Artist Laura Hines has done a couple of gorgeous illustrations of Humboldt squid.
Humboldt Squid #1 (above) is a rendering of this photograph from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute:
It's a great example of how illustration can improve on photography. The pencil clarifies and emphasizes detail that was obscured by the camera. Lovely work! h/t Squid.us
(Yes yes, I know about the kerfuffle over colossal squid eyes the size of basketballs! I'm not sure what I can add, but I'll try to think of something erudite or at least amusing.)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- Updating Fermi's Paradox – The Super Fermi Paradox
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- Orthorexia Nervosa: The Righteous Health Food Obsession
- How Safe Is Air Travel?
- Will New Antibiotics Reduce The Resistance Problem?
- "Still visible! Nice!Cheers,T...."
- "Size is not the criterion for quantum coherence. Some quantum effects, notably superfluidity and..."
- "It's a science-fiction trope that we must be outmatched but we might be first and 4 billion years..."
- "I'm still not completely there, but over the course of time I have started to engage the idea that..."
- "Want to see a reason why people avoid mental health treatment? I know a woman (family member) who..."