Enjoy Greek yogurt?
Maybe, if you hate nature.
Because it is now a $2 billion a year industry, activists have turned on it, a fate that the $29 billion organic food industry has so far escaped.
One Green Planet says the greek yogurt manufacturing process is "creating an ecological nightmare beyond all comprehension" which tells you that no one at One Green Planet can do simple math. And they are prone to hyperbole. It is entirely in my ability to comprehend what a cup of yogurt can do.
It takes three ounces of milk to make an ounce of yogurt and any excess whey acid is useless - well, a "toxic liquid" if you are an activist. Dumping it "would cause immeasurable destruction to the natural habitat" in environmentalist lingo and they lament that just the Northeast produced 150 million gallons of this acid whey "toxic liquid" last year.
150 million gallons!!! That's a lot, right? Well, actually, it is a swimming pool about 100 meters long and 20 meters wide and 3 meters deep. So all this waste is basically the size of a small submarine. If that is the impact of a $2 billion industry that's pretty darn good.
Oh no, Greek Yogurt has created a really big swimming pool of leftover whey. Somewhere, a Democrat will be willing to call it FrankenYogurt and offer to ban it. Image: Amazon
They also get hysterical because New York state changed the size of a small dairy farm. Small farms don't get the same level of onerous EPA micromanagement and regulations that environmentalists spent all that money getting put into place so it seems to bother them if small farmers are not run out of business.
These things and (somehow) fertilizer all get lumped in as an "environmental time bomb".
So enjoy that Greek yogurt. When you are living out some real-life version of Fallout 3 because the environmental bomb you created went off, don't come crying to One Green Planet about it.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Muslim Hijab Linked To Less Negative Body Image Among Women
- Bariatric Surgery Is Booming - Is It Needed?
- Does Dr. Oz Think I'm An Idiot?
- E-Cigarettes Versus Cigarettes: 10X Decrease In Second-Hand Smoke
- Double Mastectomy Doesn't Bring Better Breast Cancer Survival Rates Over Lumpectomy
- Mutating Ebola Viruses Not As Scary As Evolving Ones
- Misogyny Wins With Hacking Of Intimate Celebrity Pictures – But You Can Choose Not To Look
- "Oh please get it right. No smoke comes from e-cigs ! It is vapour,that is why we the users call..."
- "Yep couldn't agree more. I've tried a couple of diets and couldn't stick to the ones that were..."
- "Not all people who seek bariatric surgery are those who believe they lack the mental resolve to..."
- "To say that a practice must have some objective positives if a billion plus people do it would..."
- "Not sure what the point of this study was. A parallel to this study would be one that states that..."