Given I'm a mad scientist building a satellite in my basement, who are my heroes? Are they Carl Sagan, astronomer populist extraordinaire? Neil Tyson, a dynamic yet media-saavy heir to Sagan? Newton, inventor of the apple?
If I had to pick 3, I'd say Fiorella Terenzi, Tony Zuppero, and Edward Stratemeyer.
Zuppero got some noise last year when his free ebook To Inhabit the Solar System got mention in El Register. Zuppero is a mad inventor's mad inventor-- an Aspie with dreams of exploring the solar system in rockets who gets dragged into the US crazy weapons programs.
Terenzi, ah, you can look her up on Wikipedia but basically, how many astronomers not only did early work in sonification, but get to sing on a Thomas Dolby album?
And Stratemeyer, I just learned about through the best way to learn anything-- sarcastic web comics. If you like sci-fi/comics/supreme court crossovers, you'll be enlightened.
Every Tuesday here at The Satellite Diaries , Fridays at the Daytime Astronomer
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Argument: President Trump Needs To Nationalize Health Care To Honor His Campaign Promise
- Why Vegetable Farmers Aren't On Board The No-Till Train
- Two Physics Blogs You Should Not Miss
- Perspectivism, 5 Determinisms And Impossibility Of Defining Free Will, Zen
- Hype Or Health? Sitting Is As Bad For You As Smoking
- BPA In Seafood - Is It Safe?
- Zika Linked To Miscarriages, Thin Brain Tissue In Babies
- "Bonne travail ..."
- "Hello Kevin, many thanks, and also for spotting that! I doubt there will be a second edition..."
- "Hi Tommaso, congratulations on your recent honeymoon! I have an errata in your book. On page 197..."
- "There's a very empirically obvious universal good - survival. Since we are humans, the only logical..."
- "...can YOU explain orbit? If so, you should be able to explain gravity, or black holes. Like I..."
- CDC Suspends Work in Highest Biosafety Labs to Review Air Quality
- The Brussels Declaration - Ethics and Principles for Science and Society
- You're a Terrible, Hypocritical Driver, AAA Confirms
- The Department of Justice Believes United Healthcare Is Defrauding Medicare
- Are YOU Your dog? The Science.
- IWF, We Invaded Texas, And More Places We Promoted Science And Health Last Week