Just being in the presence of attractive women make men do stupid things- or at least take more risks, according to a study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science.
According to researchers, testosterone levels increased in men when attractive women were present. Since testosterone is a sex hormone, and has also been shown to play a role in fight-or-flight responses and risk-taking behaviors, this result is not surprising. Is anyone shocked to find that men subconsciously try and "be more manly" in front of pretty females? I filed this study away with the other blatantly obvious papers under the heading "Well, no kidding."
In fact, this little animation that came out on the web last year titled, "What Would Penis Do?" sums all of this up very nicely. To save myself some time explaining it with text, I will instead embed the video, and let the narrator tell the eloquent story about man's battle between the heart, the mind, and the penis.
*note* Viewer discretion is advised. This video is PG-13, so take caution before clicking if you think you might be offended.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Microevolutionary Evidence: The Eyes Have It
- Asymptomatic People Transmit Dengue Virus To Mosquitoes
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Human Have Been Using Beeswax For 8,000 Years
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- Brains With Autism Adapt Differently During Implicit Learning
- Gravity, Who Needs It? We Do, And 4 Other Things For Long-Distance Space Travel Too
- "A single cryptic link to this by John Derbyshire on why educrats cannot handle black affirmative..."
- " I'm gonna call you out on a source for that. I haven't heard anything about this. I've read nonsense..."
- "On government bunkers, forgot to answer. Not my special subject :). But in the cold war there was..."
- "The reason I needed to do an article is because so many of you are so scared by it. I wouldn't..."
- "You have nothing to worry about or scared about by way of mythical bullshit planets :). I don't..."
- Reduced blood flow seen in brain after clinical recovery of acute concussion
- MRI reveals weight loss protects knees
- Imaging identifies cartilage regeneration in long-distance runners
- Medicaid expansion improves breast cancer screening for low-income women
- Parental absence affects brain development in children