Enjoy Greek yogurt?
Maybe, if you hate nature.
Because it is now a $2 billion a year industry, activists have turned on it, a fate that the $29 billion organic food industry has so far escaped.
One Green Planet says the greek yogurt manufacturing process is "creating an ecological nightmare beyond all comprehension" which tells you that no one at One Green Planet can do simple math. And they are prone to hyperbole. It is entirely in my ability to comprehend what a cup of yogurt can do.
It takes three ounces of milk to make an ounce of yogurt and any excess whey acid is useless - well, a "toxic liquid" if you are an activist. Dumping it "would cause immeasurable destruction to the natural habitat" in environmentalist lingo and they lament that just the Northeast produced 150 million gallons of this acid whey "toxic liquid" last year.
150 million gallons!!! That's a lot, right? Well, actually, it is a swimming pool about 100 meters long and 20 meters wide and 3 meters deep. So all this waste is basically the size of a small submarine. If that is the impact of a $2 billion industry that's pretty darn good.
Oh no, Greek Yogurt has created a really big swimming pool of leftover whey. Somewhere, a Democrat will be willing to call it FrankenYogurt and offer to ban it. Image: Amazon
They also get hysterical because New York state changed the size of a small dairy farm. Small farms don't get the same level of onerous EPA micromanagement and regulations that environmentalists spent all that money getting put into place so it seems to bother them if small farmers are not run out of business.
These things and (somehow) fertilizer all get lumped in as an "environmental time bomb".
So enjoy that Greek yogurt. When you are living out some real-life version of Fallout 3 because the environmental bomb you created went off, don't come crying to One Green Planet about it.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- AMVA4NewPhysics Logo
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- Radiation Detectors Click By Design
- Patients With Recurrent Depression Have Smaller Hippocampi
- "Dr I think being obese is a mixture of the culture we grow up and lifestlye we choose to leave..."
- "Thank you for your words of encouragement. And, I agree that when it comes to weight control, the..."
- "Hi Bill, thanks for your message - I am considering your input. Maybe some more concept and less..."
- "Thanks for the tips - well indeed the internet is a complex place. But I did want some pink and..."
- "Apologizing for a hiatus due to vacations, I am posting today.... Yes Tommaso, how dare you allow..."
- What bee-killing mites can teach us about parasite evolution
- Autism - measured in a sniff
- Opera is deadly - but The Tarantino influence in modern opera is killing it
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows encouraging trial results
- Prion trials and tribulations: Finding the right tools and experimental models