Artist Laura Hines has done a couple of gorgeous illustrations of Humboldt squid.
Humboldt Squid #1 (above) is a rendering of this photograph from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute:
It's a great example of how illustration can improve on photography. The pencil clarifies and emphasizes detail that was obscured by the camera. Lovely work! h/t Squid.us
(Yes yes, I know about the kerfuffle over colossal squid eyes the size of basketballs! I'm not sure what I can add, but I'll try to think of something erudite or at least amusing.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- It's Time For Racism In College Admissions To Go
- Paving Way for Mars Colonization
- For Ph.D. Physicists, Careers Outside Academia Are Terrific
- Sepsis Is Largely Unknown But It Puts One Million People In The Hospital Each Year
- "sorry thought this article was a slur against gay/lesbian. Objection cheerfully withdrawn...."
- "Metabolic Theory of Septic Shock http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4038812/ Core tip..."
- "I do not care one bit about the design of the study. I could run a randomized, interventional controlled..."
- "Figurative language may be important for expression of new physical concepts. As metaphor, the..."
- "I just read the Toronto Star link, and I couldn't help but make some worrying assumptions about..."
Books By Writers Here