A Glossary of Alternative Reality #1
If you analyse deliberate disinformation deeply - and manage to retain your sanity - you tend to observe some fascinating nuances and psychological tricks.
A bonus in such analyses is the discovery of things which - expressed in deliberately non-scientific terms - are quite amusing.
In an alternate reality, you might find definitions like mine in a dictionary or glossary.
A scientific instrument for detecting the difference between
30.000 000 m.p.h.
30.000 001 m.p.h.
usually in order to make enough money from fines to buy more cameras.
See also: circular argument.
a. John is telling lies, because Jane says so.
b. Jane is telling the truth, because John says so.
Who is telling porkies?
An observer states that this isn't an example of a circular argument, but a paradox.
The observer's proof that statements a and b constitute a paradox shows that
paradoxes consist of statements having the same logical construction as a and b.
See also: circular argument.
A lack of caliginous, fuliginous umbrated or tenebrous terms.
The only man who ever made himself perfectly clear was The Invisible Man,
and look what happened to him! His eyes were invisible and so he couldn't look at what
happened to himself.
He eventually found his way to a hospital, where he kept asking the receptionist:
"When can I see a doctor?", and she kept replying:
"The doctor can't see you yet.""
See also: dilemma.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- The Politics Of Antibiotic Resistance Factor MCR
- Italian Food Scientists Are Tired Of Phony Cheese
- Energy Consumption Will Increase 48% By 2040, Led By Countries Exempt From Climate Treaties
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Ancient DNA Study Finds Phoenician From Carthage Had European Ancestry
- "Both the Pacific Salmon Forum and the Cohen Commission agree there is scant evidence farming salmon..."
- "If interested in an electromagnetic model of the photon structure and its absorption process, as..."
- "I agree with you in theory, but in the case of this particular salmon, I do not think it will turn..."
- "Homeopathy is based on the ‘like cures like’ principle: if a substance causes a set of symptoms..."
- "scuentific ?????????..."
- The taste or smell of foods can affect aging, say scientists
- New malaria drugs kill by promoting premature parasite division
- How prions kill neurons: New culture system shows early toxicity to dendritic spines
- The brain needs cleaning to stay healthy
- In brain-injured patients, a way to measure awareness or its impending return