Cephalopod Tea Party is having a cephalopod pin give-away. To be entered in the drawing you must write a cephalopod-themed haiku! Although I probably have more than enough cephalopod tchotchkes, I couldn't resist the writing challenge. Last year I wrote a squid fishing haiku. How to top that?
I've just been reading (in Wendy Williams' Kraken, which I have cracked now that I'm done with Mieville's--maybe I'll do a joint review?) about ammonites. These famously abundant ancestral cephalopods went extinct along with the dinosaurs at end of the Cretaceous, in what's known as the K-T mass extinction.
Another thing ammonites have in common with a lot of the dinosaurs is that they were already in serious decline before the big meteor strike. Thus, a haiku, complete with seasonal reference:
Declined. Cretaceous autumn.
K-T killed their coils.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Pollution In Toronto's Subways
- Thiamethoxam: Study Claims Neonicotinoid Causes Erratic Bee Flight
- Emotional Feeding Leads To Emotional Eating
- LHCb Measures Unity, Finds 0.6
- Kuphus Polythalamia: Giant Sulfur-Powered Shipworm Is The Stuff Of Science Fiction
- Predicting Methane Rise, Using A Hydroxyl Radical Estimate
- Government: There Is More To Science Than Government-Funded Jobs
- "Sure. I am not sure who you are but we don't throw anyone out. We have some people who probably..."
- "Hey, Hank, Would I be welcomed back to the site, if I asked nicely? Anyway, there are still no..."
- "Thanks for sharing..."
- "A lot of it boils down to conspiracy. And I have no reason to doubt astrophysicists and scientists..."
- "Yes, the region of q^2 near threshold (q^2 here is the ee or μμ invariant mass) is sensitive..."
- How Chemistry Implicated Syrian President Bashar al-Assad
- We Are 1 Against 1,000, But We Win Like 1,000 Against 1
- DSHEA Allowed 23 Yrs of Disgraceful Cancer Claims by Supplement Makers
- Gender Disparity in Physician Income; New Straw Man Rises
- DSHEA Has Allowed 23 Years Of Disgraceful Cancer Claims By Supplement Makers
- 2 Skin Cancer 'Blockers' Identified, Researchers Report
- Manipulating water using light
- Sympathetic nervous system: Your brain, not your white blood cells, keeps you warm
- You can't trust EWG about pesticides on fruits and vegetables
- In reading, kindergarten became the new first grade, thanks to No Child Left Behind
- Vitamin D supplements don't prevent cardiovascular disease