A Glossary of Alternative Reality #1
If you analyse deliberate disinformation deeply - and manage to retain your sanity - you tend to observe some fascinating nuances and psychological tricks.
A bonus in such analyses is the discovery of things which - expressed in deliberately non-scientific terms - are quite amusing.
In an alternate reality, you might find definitions like mine in a dictionary or glossary.
A scientific instrument for detecting the difference between
30.000 000 m.p.h.
30.000 001 m.p.h.
usually in order to make enough money from fines to buy more cameras.
See also: circular argument.
a. John is telling lies, because Jane says so.
b. Jane is telling the truth, because John says so.
Who is telling porkies?
An observer states that this isn't an example of a circular argument, but a paradox.
The observer's proof that statements a and b constitute a paradox shows that
paradoxes consist of statements having the same logical construction as a and b.
See also: circular argument.
A lack of caliginous, fuliginous umbrated or tenebrous terms.
The only man who ever made himself perfectly clear was The Invisible Man,
and look what happened to him! His eyes were invisible and so he couldn't look at what
happened to himself.
He eventually found his way to a hospital, where he kept asking the receptionist:
"When can I see a doctor?", and she kept replying:
"The doctor can't see you yet.""
See also: dilemma.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- On integrating out short-distance physics
- Is The Micropower Revolution Here?
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- Wall Crawling With More Accuracy: Van Der Waals Force Re-Measured
- "nice visit http://www.clubsideeffects.com..."
- "Chimpanzees go to war with each other and yet they did not evolve into a similarly intelligent..."
- "I have always thought that that formulas like (1) are not clear . If G(u) is a primitive of f(u)..."
- "I am indeed checking with vanEnglesdorp even though the matter seems quite clear cut to me: showing..."
- "Hi, the comics linked below seems to deal with a similar stuff. http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3554#comi..."
- Study reveals significantly increased risk of stillbirth in males
- Moderate coffee consumption may lower the risk of Alzheimer's disease by up to 20 percent
- New research supporting stroke rehabilitation
- The artificial pancreas shown to improve the treatment of type 1 diabetes
- The Lancet: Leading medical experts call for an end to UK postcode lottery for liver disease treatment and detection