Enjoy Greek yogurt?
Maybe, if you hate nature.
Because it is now a $2 billion a year industry, activists have turned on it, a fate that the $29 billion organic food industry has so far escaped.
One Green Planet says the greek yogurt manufacturing process is "creating an ecological nightmare beyond all comprehension" which tells you that no one at One Green Planet can do simple math. And they are prone to hyperbole. It is entirely in my ability to comprehend what a cup of yogurt can do.
It takes three ounces of milk to make an ounce of yogurt and any excess whey acid is useless - well, a "toxic liquid" if you are an activist. Dumping it "would cause immeasurable destruction to the natural habitat" in environmentalist lingo and they lament that just the Northeast produced 150 million gallons of this acid whey "toxic liquid" last year.
150 million gallons!!! That's a lot, right? Well, actually, it is a swimming pool about 100 meters long and 20 meters wide and 3 meters deep. So all this waste is basically the size of a small submarine. If that is the impact of a $2 billion industry that's pretty darn good.
Oh no, Greek Yogurt has created a really big swimming pool of leftover whey. Somewhere, a Democrat will be willing to call it FrankenYogurt and offer to ban it. Image: Amazon
They also get hysterical because New York state changed the size of a small dairy farm. Small farms don't get the same level of onerous EPA micromanagement and regulations that environmentalists spent all that money getting put into place so it seems to bother them if small farmers are not run out of business.
These things and (somehow) fertilizer all get lumped in as an "environmental time bomb".
So enjoy that Greek yogurt. When you are living out some real-life version of Fallout 3 because the environmental bomb you created went off, don't come crying to One Green Planet about it.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Journalists - Please Fact Check Your "Doomsday" News Stories -They Terrify Young Children And Vulnerable People
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the a$$ today.
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- A Racist On The Jews: Let The Donald Trump!
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- "The only people who are in for a shock are the people who believe in it, when nothing happens...."
- "Oh, okay, you need to understand a bit about how solar systems form. It starts with a condensing..."
- "Are we gonna be in for a shock with this nibiru planet mr walker also if you had the chance to..."
- "The thing that gets me mr walker is planets can collide so why all of a sudden is this now impossible..."
- "Oh, I saw that comment thanks. I didn't see any point in replying. They gave no reasons, didn't..."
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?