If you are unsure what a buzzword is, please first read:
The Buzzword Blog #2 : What is a Buzzword?
The Buzzword Blog #6 : Customer
The word 'customer' comes via old French from the Latin consuetudinem, meaning 'habit' or 'useage'. A customer is a person who habitually, as a matter of personal choice, exchanges his or her money for goods or services from a preferred supplier.
Where there is no possibility of personal choice, no real exercise of preference, the term 'customer' is entirely wrong.
In the U.K. at the present time, the term 'customer' has become a meaningless buzzword for use by bureaucrats, politicians, advertising executives, and such other persons of the class of all people who subtract a value from society far more than any value that they inject.
When dealing with any government or local government department regarding almost any matter, I am addressed in correspondence as a 'customer'. I am not a customer in my dealings with woolly-thinking half-trained half-baked idiots who have been appointed by superior woolly-thinking half-trained half-baked idiots to "help" me. I am, perhaps, a 'client'. A victim, almost beyond doubt. But a customer? Never in a month of Sundays.
If I had a choice, I would choose not to suffer fools at all, never mind gladly. But I have no meaningful choice. Be treated as a 'customer' by branches of the welfare state or starve / die of illness / freeze to death.
It is bad enough to be a victim of the inadequacies, entanglements and circularities of bureacracy. But when that is compounded by the deliberate abuse - torture even - of my mother tongue I begin to wish that I had studied less of Socrates, and more of Kalashnikov.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sexual Fantasies: Threesomes Are Normal, Golden Showers Not So Much
- Ghost Light From Dead Galaxies - A Hubble Halloween
- Mediterranean Diet Linked To Better Kidney Health
- Greenpeace Says Its GMOs Are Better Than Science's GMOs, Still Hates Golden Rice
- US Wildlife Bans On GMOs And Neonics Lack Transparency And Scientific Rationale
- Game Theory: When Are Groups Social? Or Insufferable?
- Coulrophobia: Are Clowns Scary? Ha Ha Aaaargh
- "Twelve years in a major urban public school system, and I couldn't once bring myself to eat a school..."
- "Hardly a day goes by without some creative new take on the eternal Evil White Man meme. Without..."
- "There would be no controversy if it were all balloons and ponies stories like that. But I hope..."
- "Let's talk about this disaster: I lost a course at the university where I work and became ineligible..."
- "Partisan nastiness doesn't advance dialogue. We are all in this together. You asked for solutions..."
- Battle of Britain: NGOs and scientists clash over proposal to loosen EU GMO restrictions
- Genetically modified clean energy from bacteria
- Designer babies: You can screen for cystic fibrosis but intelligence is a ways off
- Science as profane: What superstition of 1752 and 2014 share in common
- What’s so “natural” about “natural crop breeding”?
- Worried you have cancer? Take a Google pill!
- Report examines health care challenges for pregnant women enrolled in covered California
- NYU research: Majority of high school seniors favor more liberal marijuana policies
- ESA Frontiers November preview
- Sexual fantasies: Are you normal?
- Synthetic lethality offers a new approach to kill tumor cells, explains Moffitt researcher