. . . don't exist.
But because it's finger squid season in Texas, I've been reading up on the closest approximation to a freshwater squid: the Atlantic brief squid, Lolliguncula brevis. It's a pretty great name for a pretty great squid. The latin name just rolls off the tongue: lolly-gunk-you-lah. And "brief"? Like these? Oh wait, those are squid briefs, not brief squids . . .
I think the brief squid was named for its diminutive size.
Who knew brevity could be measured in centimeters?
But seriously folks, the brief squid may be the most freshwater-tolerant of cephalopods. It lives all along the east coast of the Americas, from New Jersey through the Gulf of Mexico and all the way to Rio de Janeiro. It is particularly fond of bays and estuaries, where salinity is reduced due to freshwater input from rivers.
Our brief friends appear to prefer water of 17 ppt or higher (seawater is usually in the low 30's, and true freshwater is zero), but studies in the early 80's suggested that they could survive salinity of 8.5 ppt. Yikes!
However, L. brevis is still far from being a truly freshwater squid. So far, that exists only in fiction.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Zika Infects The Placenta
- Scientists Discover How Supermassive Black Holes Keep Galaxies Turned Off
- Music For The Eyes
- Genomic Study Tracks African-American Dispersal In The Great Migration
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Malnutrition Results From More Than Just Inadequate Diet
- Would President Donald Trump Be Good For Science?
- "Four paragraphs in I hit delete. I'm just going to wish you the best in all things...."
- "Oh rightio. I should add something about that as background for those who haven't come across the..."
- "Okay. Read it. Liked about half The part I found most startling was the meaning of the phrase,..."
- "I didn't think to add, of course you can also share sterilized distilled water with an ETI - if..."
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."