You can donate money to help schoolchildren throughout the year, but if you participate in the ocean blogging community's annual Donor's Choose drive (which ends November 9th) then you get your name thrown in the hat to win some pretty special prizes.
I was hoping to find a gift to add to the list while I was at the Squid Symposium in Mexico, and indeed, it was very nearly dropped into my lap:
The front says "EL CALAMAR" (the squid) and the back reads "5th SIMPOSIUM INTERNATIONAL PACIFIC SQUIDS MEXICO 2010" (the spelling error is because the Spanish word for "symposium" is "simposio").
Obviously, these beautiful ceramic tiles were hand-painted especially for the Squid Symposium; each participant received one along with the other registration materials (and the obligatory t-shirt). I can't think of a better use for mine than rewarding donations to schoolchildren in need!
Shell and Mantle is kindly serving as the ocean blogging community's Prize Czar. If you donate, just forward your receipt to shellandmantleATgmailDOTcom, and you'll be entered in the final prize drawing.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Genetic History Of Ice Age Europe
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Three Earth-sized Planets Found Orbiting A Tiny Nearby Star
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- Scientists Discover Oral Sex In Spiders
- "actually I prefer something real, not paper printed by a private entity, backed by full faith and..."
- "Hello Peter:I presume my readers are busy. I presume they have a mild degree of experience about..."
- "So keep your cash an watch the world come to an end . Cheap and selfish is the right way ..."
- "There is a tendency to label some as Global Warming Alarmists I think the warnings have been conservative..."
- "The guardian? You're funny :-) The CESM models only prove accurate with post-hoc data input corrections..."
- 3 Reasons Aerial Pesticides Are Not Causing Autism
- Most Stores Refuse E-Cigarette Sales to Minors
- Vitamin C Conundrum for the Organic Crowd
- Newsweek Journalist Loses His Mind, Time-Traveling Radioactivity And More Media Links
- This Single-Celled Organism Is Capable Of Learning
- Study Says Bilingual Kids’ Brains Are Smarter & Faster
- UC San Diego bioengineers create first online search engine for functional genomics data
- UK Health Check has only modest impact on risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Adult brain prunes branched connections of new neurons
- Five new breast cancer genes and range of mutations pave way for personalized treatment
- Quantum sensors for high-precision magnetometry of superconductors