Thanks to Sven Heinemeyer and his colleagues, we can give a peek today at the status of the agreement of top and W boson masses with Standard Model predictions for the Higgs boson mass, and with SUSY predictions as well. The figure below is just one of the many versions he has produced.
Maybe I should not say "SUSY predictions", as it is clear, by inspecting the figure above, that the green band is quite wide, a result of the many free parameters whose value have an impact in determining the mass of the lightest Higgs scalar.
In any case, the graph represents an impressive picture of self-consistency of the Standard Model with the experimentally allowed values of the Higgs boson (the blue band).
We used to talk of an existing "tension" between radiative correction fits and existing bounds for the Higgs (which have remained those of LEP II for almost a decade before the first Tevatron exclusions and then the LHC exclusions pitched in), but it is clear that much of that tension has faded away: everything is consistent with a Higgs boson of mass in the 125 GeV ballpark.
So, will it be a SUSY or a SM Higgs ? You know what I believe, but you are allowed to dream on - SUSY allows you an infinite set of different dreams, in a over-100-dimensional parameter space. But if you are a pragmatic dreamer you might want to wait and check the new CMS and ATLAS results on SUSY bounds - they are going to appear in a couple of weeks, right in time for the last winter conferences. So stay tuned!
UPDATE: in the comments thread below, Sven correctly points to a better version of the figure, see below.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Quantum Teleportation 25 Kilometers Away
- BICEP2's vision wasn't that strong, Planck says their window was too dusty.
- 30 Years Left To Reach The Limit: CO2 Emissions Will Reach New Record High In 2014
- Graphene Sensor Tracks Down Cancer Biomarkers
- Why Natural Gas, Including Fracking, Is Better For The Environment Than Wind And Solar
- Global Carbon Report: Emissions Will Hit New Heights In 2014
- John Ellis On The Ascent Of The Standard Model
- "Sorry to say it PD, but you look very confused to me. The model has been the samesince the late..."
- "Don't believe it. Global warming due to man made activity is bunk. The science does not support it...."
- "No, I have no doubts that your Lagrangian math is sound and all of the equations balance, this..."
- "I suppose when all you can see is political bias, it stands to reason that you would interpret..."
- " Actually that's a pretty good misrepresentation of the studies. Thanks for contributing more nonsense..."
- Mothers of children with autism less likely to have taken iron supplements
- Research evaluates neurodevelomental and medical outcomes in single family room NICU
- E-cigarettes unhelpful in smoking cessation among cancer patients
- UTHealth researchers study impact of smoking ban in homeless shelter
- Teens' neural response to food commercials predicts future weight gain