Fresh from ironing out the mechanical difficulties in the faster-than-light neutrino, CERN and OPERA have licensed the technology to soda giant Pepsi, which will use neutrinos instead of dissolved carbon dioxide to create the drink's iconic fizz.
"This truly is the choice of a new generation," says Pepsi CEO, Indra Nooyi.
The partnership comes on the heels of a difficult month for OPERA during which the faster-than-light particle made headlines, then appeared to be the product of loose fiber-optic cables connecting a GPS unit to a computer. The apparent gaff resulted in the resignation of the overseeing physicist, Antonio Eriditato. But after replacing the faulty fiber-optics with slightly undercooked capellini, Eriditato and OPERA were able to replicate the transmission sans error, confirming the particle's velocity from Geneva to Italy as faster than Einstein's speed limit -- "Really, very damn fast," says CERN director Rolph Dieter-Heuer.
"I told you so," says Eriditato, adding that each can of Pepsi powered by a faster-than-light particle has only a 6.42*10^-8 chance of ending the universe upon opening.
The group hopes the corporate partnership will allow further exploration of faster-than-light particles, with OPERA hot on the trail of a faster-than-faster-than-light neutrino. This second speedy particle, which showed up at OPERA *before* transmission from Geneva, may not have "traveled" in the traditional sense of the word at all -- instead, researchers propose that it popped out of existence in Geneva and then reanimated a split millisecond *earlier* in Geneva.
This new particle's cleft-apple shape and ability to defy that apparent laws of man and nature led to the particle's early nickname, the Kardashian.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Why Do Spacecraft Like Schiaperelli Crash On Mars So Easily?
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- Was Euclid A Black Woman? Sorting Through The False History And Bad Philosophy Of Mathematics
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- "No great mystery, you can't do Mars on the cheap. The Russians and ESA keep trying to do low-cost..."
- "Seriously mr walker anything to worry about at all about nibiru hand on heart sir im constantly..."
- "Thanks Alejandro, glad to have helped, and greetings from the Isle of Mull in Scotland :). Robert..."
- "I wonder: How much is this guy's rejection of deductive, rigorous Western reasoning based on his..."
- "John, thanks, glad you like it :) - Robert..."
- Early Math Classes Biased Against Girls, Affecting Career Choices, Study Finds
- Is Modern Feminism Incompatible with Science?
- When All Else Fails, Bribing Kids to Eat Better
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Dr. Halford Answers 'the Big Question'
- The Media is Not Helping in the Battle Against SIDS