Want to help identify the ages of star clusters in the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy, M83?
It is difficult to get a computer to measure star cluster age categories or the structure of glowing hydrogen gas since these features come in all shapes and sizes. Similarly, it can be hard for a computer to measure the properties of a star cluster in a very crowded field like this.
Human beings are much better than computers at making the kinds of distinctions astronomers need to gauge the ages of the clusters, so now you can have a seat and join the fun - you get to be the unpaid labor. The interactive online project Star Date: M83 will provide you with a variety of star clusters and a series of questions that help define their ages.
Scientists will use your info to learn how star clusters are born, evolve and eventually disperse into a galaxy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- "There is no question they were created to cater to universities and are staffed by people from..."
- "And my second link should be not a copy of the first, but this: http://www.nature.com/news/half..."
- "Recently I saw The Conversation remove/censor legitimate comments arguing against an article written..."
- tags because there's no testing..." href="/robert_inventor/why_we_cant_backup_earth_on_mars_the_moon_or_anywhere_else_in_our_solar_system-148364#comment-182183">"Robert, you might want to reformat my post. I intended to highlight only the headlines for easy..."
- "My only complaint with good thinkers and writers has hither always been that they should produce..."
- Behavioral interventions to prevent progression to diabetes equally effective in men and women
- Gender differences in adaptation to space flight
- Long-term complication rate low in nose job using patient's own rib cartilage
- Survival differences seen for advanced-stage laryngeal cancer
- Effect of once-daily, low-dose aspirin on heart attack deaths and other outcomes