Given I'm a mad scientist building a satellite in my basement, who are my heroes? Are they Carl Sagan, astronomer populist extraordinaire? Neil Tyson, a dynamic yet media-saavy heir to Sagan? Newton, inventor of the apple?
If I had to pick 3, I'd say Fiorella Terenzi, Tony Zuppero, and Edward Stratemeyer.
Zuppero got some noise last year when his free ebook To Inhabit the Solar System got mention in El Register. Zuppero is a mad inventor's mad inventor-- an Aspie with dreams of exploring the solar system in rockets who gets dragged into the US crazy weapons programs.
Terenzi, ah, you can look her up on Wikipedia but basically, how many astronomers not only did early work in sonification, but get to sing on a Thomas Dolby album?
And Stratemeyer, I just learned about through the best way to learn anything-- sarcastic web comics. If you like sci-fi/comics/supreme court crossovers, you'll be enlightened.
Every Tuesday here at The Satellite Diaries , Fridays at the Daytime Astronomer
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Pollution In Toronto's Subways
- A Visit To GSI
- Thiamethoxam: Study Claims Neonicotinoid Causes Erratic Bee Flight
- Pig Study Shows Dairy 'Excellent' Source Of Protein For Human Kids Too
- LHCb Measures Unity, Finds 0.6
- Emotional Feeding Leads To Emotional Eating
- How To Control The Opioid Epidemic In The US
- "P.s: okay lets assume. or Lets say, nasa knows that most of people are going to die due to catastrophic..."
- "LOL The author is a troller. First: he doesn't even take1 % probability that it exist which is..."
- "Sure. I am not sure who you are but we don't throw anyone out. We have some people who probably..."
- "Hey, Hank, Would I be welcomed back to the site, if I asked nicely? Anyway, there are still no..."
- "Thanks for sharing..."
- Powassan: A Tick-Borne Virus That Makes West Nile Seem Like Creamed Spinach
- Workplace Harassment: Bullying Doesn't End After High School
- Tight Jeans? Blame Your Genes
- Hot New Fad: Italian Coffee For Prostate Health?
- Dieters: Should Pictures Posted Online Replace Food Journals?
- Sodium Intake: How Low Should You Go?
- Epigenetics and DNA methylation: Risk of obesity influenced by changes in our genes
- Manipulating water using light
- Sympathetic nervous system: Your brain, not your white blood cells, keeps you warm
- You can't trust EWG about pesticides on fruits and vegetables
- In reading, kindergarten became the new first grade, thanks to No Child Left Behind