Thanks to Sven Heinemeyer and his colleagues, we can give a peek today at the status of the agreement of top and W boson masses with Standard Model predictions for the Higgs boson mass, and with SUSY predictions as well. The figure below is just one of the many versions he has produced.
Maybe I should not say "SUSY predictions", as it is clear, by inspecting the figure above, that the green band is quite wide, a result of the many free parameters whose value have an impact in determining the mass of the lightest Higgs scalar.
In any case, the graph represents an impressive picture of self-consistency of the Standard Model with the experimentally allowed values of the Higgs boson (the blue band).
We used to talk of an existing "tension" between radiative correction fits and existing bounds for the Higgs (which have remained those of LEP II for almost a decade before the first Tevatron exclusions and then the LHC exclusions pitched in), but it is clear that much of that tension has faded away: everything is consistent with a Higgs boson of mass in the 125 GeV ballpark.
So, will it be a SUSY or a SM Higgs ? You know what I believe, but you are allowed to dream on - SUSY allows you an infinite set of different dreams, in a over-100-dimensional parameter space. But if you are a pragmatic dreamer you might want to wait and check the new CMS and ATLAS results on SUSY bounds - they are going to appear in a couple of weeks, right in time for the last winter conferences. So stay tuned!
UPDATE: in the comments thread below, Sven correctly points to a better version of the figure, see below.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Common Sense and Cosmology
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- Trauma In A Bee
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Finding Sheds Light On What May Kill Neurons After Stroke
- Exposure To Tobacco Smoke In The Home Increases Childhood Illnesses, Health Care Demand
- One In Six Children Hospitalized For Lung Inflammation Positive For Marijuana Exposure
- "A simple question: is the structure of vacuum, as we see it the laboratory, the same as in empty..."
- "See also my science 2.0 article:Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universehttp..."
- "<!--[if gte mso 9]> 800x600 <![endif]--> High energy Big Bang is the initial Unification scale..."
- "Right, and the other 5 had tobacco residue...."
- "I have space-time numbers. I don't have a metric space which, yes, requires a metric tensor for..."
- Parents' presence at bedside found to decrease neonatal abstinence syndrome severity
- Breastfeeding app shows promise in supporting first-time mothers
- Study shows asthma-related Twitter posts can predict rise in hospital visits
- Mental health diagnoses rise significantly for military children
- Combination of face-to-face and online bullying may pack a powerful punch