- To YouTube Creators- Don't Panic If Your Videos Are Misclassified As Directed To Kids While They Work On COPPA Compliance
YouTube creators are panicking as YouTube classifies their videos as directed towards kids when they are not. It's a dumb algorithm. It would classify this as a comic book probably. A human would never classify this channel as for kids under 13: Vivz ...
Article - Robert Walker - Dec 1 2019 - 1:46pm
- Broadcast News At 100: How Radio Shaped The Modern World
Eighty-one years ago, a broadcast of Orson Welles’s War of the Worlds supposedly caused mass hysteria in America, as listeners thought Martians had invaded New Jersey. There are varying accounts of the controversial incident, and it remains a topic of fas ...
Article - The Conversation - Jan 6 2020 - 3:30pm
- AI Detects And Grades Prostate Cancer As Well As World-Class Pathologists In Recent Tests
Artificial intelligence (AI) for histopathological diagnosis and grading of prostate cancer has the potential to solve one of the bottlenecks in today's prostate cancer histopathology; by providing more accurate diagnosis and better treatment decision ...
Article - News Staff - Jan 9 2020 - 10:10am
- Netflix: The Goop Lab Is An Infomercial For Gwyneth Paltrow's Pseudoscience Business
Last week, Netflix dropped the trailer for Gwyneth Paltrow’s new show The Goop Lab. It is a six-episode docuseries launching on Jan. 24 that, according to the trailers, focuses on approaches to wellness that are “out there,” “unregulated” and “dangerous.” ...
Article - The Conversation - Jan 13 2020 - 7:08pm
- When An App Can Predict Your Life Expectancy, Do You Want To Know?
When will I die? This question has endured across cultures and civilisations. It has given rise to a plethora of religions and spiritual paths over thousands of years, and more recently, some highly amusing apps. But this question now prompts a different ...
Article - The Conversation - Jan 16 2020 - 1:27pm
- Juice Jacking: The Risks Of Public USB Charging Ports For Devices
Have you ever used a public charging station to charge your mobile phone when it runs out of battery? If so, watch out for “juice jacking”. Cybercriminals are on the prowl to infect your mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers and access y ...
Article - The Conversation - Feb 5 2020 - 4:30pm
- Queering Of Robots Will Make Them Designed To Include The LGBTQ+ Community
In a new short paper in the journal Nature Machine Intelligence, Roger A. Søraa from Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) and co-authors Eduard Fosch-Villaronga from Leiden University in the Netherlands, and Adam Poulsen from Charles Stur ...
Article - News Staff - Feb 13 2020 - 9:31am
- Skeptical In Seattle: Valentine's Day Shows How Data Mining Can Arrive At An Accurate Yet Wrong Answer
I got an email from an analytics group pitching an article about Valentine's Day movie results. It promised: "If you’re planning to celebrate Valentine’s Day by watching a romantic film you’ll probably end up watching Isn’t It Romantic, accordin ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 13 2020 - 3:04pm
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
Cyber warfare, killer robots, biological pandemics due to mad scientists, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists has grown since the old days of just figuring out how to kill nuclear power. ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 24 2020 - 2:49pm
- Facebook Is A Huge Source Of Misinformation And Disinformation About Vaccines
Do you want to believe a mom with no credentials who opposes modern agriculture can keep your baby from getting autism? Do you want to believe fracking will set your tap water on fire or that COVID-19 was caused by 5G cell phone service in Wuhan? There ar ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Mar 12 2020 - 1:38pm