You can donate money to help schoolchildren throughout the year, but if you participate in the ocean blogging community's annual Donor's Choose drive (which ends November 9th) then you get your name thrown in the hat to win some pretty special prizes.
I was hoping to find a gift to add to the list while I was at the Squid Symposium in Mexico, and indeed, it was very nearly dropped into my lap:
The front says "EL CALAMAR" (the squid) and the back reads "5th SIMPOSIUM INTERNATIONAL PACIFIC SQUIDS MEXICO 2010" (the spelling error is because the Spanish word for "symposium" is "simposio").
Obviously, these beautiful ceramic tiles were hand-painted especially for the Squid Symposium; each participant received one along with the other registration materials (and the obligatory t-shirt). I can't think of a better use for mine than rewarding donations to schoolchildren in need!
Shell and Mantle is kindly serving as the ocean blogging community's Prize Czar. If you donate, just forward your receipt to shellandmantleATgmailDOTcom, and you'll be entered in the final prize drawing.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Neil Tyson On The Politics Of Science Denial
- Corals: Not So Passive, They Are Nature's Tiny Engineers
- Mutating Ebola Viruses Not As Scary As Evolving Ones
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Created: Renewable Propane Using E.coli
- Low Carb Vs. Low Fat Diets: Which Is Better?
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- "He used the term 'liberal' and thus so I did I, for the sake of consistency. In Science Left Behind..."
- "Clever one, Hank! In fact, I do have to exercise quite a lot of my limited self-control over..."
- "At least fruit flies have survived...."
- "Or put another way, a science blog should recognize the differences between: -Research that conclusively..."
- "Not to be rude - but the modern Left is Left - not liberal. I am Conservative, and would outscore..."
- An hour of moderate exercise a day may decrease heart failure risk
- Breast cancer patients with bilateral mastectomy don't have better survival rates
- Comparison of named diet programs finds little difference in weight-loss outcomes
- Increase seen in use of double mastectomy
- Study finds change in type of procedure most commonly used for bariatric surgery