And so anti-science hippies somewhere along the way decided that all oil came from dinosaurs.
Now science knows coal developed long before that, and rather than being dinosaurs oil is overwhelmingly the result of bacteria, aquatic phytoplankton, and zooplankton.
Other companies have showed science the love as well. The Carlsberg beer company was so proud of Niels Bohr for winning the Nobel Prize in 1922, they gave him free use of a house next to the brewery - which had been built for the founder, who had himself built the Carlsberg Laboratory in 1875.
An urban myth - repeated again by, unsurprisingly, Buzzfeed - is that they even put in a tap from the brewery to his house but that isn't so.
They did give him free beer, though. That is next level support for science. Your move, Bill Gates!
- Dinosaur BMI: Computer Model Decides Fattysaurus Versus Thinnysaurus
- Velafrons Coahuilensis Discovery Gives New Insights Into Ancient Life On West America
- African Killer: Carcharodontosaurus Iguidensis
- Nyasasaurus Parringtoni: Oldest Dinosaur Found- So Far
- Evidence Mishandled: Meat-Eating Killer Tracked To Africa