If you are unsure what a buzzword is, please first read:
The Buzzword Blog #2 : What is a Buzzword?
The Buzzword Blog #6 : Customer
The word 'customer' comes via old French from the Latin consuetudinem, meaning 'habit' or 'useage'. A customer is a person who habitually, as a matter of personal choice, exchanges his or her money for goods or services from a preferred supplier.
Where there is no possibility of personal choice, no real exercise of preference, the term 'customer' is entirely wrong.
In the U.K. at the present time, the term 'customer' has become a meaningless buzzword for use by bureaucrats, politicians, advertising executives, and such other persons of the class of all people who subtract a value from society far more than any value that they inject.
When dealing with any government or local government department regarding almost any matter, I am addressed in correspondence as a 'customer'. I am not a customer in my dealings with woolly-thinking half-trained half-baked idiots who have been appointed by superior woolly-thinking half-trained half-baked idiots to "help" me. I am, perhaps, a 'client'. A victim, almost beyond doubt. But a customer? Never in a month of Sundays.
If I had a choice, I would choose not to suffer fools at all, never mind gladly. But I have no meaningful choice. Be treated as a 'customer' by branches of the welfare state or starve / die of illness / freeze to death.
It is bad enough to be a victim of the inadequacies, entanglements and circularities of bureacracy. But when that is compounded by the deliberate abuse - torture even - of my mother tongue I begin to wish that I had studied less of Socrates, and more of Kalashnikov.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How We Predict Climate Decades Ahead - Yet Can't Forecast Weather Ten Days Ahead - Chaos Patterned With Order
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- When Salt Is An Endocrine Disruptor, The Term Is Officially Meaningless
- Time, Wittgenstein And Language Scaffolding
- On the Distinct Possibility of Being Slightly Autistic 2/2
- Space Is Not Empty, So What Does It Sound Like? You Can Help Science Find Out
- "Yes for sure. If you need support then there are several facebook groups where you can meet other..."
- "Hi F,okay, I see your point of view. Yes, there are many feelings at play when one joins the bandwagon..."
- "Hi, I somehow disagree with your view of theorists: it was not belief or disbelief in the potential..."
- "Your really really positive and sure that nothing is going to happen please Mr walker i am actually..."
- "It was the same last Christmas. That was the first time I heard about all this but I expect it..."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland