Artist Laura Hines has done a couple of gorgeous illustrations of Humboldt squid.
Humboldt Squid #1 (above) is a rendering of this photograph from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute:
It's a great example of how illustration can improve on photography. The pencil clarifies and emphasizes detail that was obscured by the camera. Lovely work! h/t Squid.us
(Yes yes, I know about the kerfuffle over colossal squid eyes the size of basketballs! I'm not sure what I can add, but I'll try to think of something erudite or at least amusing.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- The Geology Of Wine
- New Gene Testing Technology Finds Cancer Risks 'hiding In Plain Sight'
- Study Shows How Neurons Decline As Parkinson's Develops
- Machines Can Learn To Respond To New Situations Like Human Beings Would
- "There are even papers considering possible dark energy fields that would couple to the standard..."
- "Dear Hank, the United Nations are just a silly NGO. They are not running my country and they are..."
- "He wasn't kicked out of academia, so you owe him an apology in that sense. With his sensational..."
- "Why not to spare us details, which are commonly known? http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?messageID=54971..."
- "He shouldn't resort to threats either way. I am happy taking on the lawyers for the United Nations..."
- Exposure to particulate air pollutants associated with numerous types of cancer
- Exposure to particulate air pollutants associated with numerous cancers
- Don't retweet if you want to remember
- Theoretical tiger chases statistical sheep to probe immune system behavior
- Metal hip replacements implanted since 2006 more prone to failure