I have a love/hate relationship with advertising. Ads are specifically designed to manipulate people, and I hate being manipulated. On the other hand, I love using free services that are supported by ads.
Science 2.0, as you may have noticed, runs ads, and I've got no problem with that. In fact, those ads make me anywhere from $3 to $10 a month--which isn't really enough to feed my ice cream habit, though it's a worthy contribution.
But the video ads were getting a little too intrusive, according to both my own experience and comments from you, dear readers. I mentioned this to Mr. Science 2.0 himself, and learned I could opt out of ads on my blog by forfeiting future accumulation of my ice cream allowance. Done and done!
You'll still see all the sciencey stuff in the sidebar (Science Codex, Real Clear Science, and all of the Science 2.0 links) but there shouldn't be any videos about cars, or mucus, or wheelbarrows, or whatever it is that's been hammering away at my peripheral vision. Let me know if that doesn't work out for you.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go read my mail. And check my calendar to see what I'm doing tomorrow. And heck, maybe I'll even search for something . . .
This photograph by Brian McCarty is the very first Google image result for "squid."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Hurricane Polo
- Double Mastectomy: 'Angelina Effect' Has Been Long-lasting
- Sound Vibrations To Reduce Pesticides And Boost Harvests?
- The Wealth Under Afghanistan
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- Fracking Blamed For Too Many Hotel Rooms
- "That's all true. However, if you're in a country where a weeks wages amounts to say $20,..."
- "That is not a greed issue, as is commonly portrayed, it is a 'herd immunity' issue. Just like overuse..."
- "The one problem with some of the GM foods isn't the genetics or the modifications...it's that patents..."
- "WTF? ..."
- "I thought this was interestinggreening-the-worlds-deserts..."