Artist Laura Hines has done a couple of gorgeous illustrations of Humboldt squid.
Humboldt Squid #1 (above) is a rendering of this photograph from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute:
It's a great example of how illustration can improve on photography. The pencil clarifies and emphasizes detail that was obscured by the camera. Lovely work! h/t Squid.us
(Yes yes, I know about the kerfuffle over colossal squid eyes the size of basketballs! I'm not sure what I can add, but I'll try to think of something erudite or at least amusing.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Screen For Celiac Disease In High-Rsk Groups Such As Diabetics, Anemics And Down's Syndrome
- A 'New World' In A Grain Of Sand - Most Abundant Silicon Oxide In The Universe Now At Room Temperature
- When People Aren't So Judgey, Women's Sex Drive Rivals Men's
- Turmeric Spice Potential For Oral Cancer - Curcumin Quiets HPV
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- Autonomous Self-Powered Liquid Metal Vehicles: Cue Rise Of The Machines Music
- CRISPR Antivirus Tool - Cas9 Inibits Hepatitis C In Human Cells
- "As different species of fish and other marine life start moving into new areas, I wonder how long..."
- "Most Christians do not believe in Young Earth Creationism. It has been given way too much..."
- "Joe- I would have a much easier time responding to you had you written in English, but I'll do..."
- "Interesting. If he were simply anti-GMO, he could plausibly be a doctor still. Medicine, as a profession..."
- "Ha! Quite nice. There is a lot of wisdom in Di Maggio's words. But I would bet a dime that the..."