Enjoy Greek yogurt?
Maybe, if you hate nature.
Because it is now a $2 billion a year industry, activists have turned on it, a fate that the $29 billion organic food industry has so far escaped.
One Green Planet says the greek yogurt manufacturing process is "creating an ecological nightmare beyond all comprehension" which tells you that no one at One Green Planet can do simple math. And they are prone to hyperbole. It is entirely in my ability to comprehend what a cup of yogurt can do.
It takes three ounces of milk to make an ounce of yogurt and any excess whey acid is useless - well, a "toxic liquid" if you are an activist. Dumping it "would cause immeasurable destruction to the natural habitat" in environmentalist lingo and they lament that just the Northeast produced 150 million gallons of this acid whey "toxic liquid" last year.
150 million gallons!!! That's a lot, right? Well, actually, it is a swimming pool about 100 meters long and 20 meters wide and 3 meters deep. So all this waste is basically the size of a small submarine. If that is the impact of a $2 billion industry that's pretty darn good.
Oh no, Greek Yogurt has created a really big swimming pool of leftover whey. Somewhere, a Democrat will be willing to call it FrankenYogurt and offer to ban it. Image: Amazon
They also get hysterical because New York state changed the size of a small dairy farm. Small farms don't get the same level of onerous EPA micromanagement and regulations that environmentalists spent all that money getting put into place so it seems to bother them if small farmers are not run out of business.
These things and (somehow) fertilizer all get lumped in as an "environmental time bomb".
So enjoy that Greek yogurt. When you are living out some real-life version of Fallout 3 because the environmental bomb you created went off, don't come crying to One Green Planet about it.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Wave-Particle Duality And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Dr. Ozvorkian And The Amoebas
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- "Maybe there are different types of science. In biomedical sciences, we depend on falsifiability..."
- "Step 0: Open your mind and listen -- you might learn something...."
- "I strongly urge readers to READ 'Scientific method: Defend the integrity of physics' by Ellis and..."
- "Mark:You state that science is an expert trust-based system ...Now, if you are talking about how..."
- "The need to immediately, completely, legalize Marijuana throughout the world is one of the most..."