Cephalopod Tea Party is having a cephalopod pin give-away. To be entered in the drawing you must write a cephalopod-themed haiku! Although I probably have more than enough cephalopod tchotchkes, I couldn't resist the writing challenge. Last year I wrote a squid fishing haiku. How to top that?
I've just been reading (in Wendy Williams' Kraken, which I have cracked now that I'm done with Mieville's--maybe I'll do a joint review?) about ammonites. These famously abundant ancestral cephalopods went extinct along with the dinosaurs at end of the Cretaceous, in what's known as the K-T mass extinction.
Another thing ammonites have in common with a lot of the dinosaurs is that they were already in serious decline before the big meteor strike. Thus, a haiku, complete with seasonal reference:
Declined. Cretaceous autumn.
K-T killed their coils.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- Non-Joulian Magnetostriction May Energize The World
- NaSt1 - One-Of-A-Kind 'Nasty' Star
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- "Dear all,thank you for your thoughts. As it often happens, the global common knowledge of a pool..."
- "I would like to point out, it my understanding that Marianne J. Middelveen has never stated she..."
- "Let’s see. Speed of light equal roughly 3 × 105 km per second (or one foot per nanosecond)..."
- "I simply just want to say thank you for this article and those who have commented. I believe what..."
- "There is no solution that has no front-end or back-end cost. We don't do enough basic research..."
- Vaccines developed for H5N1, H7N9 avian influenza strains
- European Medicines Agency recommends full approval of ibrutinib to treat Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia
- In Northern Ireland, sectarianism has become sextarianism
- RegeneRx Phase II Dry Eye Trial results
- How schizophrenia risk gene DISC1 affects the brain