. . . don't exist.
But because it's finger squid season in Texas, I've been reading up on the closest approximation to a freshwater squid: the Atlantic brief squid, Lolliguncula brevis. It's a pretty great name for a pretty great squid. The latin name just rolls off the tongue: lolly-gunk-you-lah. And "brief"? Like these? Oh wait, those are squid briefs, not brief squids . . .
I think the brief squid was named for its diminutive size.
Who knew brevity could be measured in centimeters?
But seriously folks, the brief squid may be the most freshwater-tolerant of cephalopods. It lives all along the east coast of the Americas, from New Jersey through the Gulf of Mexico and all the way to Rio de Janeiro. It is particularly fond of bays and estuaries, where salinity is reduced due to freshwater input from rivers.
Our brief friends appear to prefer water of 17 ppt or higher (seawater is usually in the low 30's, and true freshwater is zero), but studies in the early 80's suggested that they could survive salinity of 8.5 ppt. Yikes!
However, L. brevis is still far from being a truly freshwater squid. So far, that exists only in fiction.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- ECFA Workshop: Planning For The High Luminosity LHC
- Why Climate 'Uncertainty' Is No Excuse For Doing Nothing
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- Dams Are Not The Smart Way To Secure Water For Agriculture
- Cosmic Rays Jeopardize Deep-Space Astronaut Missions
- "An interesting read, but perhaps not ideal for me to make one of my hot-headed comments right off..."
- "“I accept that if my child kicks lions, this will irritate them, but a range of factors will..."
- "Yes in fact it is free, I just looked it up in the Apple Store. Actually you have it backwards..."
- "You believe in every possibility? So you believe in gods and in an absence of gods, all at the..."
- " Actually no, the millions of volts of potential energy is not a magical perpetual motion pipe..."
- Beyond universal donors, some poeple are programed with no blood type at all
- Anti-conventional ag movement spurs Big Ag to look to organic pesticides
- Can people really inherit memories?
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- Egg freezing: a smart career move?
- Women carry fetal DNA long after children’s birth
- Global consumption an increasingly significant driver of tropical deforestation
- An effective, cost-saving way to detect natural gas pipeline leaks
- Susceptibility for relapsing major depressive disorder can be calculated
- Indiana Project screenings show need for more mental health services in youth detention
- Aphthous ulcers: Causes of mucosal inflammation are unclear