I was impressed by the extensive damage done to an Indiana home and surrounding structures a few days ago. It really did look like a bomb blast.
The obvious explanation is that a gas leak was the cause, but could it have been an explosive device?
One way to sort this out is to compare the energy content of natural gas with other types of explosions. Intuitively, one might expect that a 100 kg (220 pound) bomb would do this kind of damage. The energy content of 100 kg of TNT is 400 million joules, so how much gas would contain a similar amount of energy?
The surprising answer is that it doesn't take much, just 10 cubic meters. A typical room in a house has a volume of 30 cubic meters, of which 6 cubic meters is the oxygen that is also required to power a gas explosion. So a burst gas line in a tightly closed room would be one possible source of energy, but no one reported smelling any gas either before or after the explosion.
Credit: KOMO news
What else could it be? Suppose that a five gallon container of gasoline tipped over and spilled, then evaporated into a closed space. How much explosive power would it have? Again, the answer is surprising: 700 million joules, equivalent to a 400 pound bomb!
So, playing Sherlock, my best guess is that gasoline spilled in an enclosed space such as a well-insulated midwestern basement, which also accounts for the fact that no one smelled the distinctive aroma of a gas leak.
Having gone through this calculation, I'll have to do something about that gasoline container in our garage.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Big Data Engineering - Now With More Neuroscience
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Coffee Lowers Risk Of Alzheimer's Up To 20 Percent
- Science Enters The Brown Versus White Bread Battle
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- "Liz, See my reply below for a brief listing of why Steve there is not more than a troll.  ..."
- "Your review was nothing more than a hit and run hurl of an insult. Which would have remained..."
- "Steve, just to respond to your last point. There are two resources that do just what you suggest..."
- "many will say - oh g-o-d, not that again - does not change the fact that social engineering via..."
- "No intelligent person believes tobacco controls' santimonious twaddle anymore. This is the purvey..."
- Classification of gene mutations in a children's cancer may point to improved treatments
- Noise in a microwave amplifier is limited by quantum particles of heat
- Termite of the sea's wood destruction strategy revealed
- A billion holes can make a battery
- Behavioral interventions to prevent progression to diabetes equally effective in men and women