Want to help identify the ages of star clusters in the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy, M83?
It is difficult to get a computer to measure star cluster age categories or the structure of glowing hydrogen gas since these features come in all shapes and sizes. Similarly, it can be hard for a computer to measure the properties of a star cluster in a very crowded field like this.
Human beings are much better than computers at making the kinds of distinctions astronomers need to gauge the ages of the clusters, so now you can have a seat and join the fun - you get to be the unpaid labor. The interactive online project Star Date: M83 will provide you with a variety of star clusters and a series of questions that help define their ages.
Scientists will use your info to learn how star clusters are born, evolve and eventually disperse into a galaxy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated." UPDATED
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- The ATLAS Top Production Asymmetry And One Thing I Do Not Like Of It
- New Rapid Test Kit Detects Dengue Antibodies From Saliva
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- Lower Sea Level In Europe Caused By Ocean Surface Slope
- " Beyond Einstein and E=mc2 pp.546, Chapters 7 Publisher, Cambridge International Science Publisher..."
- "Nuclear is only high cost because we don't do it;.... the upfront cost is too high due to no one..."
- "I think the article you linked examined the other conditional. The authors statement examines P(Party..."
- "The comment section proves the author's point. It is always amazing to see how far the left's confirmation..."
- "What is funny about that; 8 years ago when we started, the denial community said global warming..."
- One of the world's rarest large cats, the Saharan cheetah, caught on film!
- Hot spots mapped: Arsenic taints many U.S. wells
- Copy number variations: Sequencing genetic duplications could aid clinical interpretation
- Study analyzes Internet, mobile and video game effects on young users
- The source of gypsum in the longest cave system in the world