. . . don't exist.
But because it's finger squid season in Texas, I've been reading up on the closest approximation to a freshwater squid: the Atlantic brief squid, Lolliguncula brevis. It's a pretty great name for a pretty great squid. The latin name just rolls off the tongue: lolly-gunk-you-lah. And "brief"? Like these? Oh wait, those are squid briefs, not brief squids . . .
I think the brief squid was named for its diminutive size.
Who knew brevity could be measured in centimeters?
But seriously folks, the brief squid may be the most freshwater-tolerant of cephalopods. It lives all along the east coast of the Americas, from New Jersey through the Gulf of Mexico and all the way to Rio de Janeiro. It is particularly fond of bays and estuaries, where salinity is reduced due to freshwater input from rivers.
Our brief friends appear to prefer water of 17 ppt or higher (seawater is usually in the low 30's, and true freshwater is zero), but studies in the early 80's suggested that they could survive salinity of 8.5 ppt. Yikes!
However, L. brevis is still far from being a truly freshwater squid. So far, that exists only in fiction.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Radical Rethink: Sugars Are The Only Cause Of Tooth Decay
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Being Too Analytical Could Push Ethics Out The Door
- It's Almost 2015 - So Where Is My Hoverboard?
- Rapidly Evolving Lizards Show How Some Creatures Can Adapt To Beat Climate Change
- Drugs For Mild Hypertension In Low Risk People Questioned
- Keytruda: FDA Approves Melanoma Drug That Uses Immune System To Fight Cancer
- "Hi Luis,thanks for the quote. Of course we are looking in every corner of phase space... Cheers,T...."
- "Hello Tony,of course ATLAS and CMS are looking for new Higgs states in that mass region and..."
- "Dear Inventor,it is not a generalization, it is the necessary result of the introduction of the..."
- "I doubt she read it far enough to see the details of the proposal. You are welcome to recommend..."
- "I do hope Hontas actually read your proposal (bet) before deleting it, since I truly hope she takes..."
- Imaging identifies asymptomatic people at risk for stroke
- Researchers debunk myth about Parkinson's disease
- Dental and nutrition experts call for radical rethink on free sugars intake
- Study shows consumption of high-fat dairy products is associated with a lower risk of developing diabetes
- Study adds to cancer-fighting promise of combined immunotherapy-radiation treatment