Like fresh fish? Apparently so did the Romans, to such an extent a hydraulic system found on an ancient wreck suggests they must have hauled live fish across the Mediterranean for sale and trade.
Consisting of a pumping system designed to suck the sea water into a fish tank, the apparatus has been reconstructed by a team of Italian researchers who analyzed a unique feature of the wreck: a lead pipe inserted in the hull near the keel.
Roman Ship Carried Live Fish Tank - Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News
Hull of the second-century Roman shipwreck in 1986, when it was discovered off the coast of Grado in northeastern Italy. Credit: Ministero per i Beni e le Attivita Culturali, Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici del Friuli Venezia Giulia
Discovery News has a slideshow of the hydraulic system here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Your Probiotic Probably Has Gluten
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Mummy Madness In The Anatomical Record - All Open Access
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- The Case Of The Missing Booze: Brits Drink 12 Million More Bottles Per Week Than Previous Estimates
- Risk Management Turned Upside Down
- Researchers Recovered A Dinosaur Foot From A Bird
- "Well, Soon after having sent my previous comment I got a message from Neil Sloane that he had published..."
- "This phenomenon is familiar to market researchers. (I used to be one.) Causes are:  ..."
- "I appreciate the moderate tone - that is welcome (and rather rare, in public forums) - but of course..."
- "The Most Luminous Galaxy Has Been Hidden Until Now http://thingumbobesquire.blogspot.com/2015/05/the..."
- "Yes, I think part of it is the difference of the doctor and the patient perspective.DOCTOR'S PERSPECTIVEFrom..."
- Mood instability common to mental health disorders and associated with poor outcomes
- Depression associated with 5-fold increase in mortality risk for heart failure patients
- Anticipating temptation may reduce unethical behavior
- Deciphering clues to prehistoric climate changes locked in cave deposits
- Vaccines developed for H5N1, H7N9 avian influenza strains