Want to help identify the ages of star clusters in the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy, M83?
It is difficult to get a computer to measure star cluster age categories or the structure of glowing hydrogen gas since these features come in all shapes and sizes. Similarly, it can be hard for a computer to measure the properties of a star cluster in a very crowded field like this.
Human beings are much better than computers at making the kinds of distinctions astronomers need to gauge the ages of the clusters, so now you can have a seat and join the fun - you get to be the unpaid labor. The interactive online project Star Date: M83 will provide you with a variety of star clusters and a series of questions that help define their ages.
Scientists will use your info to learn how star clusters are born, evolve and eventually disperse into a galaxy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- Native Grass Make Super-Thin Condoms
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Starting Age Of Marijuana Use May Have Long-term Effects On Brain Development
- Lipid-based Diets Effectively Combat Alzheimer's Disease In Mouse Model
- Inconvenient Truth: There Are Synthetic Pesticide Residues On Organic
- "Here's a link to the twins study: http://news.meta.com/2016/01/18/twinsstudy/..."
- "Marijuana creates a greater degree of grey matter in the brain. it is the most important human..."
- "The USA is not a democracy it is a federal republic based on a combination of Native American and..."
- "There are recent longitudinal studies, with well over 100 sets of twins included. The studies disclosed..."
- "Hi Tommaso,There are by now many hypothetical and speculative ways to explain possible new particles..."
- National Academy of Medicine Supports Replacing Faulty Mitochondrial DNA
- Pregnant & Still Smoking: Better Way Needed To Quit
- ‘Healthy Obesity’ May Be an Oxymoron, Study Says
- Keeping the PBJ, While Chasing NBA Immortality
- The Public Toilet Seat’s Place on the ‘Ick Scale’
- Moms-to-Be: Take Chocolate Benefits With Grain of Salt