Just being in the presence of attractive women make men do stupid things- or at least take more risks, according to a study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science.
According to researchers, testosterone levels increased in men when attractive women were present. Since testosterone is a sex hormone, and has also been shown to play a role in fight-or-flight responses and risk-taking behaviors, this result is not surprising. Is anyone shocked to find that men subconsciously try and "be more manly" in front of pretty females? I filed this study away with the other blatantly obvious papers under the heading "Well, no kidding."
In fact, this little animation that came out on the web last year titled, "What Would Penis Do?" sums all of this up very nicely. To save myself some time explaining it with text, I will instead embed the video, and let the narrator tell the eloquent story about man's battle between the heart, the mind, and the penis.
*note* Viewer discretion is advised. This video is PG-13, so take caution before clicking if you think you might be offended.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- What If We Can 'Pre-Diagnose' Autism In Babies?
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- "Thanks, I've fixed it now, and also used your diagram, thanks! Hopefully it is okay now. Do say..."
- ">comes from conversion of energy to mass.... This idea seems plausible; the neutrino resting mass..."
- "The argument here reminds me of those of British scientist David Nutt, in 2009 dismissed from his..."
- "I am also curious to know in which country. Anyway, I suspect that there is a difference between..."
- "Oh, sorry didn't realize what you were saying. I haven't read it either, have just ordered it ..."
- Excessive or inadequate? Confusion about medication is common
- Breast cancer in young women is rarer than media make it seem
- GE crops could save the environment, if Organic advocates let them
- No excuses to be against science now: Monsanto patent expires
- The Pendulum Swings: Prescribing Hormone Replacement Therapy 13 Years After the Women’s Health Initiative Study
- The search for new blood donors ends at the living – but why?