Like fresh fish? Apparently so did the Romans, to such an extent a hydraulic system found on an ancient wreck suggests they must have hauled live fish across the Mediterranean for sale and trade.
Consisting of a pumping system designed to suck the sea water into a fish tank, the apparatus has been reconstructed by a team of Italian researchers who analyzed a unique feature of the wreck: a lead pipe inserted in the hull near the keel.
Roman Ship Carried Live Fish Tank - Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News
Hull of the second-century Roman shipwreck in 1986, when it was discovered off the coast of Grado in northeastern Italy. Credit: Ministero per i Beni e le Attivita Culturali, Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici del Friuli Venezia Giulia
Discovery News has a slideshow of the hydraulic system here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Phase-Change Materials Set New Speed Limit For Silicon
- More Children Making Music, But Are Lessons Too Conventional?
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Watching Neurons Learn: Learning New Ideas Is More Difficult
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- Erosion Rate and Previous Extent of Interior Layered Deposits on Mars Revealed by Obstructed Landslides
- "Sorry, I do not quite get your point. What do you object to ? The fact that the SM lagrangian remains..."
- "Recently someone requested my opinion on a book to read authored by a woman who runs a health spa..."
- "Bad idea. A person may be having those feelings for any number of reasons. A man may be angry because..."
- " Quantum Mechanics (intellectual dishonesty) at its finest, a never ending logical fallacy of moving..."
- "Please re-read the first paragraph. It's missing an ending......"
- Gibbon genome sequence deepens understanding of primates rapid chromosomal rearrangements
- Combining antibodies, iron nanoparticles and magnets steers stem cells to injured organs
- Messier 54 lithium: This star cluster is not what it seems
- Sharks more abundant on healthy coral reefs
- Using plants to produce enzyme may provide treatment for high blood pressure in lungs