Artist Laura Hines has done a couple of gorgeous illustrations of Humboldt squid.
Humboldt Squid #1 (above) is a rendering of this photograph from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute:
It's a great example of how illustration can improve on photography. The pencil clarifies and emphasizes detail that was obscured by the camera. Lovely work! h/t Squid.us
(Yes yes, I know about the kerfuffle over colossal squid eyes the size of basketballs! I'm not sure what I can add, but I'll try to think of something erudite or at least amusing.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- Not Neonics: Parasites Are Bad For Honey Bees
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Volunteer-Based Peer Review: A Success
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- "Artificial gravity by radial acceleration doesn't need any testing. Every child has tested hurling..."
- "The control hives didn't have nicotine. I wonder if bees in North Carolina have higher susceptibility..."
- "This makes sense before the advent of 'total war' in the 20th century. It was certainly true once..."
- "Oh okay, hard to say, I can see the issue. But - I think just too soon to tell. We haven't tried..."
- "French and American studies indicate that traces of neonicotinoids make bees more susceptible to..."
- More public health interventions required to tackle grim reaper of 'lifestyle' diseases
- Saving ovaries does not help prevent prolapse for women after menopause
- Minimally invasive disc surgery is a pain in the neck
- Brain researchers pinpoint gateway to human memory
- The influence of the Isthmus of Panama in the evolution of freshwater shrimps in America