Like fresh fish? Apparently so did the Romans, to such an extent a hydraulic system found on an ancient wreck suggests they must have hauled live fish across the Mediterranean for sale and trade.
Consisting of a pumping system designed to suck the sea water into a fish tank, the apparatus has been reconstructed by a team of Italian researchers who analyzed a unique feature of the wreck: a lead pipe inserted in the hull near the keel.
Roman Ship Carried Live Fish Tank - Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News
Hull of the second-century Roman shipwreck in 1986, when it was discovered off the coast of Grado in northeastern Italy. Credit: Ministero per i Beni e le Attivita Culturali, Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici del Friuli Venezia Giulia
Discovery News has a slideshow of the hydraulic system here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- The Mystery Of The Red Sea
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Stop Using BMI To Determine Health
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Why Diamonds Are More Of A Scientific Miracle Than You Think
- Losing Fat While Gaining Muscle: Scientists Close In On 'holy Grail' Of Diet And Exercise
- "Wow, this is some pretty bad stuff. Tell me Frank, why is Venus hotter than Mercury. Seriously..."
- "This article calls to mind the Diamond Group at the Reading University Physics Department. They..."
- "Greetings Robert. Thanks again for your thoughts on God. I read your two statements and here are..."
- "Hello Vance,yes I know about that model, and about at least two experimental attempts, one with..."
- "No, I am not from the states. It sounds like an astonishing arrangement to have multiple jurisdiction..."
- Florida Declares Zika Virus State of Emergency
- Indonesia’s Many Human Physical Deformities: A Closer Look
- Spinal ‘Column’: Love for Hunchback Dog, Breakthrough for 8-Yr-Old Girl
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Cambridge researcher develops smartphone app to map Swiss-German dialects
- Studies link healthy workforces to positive stock market performance
- Pioneering discovery leads to potential preventive treatment for sudden cardiac death
- Online shopping might not be as green as we thought
- Gene family turns cancer cells into aggressive stem cells that keep growing