Want to help identify the ages of star clusters in the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy, M83?
It is difficult to get a computer to measure star cluster age categories or the structure of glowing hydrogen gas since these features come in all shapes and sizes. Similarly, it can be hard for a computer to measure the properties of a star cluster in a very crowded field like this.
Human beings are much better than computers at making the kinds of distinctions astronomers need to gauge the ages of the clusters, so now you can have a seat and join the fun - you get to be the unpaid labor. The interactive online project Star Date: M83 will provide you with a variety of star clusters and a series of questions that help define their ages.
Scientists will use your info to learn how star clusters are born, evolve and eventually disperse into a galaxy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Top Scientists Chastise Greenpeace
- Watering Solar Cells Makes Them Grow ... In Power!
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "If something was about to hit us how will we find out before ..."
- "You have a point. I grew up on an organic farm long before those were cool - it was called being..."
- "The same argument applies to all and any possible dates. Ask them which constellation it is in..."
- "No, because the whole thing is smoke and mirrors, it's impossible. If anyone says there's a planet..."
- Opercular index score: A novel approach for determining clinical outcomes in stroke
- Cataclysm at Meteor Crater: Crystal sheds light on Earth, moon, Mars
- Workforce processes prior to mechanical thrombectomy vary widely, new study finds
- Male frogs have sex on land to keep competitors away
- Cord blood outperforms matched, unrelated donor in bone marrow transplant