Enjoy Greek yogurt?
Maybe, if you hate nature.
Because it is now a $2 billion a year industry, activists have turned on it, a fate that the $29 billion organic food industry has so far escaped.
One Green Planet says the greek yogurt manufacturing process is "creating an ecological nightmare beyond all comprehension" which tells you that no one at One Green Planet can do simple math. And they are prone to hyperbole. It is entirely in my ability to comprehend what a cup of yogurt can do.
It takes three ounces of milk to make an ounce of yogurt and any excess whey acid is useless - well, a "toxic liquid" if you are an activist. Dumping it "would cause immeasurable destruction to the natural habitat" in environmentalist lingo and they lament that just the Northeast produced 150 million gallons of this acid whey "toxic liquid" last year.
150 million gallons!!! That's a lot, right? Well, actually, it is a swimming pool about 100 meters long and 20 meters wide and 3 meters deep. So all this waste is basically the size of a small submarine. If that is the impact of a $2 billion industry that's pretty darn good.
Oh no, Greek Yogurt has created a really big swimming pool of leftover whey. Somewhere, a Democrat will be willing to call it FrankenYogurt and offer to ban it. Image: Amazon
They also get hysterical because New York state changed the size of a small dairy farm. Small farms don't get the same level of onerous EPA micromanagement and regulations that environmentalists spent all that money getting put into place so it seems to bother them if small farmers are not run out of business.
These things and (somehow) fertilizer all get lumped in as an "environmental time bomb".
So enjoy that Greek yogurt. When you are living out some real-life version of Fallout 3 because the environmental bomb you created went off, don't come crying to One Green Planet about it.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- Why Climate 'Uncertainty' Is No Excuse For Doing Nothing
- ECFA Workshop: Planning For The High Luminosity LHC
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- Cosmic Rays Jeopardize Deep-Space Astronaut Missions
- Dams Are Not The Smart Way To Secure Water For Agriculture
- "Nah. It's not free for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. Apple products usually don't play nice with..."
- "http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/HPV/index.html says no interesting difference in side..."
- "Tommaso, I fully agree with you that for the moment it would be unwise and unjustified to committ..."
- "Chaos, thanks, I couldn't come up with the word. Well, sure. The article really didn't work to..."
- "So many decisions seem to be made by ISEBYs — in someone else’s back yard. ..."
- Beyond universal donors, some poeple are programed with no blood type at all
- Anti-conventional ag movement spurs Big Ag to look to organic pesticides
- Can people really inherit memories?
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- Egg freezing: a smart career move?
- Women carry fetal DNA long after children’s birth
- Early palliative care can cut hospital readmissions for cancer patients
- Criminologists try to solve murder mystery: Who will become a killer?
- Researchers record sight neurons in jumping spider brain
- Research suggests team-based care is most effective way to control hypertension
- UNC scientists discover hidden subpopulation of melanoma cells