I don't drink coffee, and to some degree this has impeded my astronomy career. Coffee is the one social connection even the most isolated theorist engages in. Heck, our wall of 3x3 monitors showing the newest data from our satellites is intentionally built into the coffee room. It is there to spark discussion among the coffee clique.
Don't drink coffee? Fake it with tea. You need a pretense to see your fellow scientists, else you'll be out of the loop.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Almost One In Three US Adults Owns A Gun But Murder Rates Have Plummeted
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- EWG's Little Site Of Horrors
- Head Start In The South Also Helped Create Future Civil Rights Leaders
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- Why Horror Games Give Us The Fright We're Looking For
- The Missing Memristor Has NOT Been Found Published By Nature Group
- "So from 20 times the gun linked murder rate of all other OECD countries down to 19.5 times? Still..."
- "Vegan parents investigated for neglect after baby son found severely malnourished - said they..."
- "Good news on two fronts.Although I get a kick out of insulting people now and then (OK, maybe a..."
- "Ugh, there are three paths I wish I could take this conversation now. History has taught me that..."
- "Ah I figured it out, they dropped the e in the title. Man that was really bothering me trying to..."
- Environmental attorneys and an oceanographer want EPA to declare CO2 a "toxic substance" like asbestos
- So you think you're a foodie
- Nobel Laureates dive into climate politics
- $4,200 and up: Millions of children's lives saved through government programs
- First trial of gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows beneficial effect on lung function