You can donate money to help schoolchildren throughout the year, but if you participate in the ocean blogging community's annual Donor's Choose drive (which ends November 9th) then you get your name thrown in the hat to win some pretty special prizes.
I was hoping to find a gift to add to the list while I was at the Squid Symposium in Mexico, and indeed, it was very nearly dropped into my lap:
The front says "EL CALAMAR" (the squid) and the back reads "5th SIMPOSIUM INTERNATIONAL PACIFIC SQUIDS MEXICO 2010" (the spelling error is because the Spanish word for "symposium" is "simposio").
Obviously, these beautiful ceramic tiles were hand-painted especially for the Squid Symposium; each participant received one along with the other registration materials (and the obligatory t-shirt). I can't think of a better use for mine than rewarding donations to schoolchildren in need!
Shell and Mantle is kindly serving as the ocean blogging community's Prize Czar. If you donate, just forward your receipt to shellandmantleATgmailDOTcom, and you'll be entered in the final prize drawing.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- New Results From The LHC At 13 TeV!
- Coffee Consumption Linked To Lower Risk Of Mild Cognitive Impairment
- An Anti-Aging Pill Is Still A Long Way Off
- "this makes many things that I have been reading and experiencing make sense. thank you, Nina Tryggvas..."
- "Welcome to Science twenty Kavin! I'm a bit disheartened someone with the generic shrill accusation..."
- "Another good article, as always. I've made this point several times to friends and family, especially..."
- "Making the statement, Evidence-base 'insight', doesn't make the insight - or in this case, opinions..."
- "Nothing to worry about here, folks! Just ANOTHER nutty scientist you mustn't trust! Almost. He's..."
- Prostate cancer is 5 different diseases
- When surgeons listen to their preferred music, their stitches are better and faster
- Depressed females have over-active glutamate receptor gene
- How to become a cellular T follicular helper
- The Lancet profiles scare stories from Hiroshima and Nagasaki to Fukushima