A Glossary of Alternative Reality #1
If you analyse deliberate disinformation deeply - and manage to retain your sanity - you tend to observe some fascinating nuances and psychological tricks.
A bonus in such analyses is the discovery of things which - expressed in deliberately non-scientific terms - are quite amusing.
In an alternate reality, you might find definitions like mine in a dictionary or glossary.
A scientific instrument for detecting the difference between
30.000 000 m.p.h.
30.000 001 m.p.h.
usually in order to make enough money from fines to buy more cameras.
See also: circular argument.
a. John is telling lies, because Jane says so.
b. Jane is telling the truth, because John says so.
Who is telling porkies?
An observer states that this isn't an example of a circular argument, but a paradox.
The observer's proof that statements a and b constitute a paradox shows that
paradoxes consist of statements having the same logical construction as a and b.
See also: circular argument.
A lack of caliginous, fuliginous umbrated or tenebrous terms.
The only man who ever made himself perfectly clear was The Invisible Man,
and look what happened to him! His eyes were invisible and so he couldn't look at what
happened to himself.
He eventually found his way to a hospital, where he kept asking the receptionist:
"When can I see a doctor?", and she kept replying:
"The doctor can't see you yet.""
See also: dilemma.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- Erupting Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Sits On A Massive Magma Hot Spot
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- ASTEROIDS Act: Who Owns Space?
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- "Part of being a theorist in any subfield is trying to explain the results that we have in hand..."
- "This essay interested me immensely. My father claimed to be an 'atheist' all his life but..."
- "Not all of us are explorers, much less pioneers. The author is certainly not the latter and too..."
- " Obviously 300% more fish farming means more illnesses and more antibiotic use.Is it really..."
- "thermocamera caught surface temperatire, as discovered out by Giancarlo here. ..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous