion? Frontiers Sacks 31 Editors
- "Is there any chance this would work on bedbugs? They may not normally carry lethal infections..."
- "This is supported by the following study, which itself begged the question of From whence came..."
- "Hi MB,Sorry but I can't help you - I do not think there is an official schedule with this level..."
- "Isn't it odd that these fringe science / medical theories are so often championed by practitioners..."
- "Would you please email your email address to me: email@example.com (I think?) I sent..."
- Young Muslim thrillseekers won't find Paradise in Syria
- SanDisk says new SSDs will be price competitive against legacy hard drives
- State regulations for tanning beds not enough: A national regulatory framework is needed
- Hallucinations and delusions more common than thought
- Are antidepressants more effective than assumed?