A Glossary of Alternative Reality #1
If you analyse deliberate disinformation deeply - and manage to retain your sanity - you tend to observe some fascinating nuances and psychological tricks.
A bonus in such analyses is the discovery of things which - expressed in deliberately non-scientific terms - are quite amusing.
In an alternate reality, you might find definitions like mine in a dictionary or glossary.
A scientific instrument for detecting the difference between
30.000 000 m.p.h.
30.000 001 m.p.h.
usually in order to make enough money from fines to buy more cameras.
See also: circular argument.
a. John is telling lies, because Jane says so.
b. Jane is telling the truth, because John says so.
Who is telling porkies?
An observer states that this isn't an example of a circular argument, but a paradox.
The observer's proof that statements a and b constitute a paradox shows that
paradoxes consist of statements having the same logical construction as a and b.
See also: circular argument.
A lack of caliginous, fuliginous umbrated or tenebrous terms.
The only man who ever made himself perfectly clear was The Invisible Man,
and look what happened to him! His eyes were invisible and so he couldn't look at what
happened to himself.
He eventually found his way to a hospital, where he kept asking the receptionist:
"When can I see a doctor?", and she kept replying:
"The doctor can't see you yet.""
See also: dilemma.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- For New President - Is Moon More Interesting Next Step For Astronauts Than Boulder Plucked From Asteroid?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Was Euclid A Black Woman? Sorting Through The False History And Bad Philosophy Of Mathematics
- "Okay if it is the two suns videos, those are due to offset lens reflections, most of them. Or lens..."
- "I believe in nibiru i would go as far as to say its there the videos the pictures all prove it..."
- "What is it you believe? Do you think we have two suns? Do you think there is a planet hiding behind..."
- "Haha get ready people your all about to be in for a shock then lets see who is a liar anybody want..."
- "Quite simply, the structure does not exist. What is observed is a fluctuation.BestT...."
- Shining a Light on AMA's Dim View of LED Street Lamps
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: Health meets Hollywood Q&A
- Calcium and CVD Don't Seem Connected
- How Many Genes Does It Take to Make a Person?
- To Avoid Adult Dysfunction Start 'IN UTERO'
- ACSH Medical Director Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians, We're In The Economist, And More