You can donate money to help schoolchildren throughout the year, but if you participate in the ocean blogging community's annual Donor's Choose drive (which ends November 9th) then you get your name thrown in the hat to win some pretty special prizes.
I was hoping to find a gift to add to the list while I was at the Squid Symposium in Mexico, and indeed, it was very nearly dropped into my lap:
The front says "EL CALAMAR" (the squid) and the back reads "5th SIMPOSIUM INTERNATIONAL PACIFIC SQUIDS MEXICO 2010" (the spelling error is because the Spanish word for "symposium" is "simposio").
Obviously, these beautiful ceramic tiles were hand-painted especially for the Squid Symposium; each participant received one along with the other registration materials (and the obligatory t-shirt). I can't think of a better use for mine than rewarding donations to schoolchildren in need!
Shell and Mantle is kindly serving as the ocean blogging community's Prize Czar. If you donate, just forward your receipt to shellandmantleATgmailDOTcom, and you'll be entered in the final prize drawing.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Pollution In Toronto's Subways
- Emotional Feeding Leads To Emotional Eating
- LHCb Measures Unity, Finds 0.6
- Predicting Methane Rise, Using A Hydroxyl Radical Estimate
- Government: There Is More To Science Than Government-Funded Jobs
- Kuphus Polythalamia: Giant Sulfur-Powered Shipworm Is The Stuff Of Science Fiction
- Waiting For Jupiter
- "Sure. I am not sure who you are but we don't throw anyone out. We have some people who probably..."
- "Hey, Hank, Would I be welcomed back to the site, if I asked nicely? Anyway, there are still no..."
- "Thanks for sharing..."
- "A lot of it boils down to conspiracy. And I have no reason to doubt astrophysicists and scientists..."
- "Yes, the region of q^2 near threshold (q^2 here is the ee or μμ invariant mass) is sensitive..."
- DSHEA Has Allowed 23 Years Of Disgraceful Cancer Claims By Supplement Makers
- Cost and Payments: Two Peculiarities of U.S. Healthcare Spending
- Two Melanoma 'Blockers' Identified, Researchers Report
- Cost and Coverage: Two Peculiarities of U.S. Healthcare Spending
- The Many Invisible Faces of Type 1 Diabetes
- 2 Melanoma 'Blockers' Identified, Researchers Report
- Manipulating water using light
- Sympathetic nervous system: Your brain, not your white blood cells, keeps you warm
- You can't trust EWG about pesticides on fruits and vegetables
- In reading, kindergarten became the new first grade, thanks to No Child Left Behind
- Vitamin D supplements don't prevent cardiovascular disease