If you are unsure what a buzzword is, please first read:
The Buzzword Blog #2 : What is a Buzzword?
The Buzzword Blog #6 : Customer
The word 'customer' comes via old French from the Latin consuetudinem, meaning 'habit' or 'useage'. A customer is a person who habitually, as a matter of personal choice, exchanges his or her money for goods or services from a preferred supplier.
Where there is no possibility of personal choice, no real exercise of preference, the term 'customer' is entirely wrong.
In the U.K. at the present time, the term 'customer' has become a meaningless buzzword for use by bureaucrats, politicians, advertising executives, and such other persons of the class of all people who subtract a value from society far more than any value that they inject.
When dealing with any government or local government department regarding almost any matter, I am addressed in correspondence as a 'customer'. I am not a customer in my dealings with woolly-thinking half-trained half-baked idiots who have been appointed by superior woolly-thinking half-trained half-baked idiots to "help" me. I am, perhaps, a 'client'. A victim, almost beyond doubt. But a customer? Never in a month of Sundays.
If I had a choice, I would choose not to suffer fools at all, never mind gladly. But I have no meaningful choice. Be treated as a 'customer' by branches of the welfare state or starve / die of illness / freeze to death.
It is bad enough to be a victim of the inadequacies, entanglements and circularities of bureacracy. But when that is compounded by the deliberate abuse - torture even - of my mother tongue I begin to wish that I had studied less of Socrates, and more of Kalashnikov.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Almost One In Three US Adults Owns A Gun But Murder Rates Have Plummeted
- Head Start In The South Also Helped Create Future Civil Rights Leaders
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- EWG's Little Site Of Horrors
- Math, Time and Obesity
- Why Horror Games Give Us The Fright We're Looking For
- Obese Teens Are Less Likely To Use Contraception
- "So from 20 times the gun linked murder rate of all other OECD countries down to 19.5 times? Still..."
- "Vegan parents investigated for neglect after baby son found severely malnourished - said they..."
- "Good news on two fronts.Although I get a kick out of insulting people now and then (OK, maybe a..."
- "Ugh, there are three paths I wish I could take this conversation now. History has taught me that..."
- "Ah I figured it out, they dropped the e in the title. Man that was really bothering me trying to..."
- Environmental attorneys and an oceanographer want EPA to declare CO2 a "toxic substance" like asbestos
- So you think you're a foodie
- Nobel Laureates dive into climate politics
- $4,200 and up: Millions of children's lives saved through government programs
- First trial of gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows beneficial effect on lung function
Books By Writers Here