A Glossary of Alternative Reality #1
If you analyse deliberate disinformation deeply - and manage to retain your sanity - you tend to observe some fascinating nuances and psychological tricks.
A bonus in such analyses is the discovery of things which - expressed in deliberately non-scientific terms - are quite amusing.
In an alternate reality, you might find definitions like mine in a dictionary or glossary.
A scientific instrument for detecting the difference between
30.000 000 m.p.h.
30.000 001 m.p.h.
usually in order to make enough money from fines to buy more cameras.
See also: circular argument.
a. John is telling lies, because Jane says so.
b. Jane is telling the truth, because John says so.
Who is telling porkies?
An observer states that this isn't an example of a circular argument, but a paradox.
The observer's proof that statements a and b constitute a paradox shows that
paradoxes consist of statements having the same logical construction as a and b.
See also: circular argument.
A lack of caliginous, fuliginous umbrated or tenebrous terms.
The only man who ever made himself perfectly clear was The Invisible Man,
and look what happened to him! His eyes were invisible and so he couldn't look at what
happened to himself.
He eventually found his way to a hospital, where he kept asking the receptionist:
"When can I see a doctor?", and she kept replying:
"The doctor can't see you yet.""
See also: dilemma.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Anomaly! Book Of The Week At Times Higher Education
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- It's Been Another Record Year For Agriculture - When Do Climate Change Forecasts Come True?
- Climate Change Made The Sahara Green - Then Took It Away Again
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- Sitting Linked To Premature Aging - And Hopefully Skepticism
- How Viruses Leave Messages For Descendants On How To 'Infect'
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- A Drug 85 Times More Potent than THC Caused 'Zombie Outbreak' in New York City
- Doubt Cast Over Sunscreen-Vs.-Shade Study
- ABCD: Obesity Has A New Name, Will It Stop The Epidemic?
- President George H. W. Bush in ICU, Wife Barbara in Same Hospital
- Media Think World of Science and Health Will End on Inauguration Day 2017
- And Then There Were Three: A New Trivalent Herpes Vaccine Enters The Scene