Animal rights groups have gotten smarter in recent years.
It used to be their tactics were denial of science, ethical posturing and inflammatory ads in newspapers, but now it is naked women and building business-to-business relationships with food companies.
Why? So they can influence how animals are raised with companies that buy large quantities of pork, like McDonald’s, Burger King and most recently, Marriott. That's a good thing, right? Be part of the solution.
Yes, but representatives of these groups have stretched the truth in terms of the number of operations that use group housing for gestating sows. Neil Dierks, Chief Executive Officer of the National Pork Producers Council (NPPC) says animal rights groups have been very successful in “exploiting the gap of knowledge”, claiming, for example, that more than 25% of gestating sows are already housed in groups, while in reality the number is closer to 6%.
It's good that industry leaders are taking a more proactive role in helping consumers and food companies understand how food is raised and how it can be improved. Here is hoping animal activist groups can adopt some ethics as well.
Animal rights groups exploit “gap of knowledge” by JoAnn Alumbaugh, BovineVetOnline
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Not Just Vitamin D - The Radiation In Sunshine May Be Healthy
- Ignorance Of Math And Physics Is No Excuse
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Quantum Cryptography Core Question At The Heart Of Quantum Information Theory Answered?!?
- Mars Lost An Ocean’s Worth Of Water
- Science Debunks Fad Ideas About Autism, But That Doesn't Dissuade Believers
- GMO Soybean Oil Is Healthier Than Organic Or Conventional
- "So many people in Australia nowadays are afraid of any direct contact with the Sun because they..."
- "Nope You can treat for the mites. It is done effectively every day. And the poorly funded research..."
- "And you would not equate McCarthy to Hitler or Stalin? ..."
- "Because anti-communism is indeed on the same shelf as racism and greed. Just another ideology of..."
- "I think I have to agree with you here. I think he changed the culture of doping not doping itself..."
- BPA harms dental enamel in young animals, mimicking human tooth defect
- People with anorexia, body dysmorphic disorder share brain anomalies
- Feeling sleepy? Might be the melatonin
- Chromosomal rearrangement is the key to progress against aggressive infant leukemia
- Infant growth affected by exposure to environmental pollutants