Just being in the presence of attractive women make men do stupid things- or at least take more risks, according to a study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science.
According to researchers, testosterone levels increased in men when attractive women were present. Since testosterone is a sex hormone, and has also been shown to play a role in fight-or-flight responses and risk-taking behaviors, this result is not surprising. Is anyone shocked to find that men subconsciously try and "be more manly" in front of pretty females? I filed this study away with the other blatantly obvious papers under the heading "Well, no kidding."
In fact, this little animation that came out on the web last year titled, "What Would Penis Do?" sums all of this up very nicely. To save myself some time explaining it with text, I will instead embed the video, and let the narrator tell the eloquent story about man's battle between the heart, the mind, and the penis.
*note* Viewer discretion is advised. This video is PG-13, so take caution before clicking if you think you might be offended.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Does Your Gut Microbiome Have To Do With Your Immune System?
- What Antidepressants Do To Healthy People
- Do Anesthetics Have Long-Term Impact On Child Brains?
- Buy New Textbooks Again? Pluto May Go Back To Planet Status
- Rats Know How To Repay Kindness
- Not Just Vitamin D - The Radiation In Sunshine May Be Healthy
- Silicone On Trial: Bastardization Of Justice
- "I was particularly taken with the Venera missions, sending probes into such a hostile environment..."
- "Maybe the Russian Revolution isn't such a good example. The Bolsheviks had something even more..."
- "As to self-incrimination, people cannot invoke the Fifth Amendment now to withhold certain purely..."
- "Face it, news in America took a death blow with the 2002-2003 war media love fest, The layman can't..."
- "Some interesting research out of Sweden noted that the composition of the microbiome greatly affects..."