Cephalopod Tea Party is having a cephalopod pin give-away. To be entered in the drawing you must write a cephalopod-themed haiku! Although I probably have more than enough cephalopod tchotchkes, I couldn't resist the writing challenge. Last year I wrote a squid fishing haiku. How to top that?
I've just been reading (in Wendy Williams' Kraken, which I have cracked now that I'm done with Mieville's--maybe I'll do a joint review?) about ammonites. These famously abundant ancestral cephalopods went extinct along with the dinosaurs at end of the Cretaceous, in what's known as the K-T mass extinction.
Another thing ammonites have in common with a lot of the dinosaurs is that they were already in serious decline before the big meteor strike. Thus, a haiku, complete with seasonal reference:
Declined. Cretaceous autumn.
K-T killed their coils.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Positively Arguing IQ Determinism And Effect Of Education
- Will Eight On A Plate Catch On? Or Will Weak Observational Claims About Food Fail Again?
- Two Physics Blogs You Should Not Miss
- Why Vegetable Farmers Aren't On Board The No-Till Train
- BPA In Seafood - Is It Safe?
- Argument: President Trump Needs To Nationalize Health Care To Honor His Campaign Promise
- Perspectivism, 5 Determinisms And Impossibility Of Defining Free Will, Zen
- "Eris is the same size as Pluto but in a very elliptical orbit which at its furthest is more than..."
- "Sik7, it depends how far away it is. For instance, I could easily miss an insect in this room,..."
- "Bonne travail ..."
- "Hello Kevin, many thanks, and also for spotting that! I doubt there will be a second edition..."
- "Hi Tommaso, congratulations on your recent honeymoon! I have an errata in your book. On page 197..."
- AMA's Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC) - This Cash Cow Is Not A Scientific Enterprise
- The AMA's Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC) - the AMA's cash cow is not a scientific enterprise
- If We Could Spend Pretend Money, California Regulations Would Drive A US Budget Surplus
- VX Nerve Agent Killed Kim Jong-Nam. How Does It Work?
- It's No Yolk — Eggs Don't Cause Dementia
- How To Turn Puke Into Pineapple