Want to help identify the ages of star clusters in the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy, M83?
It is difficult to get a computer to measure star cluster age categories or the structure of glowing hydrogen gas since these features come in all shapes and sizes. Similarly, it can be hard for a computer to measure the properties of a star cluster in a very crowded field like this.
Human beings are much better than computers at making the kinds of distinctions astronomers need to gauge the ages of the clusters, so now you can have a seat and join the fun - you get to be the unpaid labor. The interactive online project Star Date: M83 will provide you with a variety of star clusters and a series of questions that help define their ages.
Scientists will use your info to learn how star clusters are born, evolve and eventually disperse into a galaxy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Post-Doctoral Positions In Experimental Physics For Foreigners
- Petition: Let's End Dramatized Reporting Of "Doomsday" Stories - The Vulnerable Get Suicidal
- Ramen Noodles Supplanting Cigarettes As Currency Among Prisoners
- Gödel,Frenkel, Kurzweil, and Hawkins on AI
- The Status Of HEP After ICHEP
- How To Become A Charlatan In 9 Easy Steps
- "Dylan, yes back online now. The Sun, and Moon are visible in all those places, of course, so if..."
- "Tina, I think it's best to try to understand the constellation argument because then you can just..."
- "People worry about a system entering ours and spelling doomsday for us all, however I believe if..."
- " I appreciate your hard work and look forward to any future publications with great interest, thank..."
- "Yes, in answer to the question above, the authors discuss replicability and sample size of the..."
- Exercise Could Save Your Liver
- Precision Medicine Stands On Imprecise Infrastructure
- Standing with Giants: A Collection of Public Health Essays in Memoriam to Dr. Elizabeth M. Whelan
- RIP Dr. D.A. Henderson, ACSH Trustee Who Helped End Smallpox
- How Safe Are Tattoos?
- Mystery Meat: What Other Animals Are in that Hot Dog?
- Asbestos can move in soil
- Guarana found to have higher antioxidant potential than green tea
- Global allergy epidemic -- new data on vaccines/probiotics and dairy allergy
- Color-graded pictogram label to reduce medicine-related traffic crashes found ineffective
- Astronomers identify a young heavyweight star in the Milky Way