Today among the three top players -those in the money- at the Higgs challenge we see the appearance of Lubos Motl, whom I had signalled as a participant in an earlier posting. We all know that Lubos is a smart guy, but I doubted whether he would take this very seriously. However, it seems he is. As we speak he has submitted almost 100 solutions (you can submit up to 5 solutions per day, so that means having worked at this at least 20 days in a row).
In the clip below you see the top standers from the challenge site's leaderboard:
So Lubos is currently third, and at this point he looks like one of the likely winners - but let's not forget that there are still three months to go, and some of us are keeping our solutions in the pocket rather than posting them on the site; this is in fact a bit like a poker game, where you don't want to show your hand too quickly.
In my spare time I am also working at a classification algorithm of my own - something entirely written by myself, unlike the tools that most participants are declaredly using. I am getting good results, but I have so far only ran tests on a fraction of the total training dataset - which decreases the machine's ability to classify at its best signal and background events.
Despite the fact that I am running on less than a tenth of the training sample, here is what I have been getting as of late: the screen capture below shows the output of my program this afternoon (below the black screen with my program's output you can read the leaderboard page posted above). To give you a hint, the Score in the challenge's page is called "AMS".
So as you see, the last three months of the challenge may reserve surprises yet!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- TSCA Reform Casualties Likely Start with Asbestos
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- California Methane Caps Could Hurt Organic Farming Most
- "It's nothing unusual as we get flybys every day. Actually two flybys is fewer than usual.It's ..."
- "So nibiru is supposedly to be swinging by us and two asteroids lovely just what we need.Casey ..."
- "That's just a rabbi who said this. People have been saying the world will end for centuries, and..."
- "I to have also heard it is supposedly going to happen tomorrow.Casey..."
- "Thanks for your summary Leonardo!Best,T...."
- Chemical weapons are still being used in Iraq but the Obama administration doesn't talk about it
- Why psychology lost its soul - science replaced it
- Jim Crow internet is pushing back against Black Lives Matter
- Ben & Jerry's: Global warming is changing the flavor of ice cream
- Laterality: Finding out about the human mind through stone