If you are unsure what a buzzword is, please first read:
The Buzzword Blog #2 : What is a Buzzword?
The Buzzword Blog #6 : Customer
The word 'customer' comes via old French from the Latin consuetudinem, meaning 'habit' or 'useage'. A customer is a person who habitually, as a matter of personal choice, exchanges his or her money for goods or services from a preferred supplier.
Where there is no possibility of personal choice, no real exercise of preference, the term 'customer' is entirely wrong.
In the U.K. at the present time, the term 'customer' has become a meaningless buzzword for use by bureaucrats, politicians, advertising executives, and such other persons of the class of all people who subtract a value from society far more than any value that they inject.
When dealing with any government or local government department regarding almost any matter, I am addressed in correspondence as a 'customer'. I am not a customer in my dealings with woolly-thinking half-trained half-baked idiots who have been appointed by superior woolly-thinking half-trained half-baked idiots to "help" me. I am, perhaps, a 'client'. A victim, almost beyond doubt. But a customer? Never in a month of Sundays.
If I had a choice, I would choose not to suffer fools at all, never mind gladly. But I have no meaningful choice. Be treated as a 'customer' by branches of the welfare state or starve / die of illness / freeze to death.
It is bad enough to be a victim of the inadequacies, entanglements and circularities of bureacracy. But when that is compounded by the deliberate abuse - torture even - of my mother tongue I begin to wish that I had studied less of Socrates, and more of Kalashnikov.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- Not Neonics: Parasites Are Bad For Honey Bees
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Volunteer-Based Peer Review: A Success
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- "Typical blame the victim comment by a fan girl. The point is that the quality of crossfit trainers..."
- "Happy Thanksgiving, Hank.http://youtu.be/5u0v24rissM?list=UUPu_mODE4FGtKcACHH57kvg..."
- "Which papers? Did I miss something? It seemed like your claim was based on those two papers (Lu..."
- "Pike squares, infantry squares, and other tactical formations are obsolete, but phalanxes and testudo..."
- "Revolutions are not funded by their own government. If it were a revolution, investment in the..."
- DNA may survive suborbital spaceflight, re-entry
- Post-medieval Polish buried as potential 'vampires' were likely local
- Arctic conditions may become critical for polar bears by end of 21st century
- Blistering skin disease may be treatable with 'therapeutic reprogramming,' researchers say
- Carnegie Mellon researchers identify brain regions that encode words, grammar, story